Contribute
Register

16-core Intel Alder Lake-S CPU with DDR5 details leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s a very good question! Unfortunately we won’t really know until we have the gear on hand for testing. The system will still be x86 compatible for sure, but how Xe reacts we will have to wait and see.

Intel Xe gen 12.2 graphics is responsible for the video output. When it comes to memory, Alder Lake-S is finally bringing the newest DDR5 standard with a new motherboard chipset and socket called LGA 1700.

Don't forget about a brand new motherboard chipset too (600 series). If Apple doesn't use that in a new iMac it doesn't look good for hackintoshing with an Alder Lake CPU. By that time (next Fall) Apple should have converted most Macs to ASi with the exception of the Mac Pro. Even if that gets an Intel Refresh it won't be a consumer chipset motherboard. I don't even think Intel will sell Apple any Rocket Lake CPUs for use in a desktop Mac. Run too hot and are too inefficent for use in most all Macs.

LGA 1700 is designed as a replacement for the LGA 1200 (known as Socket H5). LGA 1700 has 1700 protruding pins to make contact with the pads on the processor. Unlike its predecessor LGA 1200, it'll have 500 more pins, which required a major change in socket and processor sizes; it is 7.5 mm longer. It is the first major change in Intel's LGA desktop CPU socket size since LGA 775 introduction in 2004, especially for consumer-grade CPU sockets. Larger size also required change in heatsink fastening holes configuration, making previously used cooling solutions incompatible with LGA 1700 motherboards and CPUs.

Last edited:
Alder Lake's first test in Geekbench 5.

GB5 i7-12700-geekbench.png

Power Consumption for Alder Lake is being reported as equal and or greater than Rocket Lake so no improvements there. And I agree with @trs96, who knows where that leaves anyone wanting to run MacOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back