Contribute
Register

[10.8.3] Problems with ATI6000controller.kext

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Thanks for the response. This is what I have now (10.8.3) and it was the same being used with 10.8.2 w/patched kext (3 monitors working). I have the 6870 config that is 4 ports. Using a active display port adapter for one monitor.

Everything you have there looks fine. It should work. Can you switch displays around (try connecting TV to the DP adapter)? You might need a DVI/HDMI converter.

This is very old information; but when I first bought my 6870 I had bought a 6970 first. I couldn't make it work. At that time the school of thought was that the 6970 would never work and the 6870 was the one that was supported properly by Apple's drivers. So I switched to a 6870 and it's been perfect ever since.

This is like a year ago though, so things may have changed with the 6970 support. You may need a new card though.

ho well, thx MK500 for the answer!
i dont know which card is better,

7970 (work oob?) ...
Gigabyte gtx 670 4gb OC (i know that there is a patch to make all 4gb work)....
Evga gtx 680 SuperClocked Signature 2Gb....

thinking on which one i have to buy!
(i just put it for sale and i just found a buyer :D )

Everything you have there looks fine. It should work. Can you switch displays around (try connecting TV to the DP adapter)? You might need a DVI/HDMI converter.

I don't have the adapter for that. What I did for now was change my framebuffer to kudzu. I did this before the patched kext in 10.8.2 to get the 3 monitors working and it also works now with 10.8.3. The only thing is my card shows as 6xxx now like before. But at least now I have all 3 working.

ho well, thx MK500 for the answer!
i dont know which card is better,

7970 (work oob?) ...
Gigabyte gtx 670 4gb OC (i know that there is a patch to make all 4gb work)....
Evga gtx 680 SuperClocked Signature 2Gb....

thinking on which one i have to buy!
(i just put it for sale and i just found a buyer :D )

Depends on what you want to do.

7970 is a little annoying (due to sleep workaround every boot), but is probably best of those for gaming and price (because it comes with 3GB and is super fast for games...I love mine for battlefield). This is my every day primary card now.

670 is a nice mix of very compatible (fully supported; no sleep workaround needed) and lots of memory for textures. But it won't be as fast as the 680 or 7970.

680 is a great overall card, but you may be limiting yourself in the future with only 2GB. I've tested thoroughly with one of these (EVGA Classified OC). It's quiet and nice; but overpriced and limited on memory.

Finally, if you do CUDA work (like 3D or After Effects), you should consider a 580 because it will be faster than the 670 or 680. CUDA is not supported on the 7970.

I don't have the adapter for that. What I did for now was change my framebuffer to kudzu. I did this before the patched kext in 10.8.2 to get the 3 monitors working and it also works now with 10.8.3. The only thing is my card shows as 6xxx now like before. But at least now I have all 3 working.

Great to know your solution! I'm not sure where you are located, but I LOVE monoprice.com for adapters. I just buy everything I might ever need and keep it handy just in case. A lot of the adapters are like $1.50.

Great to know your solution! I'm not sure where you are located, but I LOVE monoprice.com for adapters. I just buy everything I might ever need and keep it handy just in case. A lot of the adapters are like $1.50.

thanks for the heads up! nice site!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back