Contribute
Register

Z790 Chipset & Raptor Lake

Samsung M.2 drives can be problematic when used for macOS. Have a read of this thread for more information on this issue.

Thank you very much for the information. However, even with another M.2, my EFI wont work.

Set ApfsTrim to 0 for faster boot times, Enable Hyperthreading and all P-Cores and all E-Cores in Bios, change SMBIOS to iMac Pro 1.1 for better Geekbench results. Did you enable VTD in Bios? Try changing ResizeAppleGpuBars to 0, Add the below "GPRW to XPRW" to ACPI - Patch for sleep and add the attached SSDT for sleep. Also, I use OpenHfsPlus in drivers instead of HfsPlus, maybe try and see if it makes a difference.

View attachment 570477

View attachment 570475

View attachment 570474

Thank you sincerely for your advice! (^-^) It took my awhile to get around to it, but I eventually applied the recommendations, and have been attempting regular creative-use for a little bit, now. Alas, no improvements. (-___-) Sigh... Finder still operates slow. Still giving me a "Loading..." message, when I try to search for anything. Still crashes when trying to multi-task too many processes or opening too big of files. And still won't wake from sleep..

I'm at such a loss. I don't know what I could possibly do, to fix these problems. I've spent countless hours trying to get it working correctly, feel like I've done everything, but still not stable... (-___-) Sigh...

Hi, just throwing a couple of ideas

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 64gb (2x32gb) DDR5-6400 CL32 [without XMP in BIOS, it drops to 4800]
As per your screenshot, you are running your RAM with XMP on, aren't you? Any clue whether your IMC is running at 1:2 or 1:4?

• Finder is slow, laggy and jittery. It isn't unbearable, but definitely noticeable. I am a very fast typist, and when typing a search query into a Finder window, it will sometimes hang up for a second. Not associated with keystroke settings in System Preferences. I am also certain that I have never seen a Macintosh Finder window say, "Loading...", in my life, heh. Scrolling is jittery and skips when viewing finder windows with lots of content.
Is there any process hogging your resources? Have a look at Activity Monitor.
Because of interferences, I had issues in the past with the Logitech USB receiver causing my MX Master mouse to lag A LOT. However, you mention the Finder as being unresponsive, so it must be something else. Good to keep in mind anyway...

• Applications take longer to boot than they should, sometimes almost twice or three times as long as my M2 Macbook Air.
Might not be related, but did you check for firmware update for your SN850x's?

• CPU benchmarks are not impressive.
See above. Maybe set BIOS defaults and start over. Also, it is a good idea to compare it w/ Windows version counterpart.

EFI Zip and pList attached. Serial Numbers removed.
Try swapping your SSDT-PLUG-ALT.aml with the attached SSDT-PLUG-ALT-Z690.aml (courtesy of CaseySJ's EFIs)? + enable ProvideCurrentCpuInfo, add CPUFriend.kext, CPUFriendDataProvider.kext, CpuTopologyRebuild.kext & -ctrsmt bootarg
Good luck ahah

I have downloaded your EFI [..]
AMD RX 580 graphics card 8GB
MissCatD uses agdpmod=pikera in boot-args, I think it's just for Navi cards, right @Edhawk?

Attachments

• SSDT-PLUG-ALT-Z690.aml
    4 KB · Views: 19
MissCatD uses agdpmod=pikera in boot-args, I think it's just for Navi cards, right @Edhawk?
Yes, the agdpmod=pikera boot argument is only for use with Navi graphics cards. It is not required with a Polaris (RX580) or Vega 56/64 card.

I sadly have not had time to tamper with my build since my last post. (-___-) Sadness. But I was wondering how Sonoma was treating everyone, on this hardware? (O,0)

I decidedly upgraded my Laptop (Macbook Air M2) from Montery to Ventura, last weekend, and was devastated to learn that there's a new Print Settings bug that won't let me save my paper type or color profile, when printing. Ventura has already been out so long, and there are threads everywhere about the issue, unaddressed. I'm mindblown that Apple hasn't bothered to fix it. And apparently Sonoma's beta still has the same bug? Anyone know if this might still be a thing, in the latest release?

I'm an artist, and I do my own printing. If I cannot change the settings to Luster for my photo prints or Gloss for my button prints, they come out streaky and faded - obviously because they're on the wrong paper profile. So.... ..I outright cannot print, while on Ventura. I have no choice but to go to the nightmare hassle of downgrading my laptop. Hopefully my Time Machine backup can save me.

