Contribute
Register

ASUS N56VM Install ML 10.8.X Q/A (help appreciated)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I managed to plug the notebook HD into another hackintosh, so I was able to run Unibeast directly on the partition.
Works flawlessly until now, no flags enabled, currently installing... probably the NVidia kexts will kill it somewhere along the way, but experimentation is science!

Protip: do not ever use Linux for anything meaningful. Turns out the HFS+ partition I've made with hfsprogs is a sort of virus able to panic any mac...

Another update: this notebook is much harder to hack than I thought.
After removing GeForce* and *Bluetooth* kexts (but leaving NV* in place as removing them hangs the boot) I was able to boot in normal mode without any command line.

What works: CPU, RAM, USB mouse, keyboard, trackpad (pointer only)
What doesn't work: USB sticks, Sound, Wifi, Ethernet, Bluetooth, HD4000, 630M, Cmd key (wtf!)

The situation is quite dire right now, I'll try to buy an USB3.0 stick and use that to carry Multibeast and some kexts, at least I could enable the HD4000.

Any hints on how to get internet/USB2.0 to work? I have the Atheros chip.

Success!

I finally managed to hack this notebook to a (very) usable state!

What works: trackpad, full resolution, ethernet, sound, HD4000 w QE/CI, Bluetooth, Cmd key
What's still broken: wifi, USB 2.0, Nvidia 630, Fn keys, battery indicator

and it's quite straightforward to get this to work when knowing what to do, so I'm leaving a guide here for whoever is interested...
and for myself, when I'll have to reinstall :p

N56VM with Mountain Lion, a guide

-- setup --
(if you have an USB3.0 stick or an USB2.0 port (not all the n56s have USB3.0 ports only) you can skip this one)

This is needed because USB2.0 sticks aren't working with the installer, and lead to a "still waiting for root device" hang before the installer loads.

*unscrew the notebook's back panel, extract the HDD, and connect it in any way to an existing mac.
I've connected it via standard SATA to an hackintosh, but you could use an external adapter box.

*Use Disk Utility to create a new 8 gb HFS+ partition on it; I've named it "Unibeast" (yep, I like obvious names)
*Run Unibeast on it using the Tonymac guide
*Download Multibeast to the partition (this is the only way to get it on the system!)
*Run Unibeast or iBoot on any 8GB stick you got around - this is needed to boot the installer. You can probably run it on the drive itself and have it self-boot, but I didn't try.
*Place the HDD back in the notebook.
*connect a mouse. The trackpad stops working after installation.

-- fun starts --
Or, how to get to normal mode

*boot the Unibeast partition with no flags
*create or format a HFS+ partition ("MountainLion") using Disk Utility, when the installer starts
*follow the installation instructions, the pc will reboot after it
*boot into MountainLion partition with "-x -f GraphicsEnabler=No", you should be able to configure it and boot into safe mode
(choose "My Computer does not connect to the internet" when prompted)

*now, you have to remove the Nvidia kexts as they will KP your system.
I'm removing the bluetooth too as I found it can hang the boot, but you can try to leave it there if daring enough :)
Code:
cd /System/Library/Extensions
sudo mkdir backup
sudo cp -R GeForce* *Bluetooth* backup
sudo rm -R GeForce* *Bluetooth*
do not remove NV* kexts as this will hang the boot, as far as I can tell - and anyway they do no harm.

*reboot with "-f -v GraphicsEnabler=No" and you should be able to get to normal mode
*trackpad should work now!

