Contribute
Register

Z790 Chipset & Raptor Lake

i was try USB-X but i don't know how to check it.View attachment 569682

any clue for this?...
they can be already setup in your USBPorts.kext:

Where did you get the Z790-specific SSDTs? I'll build my own, as soon as I can get an OS on my system, but for now, I don't mind using pre-made kits.
Try this and see if it helps, otherwise @suren6791 suggestion is also a good idea of where to start. The 690 and 790 machines are very, very similar in terms of what's needed to boot. The EFI I uploaded does not support WIFI or Bluetooth and USBInjectAll.kext is enabled along with the XHCIPortLimit quirk. USB Ports will need to be mapped later

Attachments

• EFI Z690 ELITE AX.zip
    44.8 MB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I'm back and I've built (just a few wrinkles left) a new Hackintosh! I actually went legit for a short while - parted out all of my old systems on ebay/local - and bought a new Mac Studio M2 Ultra (64GB, 1TB).. best configuration they carried in stores and I wasn't willing to wait 1.5 months for an SSD/RAM upgraded model to arrive.

IMG_0286.jpg

(tried USB before I upgraded everything to TB4)

I must admit, maybe my standards are too high but I was very disappointed for the price I paid (almost $4300 just for the studio, with tax, not counting an additional $2000+ on external TB4 gear (4 4TB SN850X, TB4 NVME enclosures and ultimately both an OWC and a CalDigit TB4 Hub - wasn't sure if one or the other was faulty). Returned the Studio about 10 days later. Numerous issues that were just not acceptable for the cost. Honestly, my past Hackintosh's delivered better.

Specific problems with the M2 Studio...

1) Constant Thunderbolt disconnects both awake and asleep. Because I had the 1TB model I initially tried using the internal drive solely as a boot drive, mounting /Users/~Home on an external TB4 drive. Worked Ok in partial practice, but yeah, constant disconnects. Not acceptable.

2) When I had the studio fully built I found I was using nearly the entire 1TB internal storage because of all the stuff that I couldn't easily relocate to external storage (like /Users/Shared - aliasing and symlinks would not work and resulted in a lot of data corruption because of the aforementioned disconnects)). Data corruption aside, that much data on the internal drive killed IO performance, not to mention would significantly speed SSD demise turning the Studio into a brick that much quicker. Not acceptable.

When the internal SSD is dead, that's it.. it's a brick. Even if...

3) At this point I figured why not just use the 1TB as a speedy scratch drive, and run everything on a TB drive externally. Boot from a TB4 drive. Bypass the internal SSD altogether. Used to do this on my old MacMini 2018 and it worked great. This was almost perfect, except..

While Apple does allow you to boot Apple Silicon from external TB/USB devices, it's a one and done process. I never did track down the exact terminology and I can't really make sense of it coming from an x86 background, but external AS boot drives are not considered valid/blessed/legit in the chain of ownership for Apple Silicon. You can install the system via what is essentially internet recovery, but you can never update it. In my short time with the Studio Apple released both Rapid Security Response for Ventura 13.4.1 as well as Ventura 13.5. Couldn't update to either. The only way to get newer system software was to completely reactivate and reinstall the system. With 13.4.1 I thought maybe it was a bug, but when 13.5 landed and I still couldn't update it was pretty clear it wasn't, it's by design - there are a lot of posts regarding this over on Apple's forums. The cynic in me thinks this is one of Apple's way of sticking it trying to get around their ridiculous upgrade pricing. Anyway, not acceptable and back it went.

SO

Took all that Apple money and built the best 13900K my local Microcenter had parts for.

13900KS with MSI Coreliquid S360
MSI MEG Godlike z790
192GB Crucial DDR5
AMD 6950XT Reference (older 6950XT was a Powercolor and parted out)
4 4TB WD SN850x, 3 2TB Crucial P5
MSI 1300w ATX3.0 PSU
Hyte Y60

All that and still cost just under what I paid for the Studio. Returned the TB4 hubs and enclosures.

(realizing this is kinda long at this point, going to start a new message with what my actual predicament is)

So this new hack is almost perfect. I've got Thunderbolt, Wifi6e, Bluetooth, ethernet(s), sleep, USB, icloud, 4K, 120hz, etc etc all working.

The problem is my benchmark scores are awful (i forget the numbers, I'm in windows atm, but they are basically half of what they should be). Windows Cinebench R23 clocks in at just about 40K. In MacOS it's about 20K. Let it loop for a bit and it'll go up to about 25K iirc, but nowhere where it should be. Geekbench is also similarly low.. about half of what Windows does.

