Contribute
Register

10.13.6 Security Update 2019-005 - What Happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 I AORUS PRO WIFI
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Running my "Mini-ITX 1" (Haswell build with i7-4770K + Gigabyte GA-H87N-WIFI, SMBIOS iMac 14,2) under 10.13.6 build 17G8030. All was fine. Was using a Gigabyte Nvidia GT1030 graphics card and the compatible Web Driver. Per Apple recommendation, attempted the subject security update from the App Store). Result: black screen... monitor indicated video was being received but nothing on screen. So a graphics problem, right? Thing is, I only updated my primary SATA drive, but restarting on my backup drive, which should still have had 17G8030 on it, same problem! Booted to BIOS (version F9), changed to IGFX, moved connector to motherboard display connector, booted to backup drive, and still only a black screen on both drives!

Eventually I disconnected the backup drive, erased the primary drive, used UniBeast 8.3.2 and "Install macOS High Sierra.app" (version 13.6.02) on a 16 GB SanDisk "Extreme" USB to make a "new" High Sierra installation. The installation ran smoothly and I had a new OS, 10.13.6. BUT the build number was (is) 2208!!! The OS runs OK, but as far as I can see there is no Web Driver listed for that insane build number... what happened?

Please note, I tried this re-installation again using a new UniBeast installation (but the same "Install macOS High Sierra.app")... same result! Am I stuck on build 2208 (whatever that is) with IGFX forever?

Running my "Mini-ITX 1" (Haswell build with i7-4770K + Gigabyte GA-H87N-WIFI, SMBIOS iMac 14,2) under 10.13.6 build 17G8030. All was fine. Was using a Gigabyte Nvidia GT1030 graphics card and the compatible Web Driver. Per Apple recommendation, attempted the subject security update from the App Store). Result: black screen... monitor indicated video was being received but nothing on screen. So a graphics problem, right? Thing is, I only updated my primary SATA drive, but restarting on my backup drive, which should still have had 17G8030 on it, same problem! Booted to BIOS (version F9), changed to IGFX, moved connector to motherboard display connector, booted to backup drive, and still only a black screen on both drives!

Eventually I disconnected the backup drive, erased the primary drive, used UniBeast 8.3.2 and "Install macOS High Sierra.app" (version 13.6.02) on a 16 GB SanDisk "Extreme" USB to make a "new" High Sierra installation. The installation ran smoothly and I had a new OS, 10.13.6. BUT the build number was (is) 2208!!! The OS runs OK, but as far as I can see there is no Web Driver listed for that insane build number... what happened?

Please note, I tried this re-installation again using a new UniBeast installation (but the same "Install macOS High Sierra.app")... same result! Am I stuck on build 2208 (whatever that is) with IGFX forever?

17G2208 looks like it was the initial 10.13.6 release, perhaps from the combo updater - https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208937.

17G65 was the standard update with Nvidia drivers to match.

No, you are not stuck with that version. Update to High Sierra Security update 2018-002 and you get to 17G3025. There are Nvidia drivers for this in the downloads section here.

:)

Thanks for your reply. As it turns out, I have managed to get to build 17G8037 by first installing 17G65 using a straight Apple installation from their "partial" (22 MB) Install macOS High Sierra.app file (still on the Web), and then updating to the 2019-005 Security Update via Software Update. I have no idea why my working 17G8030 build did not update properly originally. I have the 387.10.10.10.40.131 Web Driver downloaded now, but graphics card has been removed for all this updating, & I'm still on IGFX. Graphics is next on my list.

Updated my rig with no issues that I can see so far, was pretty quick with my SSD. I'll keep you posted if anything pops up. Gonna update safari now too.

Safari updated just dandy too.

-Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back