-- Multibeast --
(you can probably run multibeast before rebooting, but I think it's best to run it in normal mode to be sure)

*run Multibeast from the Unibeast partition and install
-Easybeast
-UserDSDT-DSDTFree install
-VodooHDA 2.7.3 for the audio
-Atheros - Shailua Enabler for the Ethernet card
-Chimera 1.11 for the boot (it won't enable HD4000 by itself though)
*it will say "installation failed" but THIS IS OK DON'T PANIC

*now, open Champlist.app (get it in any way, or manually edit the plist if you like to live dangerously)
-deselect "Graphics Enabler" - we don't need it
-select 1920x1080x32 in "set Graphics Mode"
-click Device Properties, and paste in the EFI string for the HD4000 found in this pc:
5e0000000100000001000000520000000100000002010c00d041030a000000000101060000027fff04002c0000004100410050004c002c00690067002d0070006c006100740066006f0072006d002d006900640000000800000004006601
*disclaimer: I found this string around on the internet; it worked for me, it might not work for you*

*optional(?): open the SMBIOS tab, select the macbook retina 10,1 with a Core i7 2.3 Ghz, probably the "most similar" macbook (same CPU, same GPU, HD screen)
*apply all the changes
*reboot with "-f"

And that's it! At this point, you should have a pretty good working hackintosh if everything went ok.

Persoally I'm only missing the keyboard backlight, the wifi and the Fn keys, as the 630 is still a pretty weak GPU over the HD4000 (mostly 2x or 3x faster, meh)
if someone is able to get some other pieces to work, do post! :D

And... is it advised to install the combo update to ML 10.8.2?

Thanks a lot for your effort and the detailed guide! I Will surely help me and others to install ML. I used Xmove to install Lion with the help of an installer partition but havent tried that yet on my N56. I will post a reply as soon as I have got it up and running.

Have you tried any of these drivers?

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...702-asus-n56vm-n76xx-extra-extensions-ml.html

yeah, I didn't mention it because I didn't know if it was spam, being another site.

Anyway, I tried them and they broke the system beyond recoverability, so I had to format and start again.

EDIT: I tried again now, and they all work except the PS2 ones and the CPUSensors.kext, all of which lead to KP... and the first two are useless, too.
What they fixed:
-battery is now showing
-mic working ok (was echoing inside the speaker out unless silenced before)
-PC seems to be running faster and cooler

So I would advise to install them, actually.

EDIT2: I've installed FakeSMC.kext, ACPISensors.kext, and IntelCPUMonitor.kext from this package here and now temperatures and CPU load are correctly shown! It is running even better now; but still the CPU runs either at 1ghz or 2.29 ghz, the power state management seems to be bad.

And: sounds like the fan is constantly running 100%, does anyone know about a fan control kext?

EDIT3: I've installed 10.8.2 and it works good! But, it *will* break your system because it will reinstall *Bluetooth* and GeForce* drivers, causing a grey screen of death on boot. I deleted them using the Terminal from the installer.
It will also replace some custom kexts (eg. battery enabler), but reinstalling all of them does the trick!

yeah, I didn't mention it because I didn't know if it was spam, being another site.

Anyway, I tried them and they broke the system beyond recoverability, so I had to format and start again.

EDIT: I tried again now, and they all work except the PS2 ones and the CPUSensors.kext, all of which lead to KP... and the first two are useless, too.

No the link is supposed to be OK.

Does that mean that USB doesn't work?

No the link is supposed to be OK.

Does that mean that USB doesn't work?

The USB works*, in fact the trackpad works out of the box for me :D
And those 2 kext cause KPs here, so no reason to install them.

*only works for non-storage-devices such as mouses, xbox pads, etc, or USB3.0 storage devices. USB2.0 sticks do not work!

Also, after I've installed 10.8.2 it has became really slow, keeping the processor at 1188 Mhz most of the time...
it is really annoying, but I'm tired of breaking and fixing it for now :p

Also, after I've installed 10.8.2 it has became really slow, keeping the processor at 1188 Mhz most of the time...
it is really annoying, but I'm tired of breaking and fixing it for now :p

Any progress on 10.8.2?
I have successfully installed Lion 10.7.5 on my desktop and been busy getting it up and running. Now I can finally mount a spare 2.5" drive and create an installer partition for ML!

nope, I've been using it as-is... I just discovered that starting with -f makes the HDD work faster. That might be worth some investigations... and should make no sense because -f just rebuilds the kext cache.

I think this means that the CPU being in low-power mode is NOT the bug - rather this means that the HDD is being so slow that the CPU is constantly waiting for input.
We might need a decent driver for this chipset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back