There are a few new Kexts I'm not familiar with and I'm guessing this is probably where my problem lies. Base speed of the 13900ks is 3.2ghz and the impression I am getting is that the system never actually deviates from that. Like the clock speed is locked or something.

CPUFriend
CPUFriendFriend
CPUTopologyRebuild

Never used any of these before in past systems (actually gave up on my old 12/13 hackintosh attempts, the BIOSes just were too wonky early on), my last hack was an x670e 7950 system (ty amd-osx and caseysj!)) so I'm not quite sure how these work yet with Intels big.LITTLE switch.

I'm still finalizing a few SSDTs as well, so that could also play a part.

Any ideas or first impression on why the benchmarks are so low?

Support for raptorlake?
like SSDT-PLUG-ALT?
Yes, I built my SSDT's last night has a test from windows and extracted them using command from the generated DSDT, put them all in a cloned EFI and added all the SSDT's and generated patches from SSDTime and it boots perfectly.

So this new hack is almost perfect. I've got Thunderbolt, Wifi6e, Bluetooth, ethernet(s), sleep, USB, icloud, 4K, 120hz, etc etc all working.

The problem is my benchmark scores are awful (i forget the numbers, I'm in windows atm, but they are basically half of what they should be). Windows Cinebench R23 clocks in at just about 40K. In MacOS it's about 20K. Let it loop for a bit and it'll go up to about 25K iirc, but nowhere where it should be. Geekbench is also similarly low.. about half of what Windows does.

There are a few new Kexts I'm not familiar with and I'm guessing this is probably where my problem lies. Base speed of the 13900ks is 3.2ghz and the impression I am getting is that the system never actually deviates from that. Like the clock speed is locked or something.

CPUFriend
CPUFriendFriend
CPUTopologyRebuild

Never used any of these before in past systems (actually gave up on my old 12/13 hackintosh attempts, the BIOSes just were too wonky early on), my last hack was an x670e 7950 system (ty amd-osx and caseysj!)) so I'm not quite sure how these work yet with Intels big.LITTLE switch.

My benchmarks are also below par with what I get on windows, and it seems like this is the experience with several others as well, unfortunately.

With my 13900KF I haven’t reliably gotten past at ~2.8K/18K (single core / multi core) Geekbench 6. Cinebench r23 is closer to windows, but still slightly below, at ~36K/2K (single core / multi core).

Now, if your scores are much lower, then definitely try cpu friend + data provider from CaseySJ’s z690 build.

Not sure about ‘friend friend’ (you probably don’t need that).
CpuTopologyRebuild.kext with -ctrsm boot arg should also help.

Also try the iMac1,1 SMBIOS (without cpufriend + data provider).

I also saw improved scores with XMP II enabled.

You can also experiment with E-cores (enabling or disabling them all in BIOS).

But yeah, unfortunately I don’t think it’s ever going to reach parity with Windows scores

Last edited:
CPUFriend
CPUFriendFriend
CPUTopologyRebuild

I think you are on the right track to look into these.

I'm not an expert so just to get the discussion going:

The "friends" are about getting custom frequency scaling vectors into macOS so that its energy mgmt doesn't inhibit clock rates.

The "topology" is about making sure all the cores get on the job.

Your chosen SMBIOS sets a baseline config but starting at 12th gen there's no Apple reference SMBIOS so you have to add config.

You can search for discussions about these config options in 690 / 12th gen threads and build from your learning in that context.

Make sure you're hitting performance expectations in Windows and make overclocking provisions as needed to reach targets, then you can focus macOS performance.

I have a vague recollection of seeing reports that 13th / 790 may have an insurmountable performance limit in macOS, but I only mention this to guide your expectations.

CaseSJ has hosted a huuuge thread on 12th / 690 with all details including performance well documented so look for his writeup, then build from his knowledge.

Best to you

CPUFriend
CPUFriendFriend
CPUTopologyRebuild

I think you mean CPUFriend.kext and CPUFriendDataProvider.kext, those two work in tandem to try and set CPU behavior. It's better to only use either those two together (one without the other does nothing) or CPUTopologyRebuild.kext by itself. Most users have reported better benchmarks with CPUFriend.

they can be already setup in your USBPorts.kext:
i was follow your link, but i wrong click the button (clear all) and then all usb is empty.
i try reboot, change usbinjectall.kext, change ssdt-usb-x but still empty.
what next i do?...

and XHCI name is like this
Screenshot 2023-07-30 at 07.58.30.png

Back