Graphics
XFX Radeon HD 6870
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I've searched around for a couple of hours now and tried and failed.

First of all my setup looks like this:

Asus P8Z68-V-Pro Gen3
Intel i5 sandy bridge
XFX Double D HD-687A-ZDFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB

Previously I was running 10.8 as I failed to upgrade, so i stayed in that version for a while, yesterday I ****ed up my Calender app (did some modding..) then I decided to - what the heck - install 10.8.3 since I already had bought the OS.

So, the installation failed as I got the infamous white screen, so I moved the ATI6000controller.kext to / in my unibeast installation, great, now I could at least install the system. When I booted into my fresh install I used kexbeast to install ATI6000controller.kext, I tried this WITH and WITHOUT a multibeast installation prior to launching kextbeast, nothing seems to work, I always end up with a white screen :(

Now I have yet again deleted the ATI6000controller.kext via the terminal, and I can boot using PCIRootUID=0, GraphicsEnabler=No and -X

I have not applied any multibeast installation yet though..

So, after searching around for a couple of hours I am stuck... Someone, please save me from my misery :(

This is very, very weird, I just installed 10.8 using the "delete ATI6000controller.kext and reinstall afterwards"-method, which I recall worked last time, I mean, i was running 10.8 for several months, now I have the same issue with that. wtf i going on...

This means the issue is not related to 10.8.3 it is something I'm doing wrong i guess, not sure what though...

I've experienced similar "weirdness". After installation of OS, when you re-install the ATI6000 kext, try this:

1) add to your org.chameleon.Boot.plist

Code:
	<key>UseKernelCache</key>
	<string>No</string>

2) On first reboot use Boot Verbose from the Chimera menu.

I've found that if I don't Boot Verbose the first time after installing ATI6000, it sometimes does the white screen thing. Turning off UseKernelCache helps with debugging, and once your system is stable you can turn it back on. Sometimes stuff seems to get "stuck" in the cache in my experience, and even though you've done the kext installation it might not be fully working unless you disable cache.

One last thing to try if that doesn't work is the AppleACPIPlatform rollback. I've found general strange problems if I don't use this rollback. See my build link for what I'm currently doing for installation. It's a different chipset; but we may be experiencing similar issues.

I found out I can boot in safe mode and get full resolution, I still get the white screen, but turning the computer to sleep and waking it up again I can see login screen, my graphicscard is not fully recognized though.

Does your solution only work after a fresh install? I have turned off UseKernelCache, reinstalled the ATI6000 kext, it did not work.

I will try the AppleACPIPlatform rollback now :)

EDIT: OMGZ, it works!!!11!!1!

No lagging occurs now, but my graphics card is recognised as "AMD Radeon HD 6xxx 1024 MB"

If I recall it right, I have to modify some plist somewhere? And it has something to do with deviceID's!?

Only thing left now is sound and final graphics card tuning.

EDIT 2: OH YEAH, changed PCIRootUID=1 to PCIRootUID=0, and my framebuffer to Gibba, now the graphics card is fully recognised.

The weirdest thing now is that only system sounds work (the drag and drop files-sound as well as the "installation complete"-sound, empty the trash...) nothing else

BTW: can I turn on UseKernelCache now??

Great that worked! It confirms my suspicions that the rollback is really necessary for 10.8.3 and 10.8.2. Systems sometimes CAN work without, but it's hit and miss. To answer your question from before; I did same procedure for both 10.8.2 -> 10.8.3 update (combo) and also clean install. Same results.

I would wait to turn on cache until everything works exactly the way you want. It just will save you a lot of headache. But whenever you want :)

Here's how mine shows up:

Screen Shot 2013-03-18 at 7.01.44 PM.png

My org.chameleon.Boot.plist looks like this. Are you using GraphicsEnabler=Yes?:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Kernel</key>
	<string>mach_kernel</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>npci=0x3000 darkwake=0</string>
	<key>Legacy Logo</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>1</string>
	<key>UseKernelCache</key>
	<string>No</string>
</dict>
</plist>

not sure if this will help. i updated to 10.8.3 and everything was fine. later i discovered i lost my 3rd monitor (hdmi) that is my tv. I was using a patched kext in 10.8.2 and had all 3 working. i tried to install the patch and got the spinning wheel on the next boot. i was able to boot with -x -f -v GraphicsEnable=No Then I put back the original kext (it was for 10.8.2 and didn't realize it) and same problem. I discovered there was a ATI6000 kext for 10.8.3. Deleted the old kext and installed the new one and I'm up and running but only with 2 monitors.

You can put your video card support info in the /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist

This might fix your monitor issue. It works like this:

Code:
<key>AtiConfig</key>
<string>Duckweed</string>
<key>AtiPorts</key>
<string>4</string>
<string>Yes</string>

Then I don't think you will need any patches to your kext. I just use the regular ATI6000 included with 10.8.3 with my 6870. It only cannot be used when installing from UniBeast (which is why you pull it off USB stick), but works fine once installation is complete. Duckweed is your type of ATI card. 6870 is Duckweed. Let me know if that gets you your 3rd display port working.

Your 6870 can have either 4 or 5 ports; so change AtiPorts accordingly:
DVI x2, HDMI, miniDP x2 = 5
DVI x2, HDMI, DP = 4

Hi,

Thanks for the response. This is what I have now (10.8.3) and it was the same being used with 10.8.2 w/patched kext (3 monitors working). I have the 6870 config that is 4 ports. Using a active display port adapter for one monitor.

<key>AtiConfig</key>
<key>AtiPorts</key>
<string>4</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1920x1080x32</string>
<string>Yes</string>

You can put your video card support info in the /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist

This might fix your monitor issue. It works like this:

Code:
<key>AtiConfig</key>
<key>AtiPorts</key>
<string>4</string>
<string>Yes</string>

Then I don't think you will need any patches to your kext. I just use the regular ATI6000 included with 10.8.3 with my 6870. It only cannot be used when installing from UniBeast (which is why you pull it off USB stick), but works fine once installation is complete. Duckweed is your type of ATI card. 6870 is Duckweed. Let me know if that gets you your 3rd display port working.

Your 6870 can have either 4 or 5 ports; so change AtiPorts accordingly:
DVI x2, HDMI, miniDP x2 = 5
DVI x2, HDMI, DP = 4

hi MK500!
wondering how i can make work my 6970!
I try using many ati6000 kext all around the forum (maybe i make something wrong, dunno!)
i try using the delete ati6000 kext during installation and then put it back, no luck.
Weeks of try and no way to make my His 6970 2gb work!

do you have something to suggest me?
or i have to buy another card?

hi MK500!
wondering how i can make work my 6970!

This is very old information; but when I first bought my 6870 I had bought a 6970 first. I couldn't make it work. At that time the school of thought was that the 6970 would never work and the 6870 was the one that was supported properly by Apple's drivers. So I switched to a 6870 and it's been perfect ever since.

This is like a year ago though, so things may have changed with the 6970 support. You may need a new card though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back