Graphics
Integrated
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I carelessly accepted a system update this afternoon on my previously well running 4530s Mountain Lion machine.

From what I recall the install included an iTunes update, improvements for remote desktop, a java update and 1-2 other enhancements. I've attached a screenshot of what I am now getting after rebooting.

I will admit that my skills and knowledge are not great however the resources here at tonymacx86 helped me a lot last year when I decided to turn this win7 machine into a HBP.

I am hoping with a little guidance that I will be able to bring this machine back.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me out!

James

Attachments

• IMG_20140406_132136_847-1.jpg
    IMG_20140406_132136_847-1.jpg
    623 KB · Views: 171
Wondering if someone could please tell me what options I have for fixing this install without overwriting the data that is on the drive.

I carelessly accepted a system update this afternoon on my previously well running 4530s Mountain Lion machine.

From what I recall the install included an iTunes update, improvements for remote desktop, a java update and 1-2 other enhancements. I've attached a screenshot of what I am now getting after rebooting.

I will admit that my skills and knowledge are not great however the resources here at tonymacx86 helped me a lot last year when I decided to turn this win7 machine into a HBP.

I am hoping with a little guidance that I will be able to bring this machine back.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me out!

James

Boot your install using the Unibeast USB with "-f" flag. Re-run the ProBook Installer for "OS X Support Kexts" appropriate for your laptop. Also re-patch DSDT if you have not used the latest ProBook Installer in a while.

Thank you very much RehabMan. I will give this a try and report back soon.

Boot your install using the Unibeast USB with "-f" flag. Re-run the ProBook Installer for "OS X Support Kexts" appropriate for your laptop. Also re-patch DSDT if you have not used the latest ProBook Installer in a while.

I'm showing my complete noobness here. I located the usb drive that I used when I originally configured the 4530s in March 2013.

I booted -f as instructed, selected English language and now I'm at a screen that looks like it's going to have me resinstall the operating system. Is that what I want? I don't see anything about OS X Support Kexts. Most importantly, I don't want to lose the personal files that I've written to the HD.

Not sure what to do from here...

IMG_20140407_223514_467.jpg

I'm showing my complete noobness here. I located the usb drive that I used when I originally configured the 4530s in March 2013.

I booted -f as instructed, selected English language and now I'm at a screen that looks like it's going to have me resinstall the operating system. Is that what I want? I don't see anything about OS X Support Kexts. Most importantly, I don't want to lose the personal files that I've written to the HD.

Not sure what to do from here...

View attachment 88974

No. Boot the partition on your HDD using the Unibeast USB.

No. Boot the partition on your HDD using the Unibeast USB.

RehabMan, thank you so much for your help!!!

I was not been able to get the sick HDD working again but I took this opportunity to upgrade to an SSD.

After installing the SSD, I was unsuccessful using the most recent versions of UniBeast, MultiBeast and ProBookInstaller. I kept getting stuck. I used older versions of UniBeast, MultiBeast and ProBookInstaller that I had saved on the flash drive from March 2013 and was able to get 98% of everything working again (brightness controls don't work).

At one point the system was rebooting over and over, but I ended up using Chameleon Wizard and it fixed the issue.

I still have a lot of work to do as I'd like to become more comfortable and knowledgeable working on this machine. I'm nervous about doing any kind of upgrade in fear of messing everything up again. I know I'm missing out on a lot still using ML when I could be enjoying Mavericks. Once I get a solid backup of the SSD in hand, I'll be a little more adventurous!

Thanks again, I truly appreciate your responses. Take care!

RehabMan, thank you so much for your help!!!

I was not been able to get the sick HDD working again but I took this opportunity to upgrade to an SSD.

After installing the SSD, I was unsuccessful using the most recent versions of UniBeast, MultiBeast and ProBookInstaller. I kept getting stuck. I used older versions of UniBeast, MultiBeast and ProBookInstaller that I had saved on the flash drive from March 2013 and was able to get 98% of everything working again (brightness controls don't work).

At one point the system was rebooting over and over, but I ended up using Chameleon Wizard and it fixed the issue.

I still have a lot of work to do as I'd like to become more comfortable and knowledgeable working on this machine. I'm nervous about doing any kind of upgrade in fear of messing everything up again. I know I'm missing out on a lot still using ML when I could be enjoying Mavericks. Once I get a solid backup of the SSD in hand, I'll be a little more adventurous!

Thanks again, I truly appreciate your responses. Take care!

If you used Multibeast with your ProBook, you probably did something wrong. We do not use Multibeast on the ProBook... only the ProBook Installer.

Make sure you follow the guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook-4530s/77494-guide-installing-lion-hp-probook.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back