Contribute
Register

20" Lampshade iMac G4 running Lion via Sandy Bridge ECX mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 20" iMac G4 running Lion via Sandy Bridge ECX board

Fabulous. Love your blog! keep the updates coming on the hackintosh capabilities! very exciting, shall be keeping a close eye on this for future mods.

Gus - thank you, I really appreciate that. And if you decide to go ahead with the 17" mod please let me know if anything is unclear or can be improved.

Minihack - it's truly my pleasure and I'm just sorry it took me so long to find this forum. Reading through many posts here and seeing people like yourself willing to go out of their way to help others complete their projects is great. In terms of the sleep issue it appears it's actually a "go to sleep", not "wake from sleep" issue. The display turns off, but the power indicator stays on, as does the fan. Neither USB nor Bluetooth peripherals are able to get the display to resume once in this state. The CMOS do not reset. When I change the "sleep depth" in the bios from S3 to S1, sleep appears to do the same thing in only shutting down the display. However, now a click from either a USB or Bluetooth peripheral turns the display back on. Obviously S1 sleep is far from ideal, but at least it's something. Yes, the DSDT is unmodified and I will use Application DSDT to extract it and will post it. I greatly appreciate your help. I'm going to clone the SSD tomorrow to give me a working backup. Thank you again, JB

20" iMac G4 running Lion via Sandy Bridge ECX board

IMG_0638.JPG
I am nearly complete. Everything fits and is up and running. The fan is whisper quiet and a bluetooth dongle on the back works fine. I just have to get the power button in line with the power button on the back of the iMac and finalize placement of the other rear ports.

IMG_0640.JPG
Right now the ports are just either coming out the back or lined up with the back, just to ensure they fit without a problem. I've decided to keep it simple with 4 USBs, Power connector, Ethernet, and 3.5mm Audio Jack

IMG_0639.jpg
I have it hooked up to the original keyboard and mouse and am using the Powerwave adapter to be able to use the original Apple Pro Speakers. I find the Powerwave to be quite useful so I do not want to destroy mine, but I may search for another and try to internalize it. The board inside can not be too thick and I do have some extra room between the DVD and the bottom of the dome. I would leach the 12V DC power off the power source, though I'm getting a little worried about overtaxing the PSU. Is internalizing this worth it? Besides the power brick, the powerwave is the only thing that this mod has that wasn't in the original iMac.

Display sleep and S1 sleep work fine, but S3 sleep is still a problem. I've cloned the drive to have a version that I can experiment with and will post the DSDT shortly. Another thing I could use assistance with is IDE/AHCI. Before securing the motherboard I decided to utilize the on board CF slot of this board. I put an extra 32GB card there and I loaded Windows 8 Developer Preview on there. The computer boots fine from the CF slot, but it is only recognized when I am in IDE not AHCI. This isn't a big deal as I don't expect to use this much, but it makes dual booting with Chameleon impossible. I'm not sure, but I believe its possible to load IDE drivers once you have Lion installed, is that correct? Is there any downside to doing this? If I do this would I be able to dual boot from IDE mode? This is certainly a feature I could live without, but any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• IMG_0640.JPG
    IMG_0640.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 404
  • IMG_0638.JPG
    IMG_0638.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 6,381
  • IMG_0639.jpg
    IMG_0639.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,115

That is badass!
I do want to do a 24" iMac but I need to knock out the builds I have going on right now lol
But your iMac is looking sweet!

IMG_0744.jpg

Finally completed!! Running 10.7 via Unibeast. Still have to get S3 sleep working, but otherwise its working beautifully. I had tried to internalize the ifire for the apple pro speakers, but it was pushing the limits of my pico power supply. So it is external and hooked up to the speakers. Otherwise only the powerbrick is external.

The microphone and power indicator on the LCD casing, internal DVD burner, wifi, and bluetooth all work. Wifi hooked up to the original wifi antenna and bluetooth via dongle on the back are also working. The 2.5" SSD is easily accessible via the bottom panel (where the airport card and ram were located) in case it needs to be swapped. There is also an onboard compact flash which I have Windows 8 DP on currently.

IMG_0754.jpg

IMG_0751.JPG

IMG_0741.jpg

Thanks for reading! - JB

Attachments

• IMG_0741.jpg
    IMG_0741.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 980
  • IMG_0744.jpg
    IMG_0744.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 554
  • IMG_0754.jpg
    IMG_0754.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2,231
  • IMG_0751.JPG
    IMG_0751.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 333

awesome :headbang: :clap: :clap:

Very Great Mod !! :D
It opens new frontiers to hackintosh's world... :beachball:

Better than the best g5 mod! :D :beachball:

Brilliant. Can't think of any way that this could be better. :thumbup:

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN6z-VXlnvg[/VIDEO]

Thank you very much for all the kind words. I'm still hopeful about S3 sleep, but even if its not meant to be, this came out better than I had envisioned.

I'm not sure if its mostly just nostalgia or truly related to its design, but this computer is really fun to use. The board has performed great and if anyone needs a small form factor hackintosh compatible board you should definitely consider this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back