Contribute
Register

10.6 Sata drive not found / kext injection (still waiting for root device...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
8i7hvk
CPU
8809G
Graphics
Vega M
Hey folks!

So my mate decided to make himself a hackintosh and used its old pc for it:
Gigabyte GA something -sli
We booted successfully into installation using iBoot and a retail SL Dvd (using -x -v -PCIRootUID=1 GraphicsEnabler=No)
but the HDD won't show up to install 10.6 on
so we tweaked the BIOS setup to enable only one SATA Controller (it has two, and those GSATA ports but we dont use them...) and use AHCI on it instead of SATA
(there is some weird IDE to channel 0 setting which we disabled hence there is no IDE drive in)
So the drive shows up as Secondary Master when the drive is connected to the SATAII0 Port (BIOS and iBoot both detect the drive)

Setup still refused to see our HDD so we just plugged it into usb and the whole installation Process went through fine.
We then connected the HDD back to the SATA Port and booted again using the iBoot CD.

Then it detects everything and stops at still waiting for root device... bah!
(Again: we double checked that everything is set to AHCI, tried different ports and removed every other drive)

One question aside:
Can i modify my kexts on the hdd using another mac? connecting it via usb and then repairing disk permissions? does this work? couldn't find a apropriate answer on the interwebs :/

thanks!

Hey folks!

We booted successfully into installation using iBoot and a retail SL Dvd (using -x -v -PCIRootUID=1 GraphicsEnabler=No)
so we tweaked the BIOS setup to enable only one SATA Controller (it has two, and those GSATA ports but we dont use them...) and use AHCI on it instead of SATA
(there is some weird IDE to channel 0 setting which we disabled hence there is no IDE drive in)
So the drive shows up as Secondary Master when the drive is connected to the SATAII0 Port (BIOS and iBoot both detect the drive)

Setup still refused to see our HDD so we just plugged it into usb and the whole installation Process went through fine.
We then connected the HDD back to the SATA Port and booted again using the iBoot CD.

(Again: we double checked that everything is set to AHCI, tried different ports and removed every other drive)

One question aside:
Can i modify my kexts on the hdd using another mac? connecting it via usb and then repairing disk permissions? does this work? couldn't find a apropriate answer on the interwebs :/

thanks!

gotschi

If you would please post the complete system specs in you signature bock of you name that way we can see what it is you working on an offer an opionion to assist you.

Hey folks!

One question aside:

thanks!

maybe you disabled HDD, because you said we turned off IDE and other SATA port..(This happened to me) look at me problem: I had an IDE optical drive(dvd rw) and SATA HDD...I was using IDE mode... when I got into setup my HDD wasnt there(It was not recognized) then I borrowed SATA optical drive, turned mode to AHCI and everything worked... you cannot use IDE ODD(optical drive)...it must be SATA... and then you can use AHCI mode.... if you have your ODD connected in IDE connector then you will have to use IDE mode which is critical for Mac installation.....try to use SATA drive(HDD and ODD) and use AHCI mode...
IMPORTANT!! : When you get into installer you have to enter disk utility to partition your HDD...maybe thats the problem...maybe you missed that step.... try this all.... check If you have two SATA ports... If you have, then buy new Optical drive...I had that problem too ;)

Hey folks!

One question aside:

thanks!

What Size is that hard drive in Gigabytes please - or at least the model and make of it !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back