Contribute
Register

Z790 Chipset & Raptor Lake

i was follow your link, but i wrong click the button (clear all) and then all usb is empty.
i try reboot, change usbinjectall.kext, change ssdt-usb-x but still empty.
what next i do?...

and XHCI name is like this
View attachment 569716
hit the refresh icon

i was follow your link, but i wrong click the button (clear all) and then all usb is empty.
i try reboot, change usbinjectall.kext, change ssdt-usb-x but still empty.
what next i do?...

and XHCI name is like this
View attachment 569716

hit the refresh icon

FYI...
Screenshot 2023-07-30 at 8.31.44 AM.png

Still empty...

Still empty...

i was change SSDT EC USBX, change usbinjection, but still empty...
how to reset to default?...
Please compress and post your EFI folder, but remove serial numbers from config.plist -> PlatformInfo -> DataHub.

Creating a USB port map is time consuming, but not too bad. In my opinion we should just follow one of the USB port mapping guides such as:

I am not a fan of USBToolBox or other utilities that try and assist. My main complaint against USBToolBox is the lack of clear and complete instructions.

I am not a fan of USBToolBox or other utilities that try and assist. My main complaint against USBToolBox is the lack of clear and complete instructions.

I'd like to add a bit of clarification context for the above comment.

Recognizing and honoring that CaseySJ is an very capable and influential contributor, I'll say that following his lead always pays off.

But in this case he's making a distinction about which I want to offer some clarification.

As well as Hackintool, there are two other popular helper options:

• Corpnewt's USBmap, which runs on macOS, and expects a Python3 instance supplied by macOS or a user-installed Python3 (Apple's Python2.7 was removed from macOS at Monterey 12.3 and Python3 only comes with Xcode Developer Tools. USBmap got updated to Python3 but didn't bundle it, which leads to a headache for some users.

• USBToolBox is an enhancement of Corpnewt's USBmap, that runs as a self-contained Python environment on Windows or macOS and streamlines discovery and deployment for certain use-cases, which I will clarify below.

Conceptually, using any of these helpers is the the same approach:

1) Enable detection of all system ports beyond the macOS 15-port PCI root controller limit (up to a hard limit of 26 ports per root).

2) Determine (Detect) specific port locations and personalities, choose to enable only 15 for the main controller, and set port types accordingly (aka "mapping").

3) Generate and install a kext for the map.

Hackintool is oldest and most venerable helper. It uses XhciPortLimit quirk and USBInjectAll.kext as a generic "dummy" map for step 1

USBmap came next. It overcame the broken XhciPortLimit quirk by use of a custom "dummy" map which you generate in step (1). You install the dummy, complete step 2, and replace the dummy with the final map in step 3. By virtue of the dummy map USBInjectAll.kext is not needed.

USBToolbox upgraded USBmap and can run in Windows to skip both setting up XhciPortLimit and the dummy. It also includes an optional "shim" kext which hides the detail of what SMBIOS is in force for the map kext so you can change your config.plist platform SMBIOS without having to update your existing custom map kext. USBToolbox also has a macOS version, but you still need to use a dummy-map to detect all ports.
No matter what helper you choose, there are various of details about USB mapping, e.g. root controller 15 port limit, 26 port hard limit, USB versions and companion ports, port types—internal vs ext, switched vs unswitched USB-C, etc. These issues remain consistent no matter what helper you choose. There's an exotic issue of PCI root controller renames that is affected by which helper you use, but this only comes up in certain configs, and is an outlier situation.

Having any helper is far more helpful than any difference between the helpers!

The finer point is that what the helper actually does is create a map kext which is just a wrapper for a text config file (what's called a codeless kext, meaning no binary driver). So you could approach mapping by editing the kext's internal Info.plist to set the SMBIOS, controller and port config. You can look up the needed information using IORegistryExplorer and edit a boilerplate map kext by hand. The Helpers help merely by hiding various naming and config dependencies.

The broader point is that much of what you learn using any given helper is applicable to the other helpers.

Ultimately all these helpers are about a bit of convenience, and the details only truly makes sense when you examine the ways the USB hacks work. IOW for most of us it will never make sense!

Hackintool has a GUI and a local forum Beginner's Guide which introduces many important aspects of mapping. The Hackintool GUI is somewhat easier to read than text output of the others, but IMO the advantage is academic. Hackintool plus Guide is very valuable. But it is far from clear and complete.

USBmap helper is (IMO) more self-explanatory than Hackintool, which partly explains why there's no writeup. But also it's creation assumed previous experience with Hackintool.

USBToolbox evolves USBMap and has been written-up elsewhere on the web, including its Github, but the focus is on features added to USBmap because that's how the helper evolved.

IMO, USBToolbox should be today's reference, but since XhciPortLimit got fixed, the old Hackintool way is back in business.

If I were to write up a tutorial, I would explain mapping in 2 parts: one about USB config under macOS and the other about a specific helper. Then I would accumulate as much lore as possible in footnotes.

(I got well underway with such a writeup, but I ran into so much detail I didn't quite understand that I got frustrated and gave up on it.)

