Contribute
Register

4K Monitor Support in OS X 10.9.3 - Testing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have Dell UP2414Q and cant get 60hz to work on EVGA 660ti, MacPro 6,1 smbios makes the screen go blank on DP 1.2 and iMac 14,2 works at 30hz only.

But these MTS monitors have issues outside of OS too:

• When using DisplayPort in MST mode, NVIDIA cards fail to POST about 50% of the time. When this happens, you have to hit the reboot button on the computer (power off then back on does not work) in order to POST successfully. PC Perspective also had this issue and reported it as an issue with the STMicro firmware on ASUS motherboards. This should be fixed in a firmware update in the near future.

• NVIDIA and Intel displays in MST mode cannot see the BIOS or POST screens on our ASUS Sabertooth Z87 motherboard. DisplayPort in SST mode and single HDMI, however, work fine. This issue does not happen with AMD video cards.

• Also related to DisplayPort in MST mode, before the NVIDIA driver is installed you only get a black screen when the OS boots. You have to switch to SST mode, install the NVIDIA driver, then switch back to MST mode.

• Finally, we initially had some problems when testing HDMI that ended up being due to the cable not being HDMI 1.4a compliant. So unlike SATA cables, make sure your cables are compliant with the latest specification.

http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/4K-Monitor-Requirements-and-Usage-492/#OtherConsiderations

I have a UP2414Q and a GTX-770.
Retina resolutions are gorgeous, just like MBP.

I can't get 60hz to work tough. I don't see the option to change it to 60Hz.
I'm using mini DP cable connected to displayport on the GTX-770.

I have 4K 60Hz working on Windows.

Have you tried enabling DisplayPort 1.2 in the settings of the monitor then restart your computer?

Had to do that with the Asus I use at work.

Please read the Rules.

"Prerelease Software or Developer Builds are covered by NDA and therefore there cannot be any discussion of features included or removed within said software."

I don't believe this is still true of Yosemite—certainly not the public beta seeds. Isn't it time to update the rules accordingly?

I don't believe this is still true of Yosemite—certainly not the public beta seeds. Isn't it time to update the rules accordingly?

5.Definition of Confidential Information. You agree that the Pre-Release Software and any information concerning the Pre-Release Software (including its nature and existence, features, functionality, and screen shots), the Seeding Tools, and any other information disclosed by Apple to you in connection with the Beta Program will be considered and referred to in this Agreement as “Confidential Information.” Information that otherwise would be deemed Confidential Information but (a) is generally and legitimately available to the public through no fault or breach of yours, (b) is generally made available to the public by Apple, (c) is independently developed by you without the use of any Confidential Information, (d) was rightfully obtained from a third party who had the right to transfer or disclose it to you without limitation, or (e) any third party software and/or documentation provided to you by Apple and accompanied by licensing terms that do not impose confidentiality obligations on the use or disclosure of such software and/or documentation will not be considered Confidential Information under this Agreement. All Confidential Information remains the sole property of Apple and you have no implied licenses or other rights in the Confidential Information not specified in this Agreement.

6.Nonuse and Nondisclosure of Confidential Information. Except as expressly permitted in this Section 6, you agree that you will not disclose, publish, or otherwise disseminate any Confidential Information to anyone other than individuals who are enrolled in the same individual seed as you, or as otherwise expressly permitted or agreed to in writing by Apple. You further agree to take reasonable precautions to prevent any unauthorized use, disclosure, publication, or dissemination of Confidential Information, including preventing access to or display of the Apple Software to third parties. You agree to accept Confidential Information for the sole purpose of effecting the permitted uses of the Apple Software as set forth in this Agreement. You agree not to use Confidential Information otherwise for your own or any third party’s benefit without the prior written approval of an authorized representative of Apple in each instance. You hereby acknowledge that unauthorized disclosure or use of Confidential Information could cause irreparable harm and significant injury to Apple that may be difficult to ascertain. Accordingly, you agree that Apple will have the right to seek immediate injunctive relief to enforce obligations under this Agreement in addition to any other rights and remedies it may have.

https://appleseed.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/legal

The text from Apple is quite clear on this subject.

Hi,

i have a Philips Brilliance 288P6

i think is the same panel that Asus and Samsung

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/...=nl&scy=nl&mid=Link_Software&ctn=288P6LJEB/00

sorry i can't find it on amazon or Newegg

OSD menu > Setup > DisplayPort > 1.2 (default 1.1)

Intel HD 4600
Windows 8.1 using DP 4k OK
MacOS 10.9.4 not working

ATI 7700 GHz Edition
Winsows and Mac DP 4k @60hz screen make estrange effects. not working
@30hz ok but noise on speakers

GTX 680
Windows and Mac via DP 4k OK :)

I am considering get one of that monitor. Were you able to run this monitor at 4k@60Hz on OSX? Does the scaled resolution(retina like) also works at 60hz?

Thanks

The text from Apple is quite clear on this subject.[/FONT][/COLOR]

They are also quite clear that installing OS X on non-Apple hardware violates the EULA. Yet, here we are.

But that aside, Apple's NDA has become increasingly irrelevant. I think it exists now just to appease the lawyers. Note that you are allowed to discuss about anything that Apple has revealed publicly. This year, that's essentially everything, as they made their WWDC session videos available to the public.

They are also quite clear that installing OS X on non-Apple hardware violates the EULA. Yet, here we are.

But that aside, Apple's NDA has become increasingly irrelevant. I think it exists now just to appease the lawyers. Note that you are allowed to discuss about anything that Apple has revealed publicly. This year, that's essentially everything, as they made their WWDC session videos available to the public.

The situation here is that the NDA is observed. Whether anyone agrees with that situation is their own private view. The NDA is not irrelevant on this site and that is reflected in the rules of the site. This is clear and is a position repeated often enough. To use this site you need to abide by the rules of the site - that is a position of fairness to all users.

Anyone who signs up for software under development from Apple is doing so by consent to the agreement entered into between themselves as individuals and Apple in the terms and conditions of the product as laid out by Apple in the text above.

It will not come as a surprise to find that the position here has not weakened with regards to the topic of NDA from any company of note such as Apple. Should the position change in the future then these changes will be expressed through the rules of the site.

Was just starting to do a little shopping to see if a 4K TV would also make a good monitor for my music studio computer (of course I'd need to get an updated GPU & add to my system now). Most of the discussion thus far has been around true 4K computer monitors.

Took my late 2013 MBP into BestBuy and connected up to a new model 50" Samsung 4K TV, and it looked pretty good running Pro Tools - but I can definitely see that this whole 30hz-over-HDMI issue could start to annoy me down the road. Of course I wouldn't be watching any UHD movies, or doing any gaming of any sort... so maybe the 30Hz issue really shouldn't be an issue for me... but I'm getting off track:

Would love to know people's thoughts about THIS 4K UHD TV from Visio. If you click the Specs tab, and take a close look at all the HDMI ports, note that HDMI port #5 is listed as: UHD Video @60Hz, HDCP 2.2 support ... !!! Could this be possible???

So could this mean that 60Hz is no longer limited to display port...at least on this TV? If so, do we have any current graphics cards that support 4k@60Hz over HDMI???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back