Contribute
Register

Z87E-ITX Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my build:
Mobo: Asrock Z87E-ITX
CPU: i7-4770K
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16gig (2x8GB)
Hard drive: old SATA drive
OSX: Mavericks 10.9.1 (UniBeast)

1. Updated mobo with modified BIOS 2.30A
2. Set BIOS to the following: from default BIOS load “Load UEFI Default”, the following was changed. a) OC Tweaker —> DRAM Freq = DDR3-1600. b) Primary Graphics Adapter—> Onboard. - No overclocking, but I did a 4.4GHz stress test and it worked OK.
3. Installed Mavericks 10.9.1 with UniBeast.
4. After OSX installation, ran MultiBeast and setup to the following: see attachment.
5. To Install the kext for the internal WIFI, I used ‘Kext Ulitity.app’ to import BCM31b (IO80211Family.kext). You can find the kext at www.osx86.net.
6. one more final reboot, and all the hardware works with the exception of the bluetooth. I used a cheap eBay usb bluetooth that runs native to OSX, with this I can use my magic mouse and Apple keyboard.

What needs work.
1. Sleep does not work, so I set it up computer not to sleep. On sleep mode, computer tries to go to sleep and immediately wakes up, on and off, constantly.
2. A kext for in internal bluetooth. I found one, but it detect the hardware, but it does not pair with anything.
3. Dual Monitors: It works if you boot with both DVI and HDMI on. If computer boots with DVI only, then plug in HDMI, computer crashes or no video on both. If HDMI boot only, then plugin DVI, HDM I losses the video, but DVI needs video resolution reset back to high. I will upgrade to Nvidia eventually.

I hope my finding will help others.

BTW, could you provide your BIOS settings?

Its unlikely you will get the supplied bluetooth to work. Better off sticking with your usb bluetooth dongle. I've tried all sorts and while it remains visible, it just doesnt work.

Sleep should work, but depends on your bios settings maybe. Ive had no issues with it here with 2.30A.

You might like to try a DSDT with the HDMI patch. That may help your monitors, but Im guessing a bit here. I dont use 2 monitors and dont have an HDMI one available either.

Post your raw DSDT and I'll take a look at it.

I'll post some bios settings in due course.

Here is my build:
Mobo: Asrock Z87E-ITX
CPU: i7-4770K
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16gig (2x8GB)
Hard drive: old SATA drive
OSX: Mavericks 10.9.1 (UniBeast)

1. Updated mobo with modified BIOS 2.30A
2. Set BIOS to the following: from default BIOS load “Load UEFI Default”, the following was changed. a) OC Tweaker —> DRAM Freq = DDR3-1600. b) Primary Graphics Adapter—> Onboard. - No overclocking, but I did a 4.4GHz stress test and it worked OK.
3. Installed Mavericks 10.9.1 with UniBeast.
4. After OSX installation, ran MultiBeast and setup to the following: see attachment.
5. To Install the kext for the internal WIFI, I used ‘Kext Ulitity.app’ to import BCM31b (IO80211Family.kext). You can find the kext at www.osx86.net.
6. one more final reboot, and all the hardware works with the exception of the bluetooth. I used a cheap eBay usb bluetooth that runs native to OSX, with this I can use my magic mouse and Apple keyboard.

What needs work.
1. Sleep does not work, so I set it up computer not to sleep. On sleep mode, computer tries to go to sleep and immediately wakes up, on and off, constantly.
2. A kext for in internal bluetooth. I found one, but it detect the hardware, but it does not pair with anything.
3. Dual Monitors: It works if you boot with both DVI and HDMI on. If computer boots with DVI only, then plug in HDMI, computer crashes or no video on both. If HDMI boot only, then plugin DVI, HDM I losses the video, but DVI needs video resolution reset back to high. I will upgrade to Nvidia eventually.

I hope my finding will help others.

BTW, could you provide your BIOS settings?

Your Mutibeast settings are not optimal for this board.

What I would recommend based on what works here is :

Forget HDAEnabler - Use the 'With DSDT' option, you dont need the enabler with a properly edited DSDT.
3rd party sata is not needed at all.
AppleRTC patch is not needed at all.
Generate CPU states is not needed at all.
Hibernate Mode Desktop is not needed.
MacPro3,1 is not the best definition, try 14,1 or 14,2 or 14.3

Im sure if you change the above you will have a much smoother ride.

Thanks for the info.
I just did a fresh install of 10.9.1, with just the following MultiBeast settings as you recommended. see pic. Still sleep doesn't work.
I also providing my raw DSDT. I'm not familiar with the DSDT Editor yet. I'll read more about this tool.
If you think, my BIOS settings is wrong somewhere? i don't like to reflash my BIOS again.
Again, thanks for the help.

Attachments

• Test2.png
    Test2.png
    98.5 KB · Views: 176
  • DSDT test2 raw.aml.zip
    26.5 KB · Views: 82
Thanks for the info.
I just did a fresh install of 10.9.1, with just the following MultiBeast settings as you recommended. see pic. Still sleep doesn't work.
I also providing my raw DSDT. I'm not familiar with the DSDT Editor yet. I'll read more about this tool.
If you think, my BIOS settings is wrong somewhere? i don't like to reflash my BIOS again.
Again, thanks for the help.

If you have 2.30A you won't need to flash again.

Those new Multibeast settings are much better.

Try this DSDT and see what happens.

View attachment Maclion.zip

Also, post your smbios.plist and org.chameleon.boot.plist please.

My new hard drives should arrive today and I will let you know (maybe tomorrow, depending on when they arrive and how long it takes me to get set up again) how the install goes with this board and all of the tips/files provided in this thread. =)

I loaded the DSDT and the sleep still on/off intermittently. Here are my other plist files.

Attachments

• org.chameleon.Boot.plist
    647 bytes · Views: 252
  • smbios.plist
    473 bytes · Views: 139
Hey there,

any of you got measurements regarding idle power consumption with this board and OSX?

Thanks!

Mavericks install went perfectly. No need for Bluetooth or HDMI display/sound (have an external sound card and GTX 670 running with three monitors and zero issues) but sleep doesn't work. I'll go look at my BIOS settings and see if I can troubleshoot that, but for the moment I don't really care. =)

Wonkey, could you please post your exact bios settings please?
The fact that sleep doesn't work gives me headaches.

Thank you :)

I will do. I've asked Asrock to put a screen snapshot function in the bios, but no reply yet. Its a pain having to write all that lot down lol

I tried snapping the bios pages with my iphone too but the white coloured fields just reflect too much and you cant see what is set in them.

Be patient, young jedi ...

:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back