With that said, I don't like my Laptop being on a different OS from my Hackintosh. Might just fresh-install Montery on a new disk, and hope it fixes all these awful issues, pfft. (> <)

Hi @valvator

I'm about to pull the trigger on this mobo and was wondering how well it was working for you since your last update?

Thanks!

not OP

But I'm using the same board and all in all very happy with it.
Only had it for a couple weeks so far (the 14900K came out while my 13900K was being shipped so I returned it)
- Gigabyte Z790 Aero G, lastest firmware at the time of the built - F9
- 14900K (disabled the iGPU in bios)
- 96GB (2x48GB) 6400Mhz Corsair DDR5 (with XMP for now)
- XFX 6950XT Merc (with reBAR enabled in bios)
- WD 850x nvme
- swapped the wifi chip for the BCM94360NG for airdrop/continuity (which works great, range is low-ish but good enough for my usage)

The system is very stable, but out of the last too weeks only a weird reboot mid work a couple time within the hour doing very heavy CPU 3d rending in fusion360 both time on the same project. I use that program everyday and hasn't happen before or since, so just a one time fluke it seems, likely unrelated to macOS anyway, more likely to be bios, CPU, XMP, I didn't check if there was some stock overclock in the bios yet, like all core boost)

Did take me a couple days to get it to boot to the installer, but once I found the single thing that was blocking it, all went well. for me it was having to enable reBAR for my GPU in bios (and corresponding setting in the OC config). Everything else pretty much in line with the better EFI setting found in this thread. Another important one for me was
SetupVirtualMap set to true.

Generated most of the needed SSDT in linux, and usb map in windows to fit what made most sense for my setup.

Haven't dealt with sleep yet (doesn't work for me, back screen) nor onboard audio (I have a USB DAC)

Unrelated to this board, but staying on Ventura for now, I don't want to patch the system after each update to get airdrop/continuity running in Sonoma. Sonoma seems nice but not nice enough yet to deal with this or give up airdrop/continuity (otherwise wifi with intel card does work, and ethernet as well)
--

While at it want to thank everyone for all the good insight reading this thread and the Z690 CaseySJ thread.

Last edited:
not OP

But I'm using the same board and all in all very happy with it.
Only had it for a couple weeks so far (the 14900K came out while my 13900K was being shipped so I retuned it)
- WD 850x nvme
- swapped the wifi chip for the BCM94360NG for airdrop/continuity (which works great, range is low-ish but good enough for my usage)

The system is very stable, but out of the last too weeks only a weird reboot mid work a couple time within the hour doing very heavy CPU 3d rending in fusion360 both time on the same project. I use that program everyday and hasn't happen before or since, so just a one time fluke it seems, likely unrelated to macOS anyway, more likely to be bios, CPU, XMP, I didn't check if there was some stock overclock in the bios yet, like all core boost)

Did take me a couple days to get it to boot to the installer, but once I found the single thing that was blocking it, all went well. for me it was having to enable reBAR for my GPU in bios (and corresponding setting the OC config). Everything else pretty much in line with the better EFI setting found in this thread. Another important one for me was
SetupVirtualMap set to true.

Generated most of the needed SSDT in linux, and usb map in windows to fit what made most sense for my setup.

Haven't dealt with sleep yet (doesn't work for me, back screen) nor onboard audio (I have a USB DAC)

Unrelated to this board, but staying on Ventura for now, I don't want to patch the system after each update to get airdrop/continuity running in Sonoma. Sonoma seems nice but not nice enough yet to deal with this or give up airdrop/continuity (otherwise wifi with intel card does work, and ethernet as well)
--

While at it want to thank everyone for all the good insight reading this thread and the Z690 CaseySJ thread.

Awesome! I'm looking at building almost the exact same build :)

Did you use the same efi posted by valvator in July? If not, would it be possible to share your Efi?

What was the reason you needed to generate a new ssdt? Thanks!

Awesome! I'm looking at building almost the exact same build :)

Did you use the same efi posted by valvator in July? If not, would it be possible to share your Efi?

What was the reason you needed to generate a new ssdt? Thanks!

