Contribute
Register

Z790 Chipset & Raptor Lake

Yeah, that's what I feared, haha. (T¬T) The Fenvi has always seemed pretty solid, but man, it's so old, a Bluetooth and Wifi boost would still be nice. (> <)
This is my speed on wifi only using the Fenvi
Screenshot 2023-08-01 at 17.14.56.png

Yeah, that's what I thought.

• My current board is the 'Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Rev 1.1'
• Its specs page says that its Wifi/Bluetooth Card is, "Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX211, supporting 2.4/5/6GHz freq. & BT 5.3, supporting 11ax 160MHz wireless up to 2.4Gbps data"

• Dortania recommended 'Airportltlwn.kext', for this.
• I looked into it, and the official download page states, 'added support for device family AX211', as of v2.1.0, "Support more Killer devices from the AX211 family" and "Support macOS Ventura, Location Services & Wi-Fi", as of v2.2.0

• So I included "stable_Ventura", 'Airportitlwn.kext' v2.2.0 in my EFI & pList
• Made sure 'SecureBootModel' in my pList was set to 'Default', as instructed
Ran a test-install (still haven't created custom SSDTs and USB-Mapping, hope to find time, tonight), and nada. No Wifi or Bluetooth.

I'm hoping it's an SSDT or USB-map issue, which should be determined within the next day or two. I currently have an old 'Fenvi FV-T919 802.11' adapter that I can plug in, but I don't know if it's even still compatible with Ventura.

Just wanted a second opinion, incase I had misunderstood and do indeed need to purchase a separate PCIe card.

Note: I don't use Handoff, just standard device-bluetooth, internet-wifi and AirDrop (effected?).

A little late to the party. Adding Airportitlwn.kext for Ventura should work; Bluetooth won't because it requires three other kexts, but wireless should. USB Port mapping should not be needed to enable it but bluetooth will requires it though.
Did you reset NVRAM after adding the kext and rebooting? I assume you have the card enabled in the bios and the antenna attached?

@MissCatD,
The Fenvi T919 1750 WiFi/BT PCIe card will give you 1300Mbps download which is the 801.11ac. Unfortunately, the onboard Intel with the Airportltlwn.kext only gives ~800Mbps. So, go with the Fenvi T919 1750Mbps card.

A little late to the party. Adding Airportitlwn.kext for Ventura should work; Bluetooth won't because it requires three other kexts, but wireless should. USB Port mapping should not be needed to enable it but bluetooth will requires it though.
Did you reset NVRAM after adding the kext and rebooting? I assume you have the card enabled in the bios and the antenna attached?

Yeah, I've been clearing my NVRAM every time I make a change or reboot. (^ ^) Very useful Tool. I sadly didn't have a whole lot of time to do much of anything, last night, but am relieved that simply plugging my Windows10 SSD directly into my new system booted up 100%, with no issues. ;(^¬^) Updates ensued. Windows is already showing improved functionality, since being in my retired build. I should be able to use this to make the custom SSDTs and USB-Map very easily, either tonight or tomorrow. I'm certain these will fix a few things.

Besides that, here's an attached screenshot of my current EFI folder structure. I've tried to exclude as much as I possibly can, without sacrificing functionality, as I don't like folder clutter and holding onto things that I know I don't need. I read up on everything that I included. Let me know if you see something you think my folder shouldn't require or benefit from.

On my Ventura test install, the only issues that I immediately recognized were the mobo's Intel Wifi/Bluetooth not working (of course connected and antenna accessible! (^-^)) and refuse-to-wake from self-initiated sleep. I'm very confident that new SSDTs and a USB-Map should fix this wake issue, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-08-01 at 10.58.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-08-01 at 10.58.07 AM.png
    243.7 KB · Views: 23
This is my speed on wifi only using the Fenvi
View attachment 569837

Whelp, that's strange. After not touching anything for 2 days, I booted up my test-install of Ventura, and suddenly WiFi working off the Intel card. Still no Bluetooth. I must be missing something.

I'm jealous of your upload speed. The first attached screenshot is what I pulled, on my Intel. Numbers look about average, for our "Gigablast" Internet, pfft. Second attached is what I pulled off my M2 MacBook Air, still on Monterey. A little surprised to find that the Intel pulled higher numbers.

I'll def test and compare with the Fenvi, after I get these new SSDTs plugged in, and USB Map made. I'm having some trouble with the USB Map. USBToolBox freezes up when searching for Controllers, on Windows 10. Hm.

Screenshot 2023-08-02 at 9.02.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-08-02 at 9.07.24 PM.png

Has everyone here had success moving their User profile to another disk? I started from scratch, and finally had what appeared to be a solid bootdrive working. Custom SSDTs and a working USB Map. I gave up on getting the Intel Bluetooth to work, so settled and plugged in the Fenvi. Everything seemed pretty solid.

So I migrated my data from my Time Machine backup to the new drive (WDBlack SN850X 1Tb). Everything still fine. Reformatted my second NVMe (WDBlack SN850X 2Tb), dragged my primary user profile over to it, set the user path to the new folder, and... ...Everything broke. My USB Map is now missing ports. My Adobe programs either won't open or outright crash my computer. I get an error saying that my "device shut down due to an error", every time I boot up. And this is even when I login to my "Administrator" profile, still on the original disk. Sigh. Uhg.

Am I doomed to have my User Profile data on the same drive as my OS, nowadays? It's been awhile since I've had them separate.

Last edited:
MacOS won't have anything in place for the user on the other drive where you dragged the User's Home folder. It will still be looking in the original location for the User folders.

Have a read of this page on Livewire, it sets out how to achieve what you are wanting to do.

@MissCatD Did you try change the location under users-Advanced?

Screenshot 2023-08-07 at 08.05.58.png

@Edhawk & @suren6791

Yeah, I've done it before, on my previous build. You typically would drag an identical copy of the home folder onto the new disk, leave a backup/testing/admin account on the original disk along with an empty folder with the same name as the moved profile. Then you would change the Home Directory path in the Advanced User Options. All doing this from the host account.

The last time I upgraded to NVMe, I lazily decided to just keep everything on the same disk, but with my new build, I was hoping to return to separate drives.

I discovered that I had incorrectly mapped my USBs, so re-mapped that in Windows and included some additional debugging tools to the boot-args. Then decided to just wipe. I'll re-install, tonight. We'll see how it goes.

Was mostly just curious if anyone else here has had success with the procedure on Z790/Raptor. -(^ - ^)- After my reinstall, I'll try again, but this time with an empty profile.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-08-06 at 4.53.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-08-06 at 4.53.21 PM.png
    758.5 KB · Views: 18
Back