Contribute
Register

10.9 on Z68: sleep or audio, not both!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I salute your efforts!
I don't have other suggestions, unfortunately...
Just one thing: are you doing your trials on a clean OS or on the same tinkered-a-lot OS?
Since my first days in hackintoshing, I've always backed up my OS, just after installing so I can always start my trials with a brand new one (especially because I've noticed that sometimes things are too rotten to be cured...) — and with SATA III disks, restoring a 6Gb image takes only a few minutes.
N.B.: it's noticeable that my first trials on a fresh 10.9 had sleep/wake working with npci=0x3000 while I had to change it to npci=0x4000 once I had imported everything from my working 10.6.8... :crazy: (or is it pure coincidence?)
Also, as problems persisted after I unplugged my disks and loaded my Bios presets, I'd suggest that you start with "optimized default", it seems to reset things 'better', if it makes sense... (you surely did, but just in case :angel: )
Have you asked Toleda or some of the sages here what they think?
If I were you, I'd make my trials directly on a fresh 10.9 and leave 10.8 behind (although it was a good OS), it probably won't be worse as you already don't have sleep ;). In my relatively fast trials the only absolutely necessary update I've found was Little Snitch to the last version, everything else works perfectly and, considering I put it on a SATA I, I'm sure it will be amazingly fast when I put it on a SATA III!

Yes, I know what you mean. It is a good idea to create a fresh install. I have a spare 500GB hard drive and might experiment. As you know it is also quicker - an update takes 40-minutes but a fresh install only takes 20 !

It is indeed difficult to know where to go next with this problem. Perhaps I should just live with it, but you are right, I like to tinker until I get something working :lol:

Just for teasing you, I've just timed restoring a 3.27Gb on SATA III with Disk Utility: exactly 2mn! :mrgreen:
(I should create a thread about the "best practice" for creating the image: one of them is to clear all system and user caches, the last time you start from that partition — along with classical OSX techniques to get rid of useless components —, the second one is to reduce the size of the partition to the minimum, before creating the image ;) )
Note that for the first time in my OSX experience, I couldn't make it updating to 10.9 (actually, the update made its work but after restart It still was 10.6.8... o_O )
I had to do a fresh install (then create the backup image ;) ) and use Migration Assistant, that's perfect! :headbang:

It sounds so strange that you can't get sleep to work as our machines are so similar... I know that, for myself, I'd prefer staying in 10.6.8 or 10.8.3 than not having sleep working.
Ah, one idea comes to my mind: you know of "deep sleep"? Well it doesn't work for me (while it was perfect on my last iMac) but who knows if it would be the solution for you? (actually it's a lot better than normal sleep)
To check your sleep state in Terminal: "pmset -g | grep hibernatemode"
To change it, there is a Terminal command but SafeSleepOnce.app works great (on a real Mac... :() — if it doesn't work, don't forget, after reverting to normal sleep, to cancel the "sleepimage" invisible file (Well, you'd better check if your free disk space is superior to your RAM, otherwise it won't work).

Well as my children are on school-holiday and I am off work I have had the time to experiment!!

Could be worthy of a new thread ...

At each step of the way I checked sleep function, more importantly wake-from-sleep.

Fresh install on a clean hard-drive with no extra kexts or modifications at all. Still booting via UniBeast. No DSDT, no sound, no USB3 and no Ethernet mods.

No wake-from-sleep.

One by one I added kexts and rebooted.

Annoyingly I was struck with the dying USB port-syndrome others have mentioned. This almost stopped the experiments in their tracks because USB (mouse and keyboard) was only live long enough to open MultiBeast but not long enough to make any settings and install!

In the end I had to copy kexts from my backup (on a USB stick) to the desktop then reboot to give me some more time! Then install them quickly using KextBeast.

However even though I did then get to a stable desktop - with USB continuing to work - wake-from-sleep was still broken!

I am now back on my usual HD

What worries me about all this, is that a new switcher to the Hackintosh world might be scared off by all these problems :(

I have just spotted this thread and thought of this comment from stork on one of his Z68 builds:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-bu...-z68x-ud3h-i7-2600k-hd3000-67.html#post694558

"For now, I'm having to use the power button to wake up properly. Once awake, all works well.

I'm gonna be trying to find a solution for this non standard way to wake up the Z68X-UD3H."

I thought that it might help in some way - I have only skimmed quickly over the comments here and did not see this mentioned. Hope it can provide some pointers :thumb up:

Adrian B

Thanks for looking in Adrian B :)

Yes, I did try the power-button method for wake-from-sleep. No joy on my setup I'm affraid.

One extra thing I did notice while going through this was, as I watched the USB freeze while MultiBeast installed, it looked as though the whole machine was frozen. MultiBeast did not advance or complete. The clock didn't change... A major crash every time. Luckily the RTC patch stopped the CMOS resets.

I think that the hacking community still has a lot to figure out around Mavericks and how the OS has been designed to use less power all the time. There was a good awareness of Haswell using less power, but we have a bit to go on the understanding and implementation of fixes and workarounds.

By the way, I am a regular joe that likes Mac & found Hacks on a journey. I am not a hacker, coder, developer or anything else related. :thumb up:

Adrian B

Yes, I think some of us want to tinker and some of us want to use our hacks/Macs.

With me (counter-productively) it's a bit of both! :rolleyes:

Quite incredible: after tinkering with various things (UseKernelCache=No then UseKernelCache=Yes, etc.), It appears that without any npci setting BUT with darkwake=0, all is working! o_O

One thing pretty strange: I'm able to start with -x on a fresh system but not on my complete system with all imported apps, etc. (KP)
Big mistery...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back