Contribute
Register

10.6.7 Native ATi 5xxx/6xxx Cards which work (and don't)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is normal results for a HD 6870 in Cinebench these days? I get 44.38 fps, is that bad or good?

the_gael said:
rich said:
thanks! hopefully it works 100% which my Sapphire 4870 has since 10.6.1.

hope i can get the Twin Frozr II 6870 now, as its much cooler and quieter than the stock, but almost EOL i think.

Rich, I am have a XFX 6870 and it works on all ports OOB using Chimera and Graphicsenabler=No 64bit. Just about to add it to the list.
I have a XFX 6870 too and after update for 1.6.8 I had many problems with reproduction of videos. I tried this method installing Chimera and Graphicsenabler=No 64bit using multibeast 3.8.0 but now it is worse the dvd player is not working and xbmc closes when I open some video. Please helps me to have this board totally functioning, as much money expense for nothing =(

Thanks

WinsOrdep said:
the_gael said:
rich said:
thanks! hopefully it works 100% which my Sapphire 4870 has since 10.6.1.

hope i can get the Twin Frozr II 6870 now, as its much cooler and quieter than the stock, but almost EOL i think.

Rich, I am have a XFX 6870 and it works on all ports OOB using Chimera and Graphicsenabler=No 64bit. Just about to add it to the list.
I have a XFX 6870 too and after update for 1.6.8 I had many problems with reproduction of videos. I tried this method installing Chimera and Graphicsenabler=No 64bit using multibeast 3.8.0 but now it is worse the dvd player is not working and xbmc closes when I open some video. Please helps me to have this board totally functioning, as much money expense for nothing =(

Thanks

WinsOrdep, I use Graphicsenabler=No if I want all the ports to work especially both DVI. However now I have bought a Displayport to DVI adapter so I can use Graphicsenabler=Yes and connect the second DVI monitor to the Displayport with the adapter.

Using Graphicsenabler=Yes you will have full acceleration and DVD Player will work.

Hope that helps.

the_gael said:
WinsOrdep, I use Graphicsenabler=No if I want all the ports to work especially both DVI. However now I have bought a Displayport to DVI adapter so I can use Graphicsenabler=Yes and connect the second DVI monitor to the Displayport with the adapter.

Using Graphicsenabler=Yes you will have full acceleration and DVD Player will work.

Hope that helps.

Sorry to hijack this, just to confirm, you have an XFX 6870 and get dual monitor output from the mini DP ports with graphics acceleration? I'm looking to buy that card to drive two 27" cinemas.

Also, I currently run an 8800gtx, do you know what I'll need to do to get the 6870 working? Should I do anything prior to swapping the cards?

Thanks!

jryan727 said:
the_gael said:

Hope that helps.

Sorry to hijack this, just to confirm, you have an XFX 6870 and get dual monitor output from the mini DP ports with graphics acceleration? I'm looking to buy that card to drive two 27" cinemas.

Also, I currently run an 8800gtx, do you know what I'll need to do to get the 6870 working? Should I do anything prior to swapping the cards?

Thanks!

No, I use one MiniDP Port - I have 2 x DVI Monitors and I connect 1 of them to a MiniDP port with an adapter because with Graphicsenabler=Yes one of the DVI ports does not work. Unfortunately I cannot test for you as I don't have either another adapter or monitors which use MiniDP.

the_gael said:
jryan727 said:
[quote="the_gael":3ah24vlp]

Hope that helps.

Thanks!

No, I use one MiniDP Port - I have 2 x DVI Monitors and I connect 1 of them to a MiniDP port with an adapter because with Graphicsenabler=Yes one of the DVI ports does not work. Unfortunately I cannot test for you as I don't have either another adapter or monitors which use MiniDP.[/quote:3ah24vlp]

Interesting, ok. Well, that gives me some hope, because at least you can get two displays working on the card in general. I impulsively ordered the XFX 6870 this morning, shortly after asking that question, so we'll see what happens!

Do you recall having to do anything in particular to get the card working - or does it work OOTB (wishful thinking?)?

I decided to take a chance and get the 6870. I see the support was just updated, but it appears wrong.

I have the XFX HD6870 HD-687A-ZNFC Ver.2 card, and it worked OOTB on 10.6.8. I previously had an nVidia 8800GTX, so I'm not sure it works on a fresh install, but it didn't require anything special coming from the nvidia card. I have GraphicsEnabler = YES, Chimera, and arch=x86_64

Steam games don't appear to work, yet. I'm looking into that now.

Jim

EDIT: PS, it works with two 27" ACD's via mini-DP. Just incase someone comes across this via search, since I couldn't find anyone confirming that worked. I also briefly was using one miniDP and one DVI with a U2711, and that worked as well.

Hey jryan727,

I got the exact same card as you, but I was a bit hesitant after reading some posts about this graphics card before reading your post. Thanks for posting this.

Just wondering, are all your ports functional? I am planning on triple displaying my hackintosh from both DVI ports and HDMI port when all is said and done. Thanks!

indoh2ojml said:
Hey jryan727,

I got the exact same card as you, but I was a bit hesitant after reading some posts about this graphics card before reading your post. Thanks for posting this.

Just wondering, are all your ports functional? I am planning on triple displaying my hackintosh from both DVI ports and HDMI port when all is said and done. Thanks!

Hey,

Well, don't get too excited just yet ;), looks like I can't get a framebuffer loaded (so DVD player, Steam games, and some other applications don't work just yet). I'm still working on it. Other than that, everything works.

I'm not sure about the HDMI port and don't have any way to test it. I did see other people confirming that all ports worked, but I'm not positive about that, having never tested it myself. I can confirm that both miniDP ports work, as well as at least one DVI port, but I never had three in use at one time. I had miniDP+DVI at one point, and now miniDP+miniDP. I'm swamped right now, but I'll try to test the other two DVI ports later or tomorrow for ya. I won't be able to test HDMI, though.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back