Just wanted to go through the process of setting up each ssdt myself, with a clean setup, and fresh linux install (I never know if someone copied SSTD from say a z690 in case there are minor differences or worse an older system, and did find such EFI posted here. For instance if I find an SSDT posted here with a path difference from PC00, I know not to trust that EFI (and did find such EFI here)

For the GPU, I first made those ssdt on my z390 as I received it first before the rest of the components, and glad I did as that also took me a couple days to get it running, like renaming a PCI bridge (something I didn't know about, the 580 and later 5700xt both just worked without any tweaks) and also spoofing the GPU.
Then once I moved it to the z790 it was just a matter of editing the device path that the z790 uses, and the GPU just worked since all that work of understanding it all was done (beside reBar which wasn't needed on my z390, but was for the z790)

Good EFI found in this thread will likely have identical SSTD as what I'm posting
So I just like going into the details of everything if I can, to keep the EFI as clean as possible, and an untouched OS.

Reposting specs here to be in one place:

- WD 850x nvme (two in the two port just above the wifi, don't populate the port above the GPU, as it will split the GPU PCI bandwidth in half )
- swapped the wifi chip for the BCM94360NG for airdrop/continuity (which works great, range is low-ish but good enough for my usage), but keep the intel near by as it may be needed for a Sonoma or later upgrade, stored mine in my PC case (nzxt H5 flow + two front fan) in the back near the PSU

----------------
Here is the list of SSDT that generated myself or from dortania and edited, and some need further investigating

For GPU: bridge and spoof
SSDT-BRG0-Z790-AERO-G
SSDT-GPU-SPOOF-6950XT-Z790-AERO-G

Basic ones (generated in linux):
SSDT-EC-AERO-G
SSDT-PLUG-ALT-Z790-AERO-G
SSDT-RTCAWAC-AERO-G
SSDT-USBX-AERO-G

Fix Nvram: didn't actually check if it was needed, but nvram is working and needed it in the z390, then I tweaked the path to work on Z790. Since nvram does work with it I left it for another day of testing and it's not breaking anything at least.
SSDT-PMC-Z790-AERO-G

May need further look into it:
SSDT-SBUS-MCHC-AERO-G ~ taken from dortania, and edited Path, there is a section that was commented and says to get information from intel, but don't even know where to find that. Saw someone here or in the z690 that had that section uncommented and unedited so I did the same.

To fix sleep, found here, but not working for me (1st sleep works, wake need the keyboard to pressed twice, second sleep screen go black and all fans going 100% and requires a hard reboot)
SSDT-GPRW--FIX-SLEEP - it's not seemingly hurting anything so leaving it for now

----------------

Here is the list of Kext:
AppleALC
- I saw that the audio controller on this is supported by that kext, so should just need the correct audio id in the OC config, likely posted here, needs a device property in OC config then onboard sound works (see a couple post below this)
AppleIGC - 2.5Gb ethernet, just needs e1000=0 in the boot arg, no ACPI patches needed anymore
VirtualSMC - basic needed kext
Lilu - basic needed kext
SMCSuperIO - basic needed kext
SMCProcessor - basic needed kext
WhateverGreen - basic needed kext
RadeonSensor - for RadeonGadget (get GPU temps) - https://github.com/aluveitie/RadeonSensor
SMCRadeonGPU - for RadeonGadget
USBToolBox - for USBmap
UTBMap - my custom usb map, generate your own in windows if you want different ports (I think back bottom are USB 3 only, kept internal USB2 enabled, upper usb are USB 2 only anyway, and middle USB A I think I made them both usb2 and 3, from io I think did USB 2 and 3 including the C port, and internal USB that the internal bluetooth uses enabled so you can swap the card to a Broadcom one and get BT) - I did the windows route, as I somehow couldn't' get USB 3/SS to show up in hackintool (not an issue I had with the z390)

USBWakeFixup - to fix sleep, found here, but not working for me - it's not seemingly hurting anything so leaving it for now

----------------

in OC config
generate and edit MLB, ROM, SystemSerialNumber, SystemUUID
I'm using iMacPro1,1

I added a line I found elsewhere for CPU name, revcpuname entry
but it's not working likely need something else, but it's cosmetic so haven't looked further into it. so it still says 3.18Ghz unknown cpu in the system information
needs ProcessorType to be 3842 3841 and RestrictEvents.kext
(new EFI from nov 5, 2023 has the updated stuff)

Also have some DeviceProperties for the 6950xt, search my OC config for "ATY,Carswell", likely valid for 6800/6900 as well.
This is with Ventura, not tested with Sonoma but should work – my z390 installed Sonoma without issue besides breaking wifi/continuity/airdrop, but did get the intel wifi working with a kext, easy to find, so I deleted that test and kept Ventura on that system as well.

