Contribute
Register

20" Lampshade iMac G4 running Lion via Sandy Bridge ECX mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 20" iMac G4 running Lion via Sandy Bridge ECX board

Very impressive! :clap:
Perhaps for a more Apple feeling, you could change AMI Bios logo flashing your bios with Apple Logo.
What do you think about it?

That has to be IMHO the smoothest hack on this site . Where I used to work there was one of these . Always wanted to get my hands on it to pull it apart and see what's inside . Glad someone did , and figured out how to make it better .

I just picked up a iMac G4 1.0 Ghz - and found this post after googling for mods for the old system - this is awesome! Exactly what I want to do too! Can you go into detail what other cables you needed to get this board up and running? I've done a few Hackintosh builds, but I'm unfamiliar w/ this form factor motherboard.

Pure_Life, This board is really not much different from any other mini itx or atx board. There are "embedded" features such as LVDS, backlight control and pins for a SIM card, but I am not using any of these. There is a special proprietary audio cable, which I am not using due to native incompatibility with lion and the onboard audio. I used motherboard to USB cables for the rear ports. The power is a 12V 4 pin that is used as accessory power in most motherboards, but there is no atx power. The power switch and led connect to pins like any other board. This does use a Socket G2, which requires a mobile processor and heatsink, however.

Here is the datasheet: http://www.quanmax.com/upload/download/ ... 110804.pdf

And the user manual: http://www.quanmax.com/upload/download/ ... 028new.pdf

Just a comment about the 1 Ghz, this is a 17" iMac and there are two different types of pinouts for this neck so make sure you use the right one.

And thank you again to everyone for your comments and suggestions.

Hey jberg, this is a great hack project!!!

When you have some time, do you think you could list out the parts that you used?

This is one of the coolest hacks I've seen yet!

i want one now.
great work jberg

Ok I just called Sliger the motherboard is $260 the i3 processor with HD3000 graphics is 160 with heatsink, and $5 for the extra cable pack. $425 total.
I'm thinking this would make a good fix for an old mac mini g4 also....

Thanks so much. I can honestly say after using this for a while, its very stable and I haven't run into any problems. I do wish S3 sleep worked, but that's about it. I have completed a step by step guide with parts list. Chek it out here:

http://www.dremeljunkie.com/2011/11/all ... ds-to.html

I am starting work on a variation with better cooling, easier to use power source, and hopefully LED backlighting and capacitive touch screen. But, it does make some sacrifices like the optical drive and quiet operation. Thanks again for the kind words, Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back