Contribute
Register

$295 "PovoMac" — The Cheapest "Hackintosh" Ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the advice trs96.

Purley out of interest why would suggest not going for the extra 1gb or the gt620 card?

I agree with TRS96 on the G2020 processor ;). The only benefit to having more RAM on a GPU like a GT610 is if it were able to work with 4K resolution - which it of course isn't able to do.

Adrian B

Thanks for the advice trs96.
Purley out of interest why would suggest not going for the extra 1gb or the gt620 card?
The reason I said that is that I've got the GT610 2GB version and it never even comes
close to using 1GB of the ram. That's on a 1080 p monitor. Anybody who buys
the GT610 anyway isn't likely to have a $3,000 4K 60 HZ monitor to connect it to.

The 620 isn't really plug and play like the 610 and doesn't perform much better
than the 610 so why bother ?

Has anybody made a Haswell PovoMac and if so what parts did you use? I'm interested in building a modern hackintosh but at the cheapest price lol. For example if I were to make a PovoMac, would I be able to add like a dedicated graphics card later on?

Take a look at the recently posted sticky at the top of "THE BUILD" section of the forum.
It lists what will work for a low cost Haswell CustoMac. It pretty much replaces this very
popular older thread called the PovoMac. You can always add a graphics card later on if
you have an open PCIe slot. If your cpu doesn't have HD3000/4000 or HD4600 then you'll
need one sooner or later. Most likely sooner.

$295 "PovoMac" — The Cheapest "Hackintosh" Ever!

The reason I said that is that I've got the GT610 2GB version and it never even comes
close to using 1GB of the ram. That's on a 1080 p monitor. Anybody who buys
the GT610 anyway isn't likely to have a $3,000 4K 60 HZ monitor to connect it to.

The 620 isn't really plug and play like the 610 and doesn't perform much better
than the 610 so why bother ?

That makes complete sense. Thanks for the clarification.

Looking again at things I'm wondering if the i3 3220 with integrated graphics might be the better option give it's about £10 more than the G2020 and Gt610 combined? Or would a dedicated GFX card offer a bit more power for the occasional Photoshop Cinema 4D use?

Apologies for bombarding with questions.

That makes complete sense. Thanks for the clarification.

Looking again at things I'm wondering if the i3 3220 with integrated graphics might be the better option give it's about £10 more than the G2020 and Gt610 combined? Or would a dedicated GFX card offer a bit more power for the occasional Photoshop Cinema 4D use?

Apologies for bombarding with questions.

You'd need to get the I3-3225 not the 3220 to get working HD3000 graphics. I'd estimate there wouldn't be much of a difference between HD3000 and a GT610 in terms graphics performance.
You could run more monitors off a gfx card though. The GT640 is probably the best choice for
low cost graphics.

Maybe just toss a coin. :think:

Hi guys,

I already own an Asus P5Q hackintosh with E7600 cpu and 460GTX graphics running mavericks with dsdt (my own) just fine.. Now I built a Povomac with GA-H61M-D2-B3 and a Sandy Bridge Pentium G860, using onboard graphics.

Unibeast installer starts just fine (with small delays) without boot flags and the installation finishes trouble free.. the problem appears upon the first reboot where the apple logo comes up then the screen goes black and then grey again with the mouse pointer showing and stays there forever..

Any ideas?

BR,
F

EDIT: Problem solved, integrated G860 graphics are not supported, had to use nvidia g220 pcie card with GraphicsEnabler=Yes PCIRootUID=1

$295 "PovoMac"
Intel Celeron G530, Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2-B3 (F8), Galaxy Nvidia GeForce 210

Does this PovoMac works with Mountain Lion? Or will it works with Mountain Lion in the future?

I am looking for a cheap recipe to buy all components step by step, build and install without many problems Mountain Lion on PC machine. The objetive is to build fast a machine to develop with Xcode, I read that Mountain Lion achieves the xcode 5, but Lion does not.

Great forum!!!

is there a reason people arent going for mavericks over mountain lion on a povomac? the reason im asking this is that I built this computer (using the original hardware) 3-4years ago, I've had a harddrive fail but other than that its a GA-H61M-D2-B3 mobo still running the old f4 firmware it came with, i3 2100 cpu and 8gb of ram.

when I built it to begin with it was designed to run snow leopard and over the years lion, mountain lion and mavericks have come along and it was working I didnt see the need to mess with it. when the drive failed (somehow the head suck to the platter, I dismantled it popped it loose and I managed to recover all but 2 files which is good) I had a looksie and followed the guide on here to upgrade using a mavericks download from the app store with uniboot and then post install fixes with multibeast.

To cut a long story short I reinstalled snow leopard and then mavericks after following the guide and I found I was getting issues with the ATI Radeon HD5450 (I was getting a white screen during boot) leaving me with the onboard graphics which are intel HD2000 which is unsupported in osx, so I could either use the 5450 and only be able to boot into safemode nothing else or boot into mavericks with no issues using the onboard hd2000 with a resolution of 1280x1024 on a 1920x1080 monitor. After a couple of days backing up the drive that failed to dvd-r I formatted and zero'd the new drive I'd just installed snow leopard and then mavericks on. So I reinstalled mavericks with the uniboot usb drive, I had to fix the boot0 error again but it takes all of five mins and im running mavericks as I write this, I do have to install a few kext's for the audio and probably a little fiddling with the 5450's kexts because I dont think its getting full QE/CI

Does this PovoMac works with Mountain Lion? Or will it works with Mountain Lion in the future?

I am looking for a cheap recipe to buy all components step by step, build and install without many problems Mountain Lion on PC machine. The objetive is to build fast a machine to develop with Xcode, I read that Mountain Lion achieves the xcode 5, but Lion does not.

Great forum!!!

Yes, it will work with Mountain Lion, but you can do much better than this if you can
do your Xcode work on Mavericks.

For about the same cost you can get a newer Haswell system that doesn't even need a
graphics card and has a much better CPU, the I3-4330. See the following thread.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/buying-ad...ll-build-how-low-can-you-go-6.html#post718464

You will need to to run Mavericks on it, not Mountain lion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back