Contribute
Register

ASUS N56VM Install ML 10.8.X Q/A (help appreciated)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK USB only works on some boots with the multibeast kext. When it chooses to work it does so beautifully but sometimes works only for keyboards and mice. Completely stuck. :|

I am getting answers from almost everybody say that we can not disable Intel HD and use Nvidia only as primary graphics,

even in this forum laptop read first:
If your laptop is using NVIDIA Optimus graphics switching technology, you can stop reading as it's not supported and most likely will never be.

But strangely some other guys confirmed that they have graphics switch options in BIOS that allowed them to do so:
View attachment 32374

We don't have that options in BIOS!!!, why?
Are there anyone of you can contact ASUS support for this? I am in Indonesia, I don't think the support here can help me, they even wouldn't know what I am talking about....

I hope I don't have to sell my ASUS laptop just for get this options :confused:

that is not asus dude
thinkpad is IBM :)

OK ASUS has released a BIOS update for the N56VM and this one now allows changing the integrated graphics memory size. :D Still no option to turn it off though. :|

OK ASUS has released a BIOS update for the N56VM and this one now allows changing the integrated graphics memory size. :D Still no option to turn it off though. :|

my trackpad not working.... hmmm

Hello everyone, I'm joining this thread with yet another problem with ML on the N56VM :D

I set up an USB stick with Unibeast, plugged it in, and the installer dies with the dreaded "Still waiting for root device" error.

I've tried every flag (PCIRootUID=0, USBBusFix=Yes, GraphicsEnabler=no, cpus=1, x) but it always stops there.

I'm using a crappy USB2.0 stick, maybe it's incompatible with the USB3.0 ports of the notebook?

I'm stuck, thanks for any help!

EDIT: I've read around the interwebs that the problem could be caused by having more than one SATA device, so I've removed the DVD drive... still no luck!

Hello everyone, I'm joining this thread with yet another problem with ML on the N56VM :D

I set up an USB stick with Unibeast, plugged it in, and the installer dies with the dreaded "Still waiting for root device" error.

I've tried every flag (PCIRootUID=0, USBBusFix=Yes, GraphicsEnabler=no, cpus=1, x) but it always stops there.

I'm using a crappy USB2.0 stick, maybe it's incompatible with the USB3.0 ports of the notebook?

I'm stuck, thanks for any help!

EDIT: I've read around the interwebs that the problem could be caused by having more than one SATA device, so I've removed the DVD drive... still no luck!

I had this problem too and fixed it!:)

Make an 8gb partition on internal hard drive and make an exact copy of the unibeast drive there using a partition copier package,
Then reboot and as usual boot from the usb BUT then choose the newly created hdd partition in the unibeast boot manager. Problem solved! :D

I had this problem too and fixed it!:)

Make an 8gb partition on internal hard drive and make an exact copy of the unibeast drive there using a partition copier package,
Then reboot and as usual boot from the usb BUT then choose the newly created hdd partition in the unibeast boot manager. Problem solved! :D

Great, I didn't think about it :D
So yeah, it was definitely the USB fault... also I managed to boot only after specifying GraphicsEnabler=no... then I stubled against my drive being formatted MBR.

So, steps until now, to install to an empty drive without an USB3 stick:
-make sure your disk has a GUID Partition Table (GPT), not MBR (N56s come by default with GPT, but you never know)
-boot an Ubuntu Live CD or whatever Linux
-install hfsprogs
-make a partition for ML and one for the installer
-just copy all the files from the pendrive to the installer partition manually
-boot with GraphicsEnabler=no
-install

I'll update this "guide" whenever I get somewhere :)

EDIT: updated

So, I've finally managed to boot from the installer without the "still waiting for root device error"; however, now I get a kernel panic as soon as the kernel is started! I've tried cpus=1, and the other flags, still nothing.
Ideas?

So, I've finally managed to boot from the installer without the "still waiting for root device error"; however, now I get a kernel panic as soon as the kernel is started! I've tried cpus=1, and the other flags, still nothing.
Ideas?

Yes, I also had that problem! :)
You need to start up in safe mode (-x) as the nvidia kexts are causing the kernel panic. You should be able to run the installer now. Once installed you still need to boot in safe mode till you delete the nvidia kexts.

Yes, I also had that problem! :)
You need to start up in safe mode (-x) as the nvidia kexts are causing the kernel panic. You should be able to run the installer now. Once installed you still need to boot in safe mode till you delete the nvidia kexts.

Nope, I'm running it with the flags -v -x GraphicsEnabler=no PCIRootUID=Yes USBBusFix=Yes and it still panics just after the kernel is initialized, it says "Kernel is LP64" and then dies.
It did work when i cloned the partition using dd, maybe the reason is that I just copied the files now (dd will break the GPT but not the MBR, apparently).
I think there's no way around it, I've got to buy this USB3.0 stick :p
How did you clone the HFS+ partition, btw?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back