I have not tested SATA connector, I see in valvator OC config that there are DeviceProperties entries, so might be useful to copy those ( only thing to possibly not copy from their config is the i225V controller, the kext mentioned above and boot arg are enough )

----------------

for CPU temp / stats

---

Sound through display port and hdmi works with that GPU

Sound through front IO worked after adding device properties found in valvator, but after a few test sound volume was sometime going up and down in a weird way. So there might be more to it to get it right. though my USB DAC (behinger UMC202HD that I had for a while, sound has always been good so I stick with that for headphones and also have my speakers connected to it, they need balanced wire/connector)
(new EFI from nov 5, 2023 has the updated stuff)

One last note, that board has a display port passthrough that goes into a USB C, the video signal did work but was noisy and sometime had a blacked screen by lack of a strong signal (not a crashed OS, would just need to swap it back to display port and would all be well), I used the usb C provided with the monitor (LG), but didn't investigate any further as I simply went back to using display port cable.
The usb C video signal was seemingly clean and did work well in linux, so must be a macOS thing, maybe lack of power, who knows.

All USB C port however did work perfectly well with a Sandisk external USB C SSD (I actually had the macOS installer on that drive)

I'm double booting windows, but haven't done it through OpenCore, currently using the F12 menu, but do have the OC config that should allow windows to be unaffected by OC

One more last last note, this system takes forever to show the boot screen, just black screen for a long 3~5seconds, but then keyboard shortcut like F12 or Del, respond instantly once that screen is up, which is nice, unlike my z390, that post instantly, but take forever to register the keyboard F12/Del so I end up smashing those button repeatedly on the z390

Performance note, even with the CPU not reaching more than 3.2Ghz (according to what I read here and make sense) which is max speed on the efficiency core, that system is about 2.5~3x faster than my 9900K at full 4.7~5Ghz within MacOS for things like 3D rendering in Fusion360 (CPU based, all threads at 100%). Haven't compared with the windows side of things yet.
6950XT is about 2~2.5x faster than the 5700xt that I have in my 9900k z390 system from benchmark

cinebenchR23 score 2009/36983, which isn't bad if all cores are all indeed limited at 3.2Ghz 4.4Ghz E core turbo (can't confirm it) - with all 24 core (P+E) and hyper threading enabled

Attachments

• bios_z790_aero_g.jpg
    bios_z790_aero_g.jpg
    644.5 KB · Views: 36
  • efi_z790aeroG_2023-11-05.zip
    5.8 MB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Just wanted to go through the process of setting up each ssdt myself, with a clean setup, and fresh linux install (I never know if someone copied SSTD from say a z690 in case there are minor differences or worse an older system, and did find such EFI posted here. For instance if I find an SSDT posted here with a path difference from PC00, I know not to trust that EFI (and did find such EFI here)

For the GPU, I first made those ssdt on my z390 as I received it first before the rest of the components, and glad I did as that also took me a couple days to get it running, like renaming a PCI bridge (something I didn't know about, the 580 and later 5700xt both just worked without any tweaks) and also spoofing the GPU.
Then once I moved it to the z790 it was just a matter of editing the device path that the z790 uses, and the GPU just worked since all that work of understanding it all was done (beside reBar which wasn't needed on my z390, but was for the z790)

Good EFI found in this thread will likely have identical SSTD as what I'm posting
So I just like going into the details of everything if I can, to keep the EFI as clean as possible, and an untouched OS.

