Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z97M-DH3
CPU
I5 4690
Graphics
GTX 960
Hello, my gigabyte Z97m-d3h recently died. I can't find another one. I found a h97m-d3h. My goal is to find a plug and play card, I would like to avoid re installing. Do you believe that I can just swap my dead Z97m for a h97m and have it working ? I know that the z version is for oc but I don't believe I need it so do you think it would work? Please advise. Thank you

I think the H97m will work fine. But, check on Gigabyte's web site. They have the capabilities to compare motherboards. Just make sure that the MultiBeast drivers you used for the Z97m will work for the H97m.

Hello, my gigabyte Z97m-d3h recently died. I can't find another one. I found a h97m-d3h. My goal is to find a plug and play card, I would like to avoid re installing. Do you believe that I can just swap my dead Z97m for a h97m and have it working ? I know that the z version is for oc but I don't believe I need it so do you think it would work? Please advise. Thank you

Depends you can do a motherboard swap and just boot into OS X/macOS but it also depends on wether if you have a Patched DSDT. Better to just reinstall.

Thanks for your answers. Does the h versions brings any limitations to your knowledge? I haven't found any major chipset, lan or audio diffference between the 2 cards except support for oc memory on the z version. Asking the question differently, what are the advantages of using a Z97m over a h version?

Thanks for your answers. Does the h versions brings any limitations to your knowledge? I haven't found any major chipset, lan or audio diffference between the 2 cards except support for oc memory on the z version. Asking the question differently, what are the advantages of using a Z97m over a h version?

Z Chipsets are really for Overclocking although some H chipsets allows overclocking. Doesn't really make much difference with support in OS X/macOS of course. If your not going to Overclock then its better to just go with a board that has a H Chipset for example H97/H87/H77. But remember Z/H97 is not Native hardware unlike Z/H87.

I had success with the Z97m. Worked like a charm for 2 years straight. This board was advised to me by a local hackintosh store in my town. However I have a i5 4690 which is non oc able so I guess the I could not have gain from the board oc capabilities anyway unless I get a k version processor. Am I wrong? I am going to get the H97m because I found it for 60$ and can't get my hand on a reasonably price Z97m. Thank you again for your advices .

Also when you mention reinstalling, since I already have my OS X installed on my ssd, do you mean just redoing bios settings, boot with k flags and redoing multibeast routine or is there more involved?

No. You may need to reinstall OS X/macOS if you can't boot.

I am curious why you think that the motherboard has died? Why not the CPU, PSU, GPU for Memory?

Good modding,
neil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back