I hope this helps provide perspective.

Best to everyone and thx for the great great work and resources.

Tiny question outside of the big conversation happening, right now.. ;(O,0)

Are Fenvi/other 3rd-party Bluetooth/Wifi cards still required for Z790/13th Raptor? Dortania's guide gave the impression that macOS may be able to start using native-mobo wifi/bluetooth, now, but I don't know how accurate that is, or if it even applies to Intel generations after 10th. ???

Tiny question outside of the big conversation happening, right now.. ;(O,0)

Are Fenvi/other 3rd-party Bluetooth/Wifi cards still required for Z790/13th Raptor? Dortania's guide gave the impression that macOS may be able to start using native-mobo wifi/bluetooth, now, but I don't know how accurate that is, or if it even applies to Intel generations after 10th. ???
Instead of a Broadcom based card you’d need a compatible Intel Wireless/Bluetooth card which can be configured to work but it’s not native and it won’t support all continuity features

Instead of a Broadcom based card you’d need a compatible Intel Wireless/Bluetooth card which can be configured to work but it’s not native and it won’t support all continuity features

Yeah, that's what I thought.

• My current board is the 'Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Rev 1.1'
• Its specs page says that its Wifi/Bluetooth Card is, "Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX211, supporting 2.4/5/6GHz freq. & BT 5.3, supporting 11ax 160MHz wireless up to 2.4Gbps data"

• Dortania recommended 'Airportltlwn.kext', for this.
• I looked into it, and the official download page states, 'added support for device family AX211', as of v2.1.0, "Support more Killer devices from the AX211 family" and "Support macOS Ventura, Location Services & Wi-Fi", as of v2.2.0

• So I included "stable_Ventura", 'Airportitlwn.kext' v2.2.0 in my EFI & pList
• Made sure 'SecureBootModel' in my pList was set to 'Default', as instructed
Ran a test-install (still haven't created custom SSDTs and USB-Mapping, hope to find time, tonight), and nada. No Wifi or Bluetooth.

I'm hoping it's an SSDT or USB-map issue, which should be determined within the next day or two. I currently have an old 'Fenvi FV-T919 802.11' adapter that I can plug in, but I don't know if it's even still compatible with Ventura.

Just wanted a second opinion, incase I had misunderstood and do indeed need to purchase a separate PCIe card.

Note: I don't use Handoff, just standard device-bluetooth, internet-wifi and AirDrop (effected?).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-07-31 at 4.56.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-07-31 at 4.56.17 PM.png
    184.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Yeah, that's what I thought.

• My current board is the 'Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Rev 1.1'
• Its specs page says that its Wifi/Bluetooth Card is, "Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX211, supporting 2.4/5/6GHz freq. & BT 5.3, supporting 11ax 160MHz wireless up to 2.4Gbps data"

• Dortania recommended 'Airportltlwn.kext', for this.
• I looked into it, and the official download page states, 'added support for device family AX211', as of v2.1.0, "Support more Killer devices from the AX211 family" and "Support macOS Ventura, Location Services & Wi-Fi", as of v2.2.0

• So I included "stable_Ventura", 'Airportitlwn.kext' v2.2.0 in my EFI & pList
• Made sure 'SecureBootModel' in my pList was set to 'Default', as instructed
Ran a test-install (still haven't created custom SSDTs and USB-Mapping, hope to find time, tonight), and nada. No Wifi or Bluetooth.

I'm hoping it's an SSDT or USB-map issue, which should be determined within the next day or two. I currently have an old 'Fenvi FV-T919 802.11' adapter that I can plug in, but I don't know if it's even still compatible with Ventura.

Just wanted a second opinion, incase I had misunderstood and do indeed need to purchase a separate PCIe card.

Note: I don't use Handoff, just standard device-bluetooth, internet-wifi and AirDrop (effected?).
I say go with the Fenvi T919 if you expect Airdrop to work as Intel don't support that. The Fenvi works unto Ventura with no added kexts or SSDT's but that usb port needs to be enabled, so if you gonna keep both the Intel and Fenvi then you need to exclude Intel in Mac example HS14 to be excluded from your USBports.kext or SSDT-UIAC, which you chose to use. Fenvi T919 does not work in Sonoma without doing some work and you will need to use OCLP and the IOSkywalkFamily.kexts and some patches to get it to work.

I say go with the Fenvi T919 if you expect Airdrop to work as Intel don't support that. The Fenvi works unto Ventura with no added kexts or SSDT's but that usb port needs to be enabled, so if you gonna keep both the Intel and Fenvi then you need to exclude Intel in Mac example HS14 to be excluded from your USBports.kext or SSDT-UIAC, which you chose to use. Fenvi T919 does not work in Sonoma without doing some work and you will need to use OCLP and the IOSkywalkFamily.kexts and some patches to get it to work.

Yeah, that's what I feared, haha. (T¬T) The Fenvi has always seemed pretty solid, but man, it's so old, a Bluetooth and Wifi boost would still be nice. (> <)

Back