Contribute
Register

ASUS N56VM Install ML 10.8.X Q/A (help appreciated)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like I've finally got retail ML up and running now. The installation was pretty smooth following your guide! Worth mentioning is that I downloaded all the extra drivers including Champlist app and burned them on a CD-R. (I forgot download them first). Only a few of the drivers worked and caused me the trouble of some reimstallation of ML. Will specify them later.

+ Working
HD4000 full HD and 384mb of ram
USB3.0 external HD drive and mouse
Trackpad - no multitouch yet
Webcam - Works in Skype
USB2.0
Wifi with RTL8191S dongle
Sound
Appstore with account seems to work fine. iCloud as well.

- Not working (what I'm missing)
Random kernel panic while powering up or doing a reboot. AHCI error something. Works second reboot. And with -V...
Boot from HD
Wifi - Will buy a new card
Backlight
CPU fan is running at max speed I think

UPDATE 2
+USB 2.0/3.0 working with kexts mentioned in previous posts. USB stick and Wifi stick too.
+Webcam working in Skype. Installed Camtwist but dunno if that helped.
+ Fn keys (at least a few of them) Using K53 kext and DSDT for NV56 from osx86.net.

Nothing is disabled in BIOS so Windows should work as normal with all functions.

Anyone managed to make ML boot without an USB-stick?

Anyone managed to make ML boot without an USB-stick?

I think you just have to format the disk as MBR so that it doesn't start as UEFI, I read elsewhere that it was the problem - but then you have to hack ML to let you install on MBR, don't know how.
And you will need to reinstall windows.

@jamas: a guide for the Fn keys? I'm miss that one, and playing with that DSDT mostly caused kernel panics!

@jamas: a guide for the Fn keys? I'm miss that one, and playing with that DSDT mostly caused kernel panics!

@Tom89

Sorry for my delayed answer. I had to leave my installation for another weeks. Haven't got the spare time right now to troubleshoot ML and the missing parts.

Sure, I will try to make a guide for the Fn keys. I think i found the kext on the russian site or a link to another Asus Fn kext that worked with the right DSDT.
Not much of a help. :)

Jamas could you explain what you mean in your second update by:

+ Fn keys (at least a few of them) Using K53 kext and DSDT for NV56 from osx86.net.

What is a K53 kext? And which specific DSDT did you use?

I have an N56VZ and I can't get the FN keys to work.

Do you have backlight working on yours or is it just the screen brightness and sound?

Can someone help me with my ML installation, It hangs at AppleHDA or something like that.

theres no point man..
ive bin at this machine for 7 months now and theres no stable solution.
unless laptops get more support for developers we're out of luck.
the system is to new and it seems theres less and less people out there
willing to help by the day.
if your looking to just spend countless time [tiring] to figure out things
that have no solution best learn how to develop kexts and dsdts

BUT!! if u figure out a stable solution PLEASE!! fill us in.

Well some people do get it installed I can't even get the instalation to work.

Just hoping someone can help me on this.

Can someone help me with my ML installation, It hangs at AppleHDA or something like that.

You shouldn't have installed AppleHDA, it's not supported.
Boot in safe mode (-x at boot) remove it, and install VodooHDA 2.7.4 :D

It's not that hard, you just have to check every kext the thing wants to use!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back