Reposting specs here to be in one place:

- WD 850x nvme (two in the two port just above the wifi, don't populate the port above the GPU, as it will split the GPU PCI bandwidth in half )
- swapped the wifi chip for the BCM94360NG for airdrop/continuity (which works great, range is low-ish but good enough for my usage), but keep the intel near by as it may be needed for a Sonoma or later upgrade, stored mine in my PC case (nzxt H5 flow + two front fan) in the back near the PSU

----------------
Here is the list of SSDT that generated myself or from dortania and edited, and some need further investigating

For GPU: bridge and spoof
SSDT-BRG0-Z790-AERO-G
SSDT-GPU-SPOOF-6950XT-Z790-AERO-G

Basic ones (generated in linux):
SSDT-EC-AERO-G
SSDT-PLUG-ALT-Z790-AERO-G
SSDT-RTCAWAC-AERO-G
SSDT-USBX-AERO-G

Fix Nvram: didn't actually check if it was needed, but nvram is working and needed it in the z390, tweak the path to work on Z790. Since nvram does work with it I left it for another day of testing and it's not breaking anything at least.
SSDT-PMC-Z790-AERO-G

May need further look into it:
SSDT-SBUS-MCHC-AERO-G ~ taken from dortania, and edited Path, there is a section that was commented and says to get information from intel, but don't even know where to find that. Saw someone here or in the z690 that had that section uncommented and unedited so I did the same.

To fix sleep, found here, but not working for me
SSDT-GPRW--FIX-SLEEP

----------------

Here is the list of Kext:
AppleALC
- I saw that the audio controller on this is supported by that kext, so should just need the correct audio id in the OC config, likely posted here (if you do go through it please share it)
AppleIGC - 2.5Gb ethernet, just needs e1000=0 in the boot arg, no ACPI patches needed anymore
VirtualSMC - basic needed kext
Lilu - basic needed kext
SMCSuperIO - basic needed kext
SMCProcessor - basic needed kext
WhateverGreen - basic needed kext
RadeonSensor - for RadeonGadget (get GPU temps) - https://github.com/aluveitie/RadeonSensor
SMCRadeonGPU - for RadeonGadget
USBToolBox - for USBmap
UTBMap - my custom usb map, generate your own in windows if you want different ports (I think back bottom are USB 3 only, kept internal USB2 enabled, upper usb are USB 2 only anyway, and middle USB A I think I made them both usb2 and 3, from io I think did USB 2 and 3 including the C port, and internal USB that the internal bluetooth uses enabled so you can swap the card to a Broadcom one and get BT) - I did the windows route, as I somehow couldn't' get USB 3/SS to show up in hackintool (not an issue I had with the z390)

USBWakeFixup - to fix sleep, found here, but not working for me

----------------

in OC config
generate and edit MLB, ROM, SystemSerialNumber, SystemUUID
I'm using iMacPro1,1

I added a line I found elsewhere for CPU name, revcpuname entry
but it's not working likely need something else, but it's cosmetic so haven't looked further into it. so it still says 3.18Ghz unknown cpu in the system information

This is with Ventura, not tested with Sonoma but should work – my z390 installed Sonoma without issue besides breaking wifi/continuity/airdrop, but did get the intel wifi working with a kext, easy to find, so I deleted that test and kept Ventura on that system as well.
----------------

for CPU temp / stats

---

Sound through display port and hdmi works with that GPU

One last note, that board has a display port passthrough that goes into a USB C, the video signal did work but was noisy and sometime had a blacked screen by lack of a strong signal (not a crashed OS, would just need to swap it back to display port and would all be well), I used the usb C provided with the monitor (LG), but didn't investigate any further as I simply went back to using display port cable.
The usb C video signal was seemingly clean and did work well in linux, so must be a macOS thing, maybe lack of power, who knows.

All USB C port however did work perfectly well with a Sandisk external USB C SSD (I actually had the macOS installer on that drive)

I'm double booting windows, but haven't done it through OpenCore, currently using the F12 menu, but do have the OC config that should allow windows to be unaffected by OC

One more last last note, this system takes forever to show the boot screen, just black screen for a long 3~5seconds, but then keyboard shortcut like F12 or Del, respond instantly once that screen is up, which is nice, unlike my z390, that post instantly, but take forever to register the keyboard F12/Del so I end up smashing those button repeatedly on the z390

Performance note, even with the CPU not reaching more than 3.2Ghz (according to what I read here and make sense) which is max speed on the efficiency core, that system is about 2.5~3x faster than my 9900K at full 4.7~5Ghz within MacOS for things like 3D rendering in Fusion360 (CPU based, all threads at 100%). Haven't compared with the windows side of things yet.
6950XT is about 2~2.5x faster than the 5700xt that I have in my 9900k z390 system from benchmark

Amazing. Thank you for the guide.

Back