Contribute
Register

Z790 Chipset & Raptor Lake

Hi @nottooshabby, I've tried sleep, I don't know if I've done it right, but I think something similar to you is happening to me; In the "turn off computer" menu I have selected "sleep", all the lights and fans of the computer are turned off except the lighting of the ram memory, when I activate the keyboard or mouse (bluetooth both) the screens are activated, first one and then 5 seconds the other, it takes approximately 15 seconds to activate. Temperatures in order, fans working, everything correct. When I select "sleep" for the second time, the computer goes to sleep but only the screens turn off, the computer stays on but does not respond to mouse or keyboard movements, it gets stuck with a black screen and does not return to operation , you have to force shutdown. My AIO is connected to the "CPU FAN" header, I'm in Bios F3, I think this is a Bios bug because it happens to a lot of people, in my case it doesn't worry me because I don't use sleep, but I understand that for a lot of people who You need it, be an inconvenience, regards.
Thanks for the update. Yes, you are seeing the second sleep issue. If you have a spare fan, try connecting it to CPU_OPT instead of CPU. See if that fan stops spinning after the first sleep. It needs to be set to voltage control in the bios.

As far as fixing the second, sleep, I saw this post somewhere else that may help, but requires some bios fiddling. I don't have the system together anymore, so I cannot test it.

"Sleep works as expected the first time but will freeze the second time unless you enable ERP / S3 / S4 / S5 / S6 (whatever your board supports) sleep support."

Thanks for the update. Yes, you are seeing the second sleep issue. If you have a spare fan, try connecting it to CPU_OPT instead of CPU. See if that fan stops spinning after the first sleep. It needs to be set to voltage control in the bios.

As far as fixing the second, sleep, I saw this post somewhere else that may help, but requires some bios fiddling. I don't have the system together anymore, so I cannot test it.

"Sleep works as expected the first time but will freeze the second time unless you enable ERP / S3 / S4 / S5 / S6 (whatever your board supports) sleep support."
I have ERP activated, it is necessary for my UAD Apollo to work 100%. I seem to remember that S3-S4-S5 are power modes applied by the bios on the components of the motherboard. Some time ago, with an X299 (kgp) system, I had a problem, when I turned off the computer, the Usb connectors still had electricity, I could charge the mobile with the computer turned off, the bios did not cut off the power supply to the Usb connectors. This resulted in problems with some USB external hard drives, because when turning off the computer, the drives did not turn off, I was finding out, that when activating the S3-S4 modes, etc... the problem disappeared, they are energy saving modes, each one has a kind of saving, maybe this has something to do with usb ports, usb port map (kext or .aml…) I don't know, it is something that is beyond my knowledge, at least we already know that it is a general problem, no Just a problem of yours, I hope that in future revisions they will fix it and users will remember that we need TB Titan Ridge...

Hello, I was going to buy a Mac Studio, and this processor appeared that made me go back to hackintosh. Here is the setup that is coming to me:

- Gigabyte z790 Aero G DDR5
- Intel i9 13900K
- AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16 GB
- RAM Kingson FURY Black - 128gb ( 4x32gb) DDR5 -5600MHz
- NZXT Kraken Z73 RGB 360 mm

They say there are still some adjustments to be made, but from what I've read it already works.
Let's cross our fingers and go for another challenge with your help.
I'm creative, and I think I'll be better off with this one and cheaper than the Mac Studio.

I'm creative, and I think I'll be better off with this one and cheaper than the Mac Studio.
What will it be used for ? Have a large case with good airflow/cooling ?

Hello, I was going to buy a Mac Studio, and this processor appeared that made me go back to hackintosh, here is the setup that is coming to me:
They say there are still some adjustments to be made, but from what I've read it already works.
I'm creative and I think I'll be better off with this one and cheaper than the Mac Studio.
If you are a seasoned modern hackintosher who can read and comprehend the highest level of technical detail on this site and are ready to deal with edge-cases beyond the normal Mac nightmare of bugs and weirdness, or you are on the fence about basing on Windows or Linux, aaand if your time is basically free, aaaand if you can afford to give a bit of your experience back to the community, then I salute you and you are undertaking a rewarding project.

If you are wanting to build a box to focus on Mac-based production, just get the properly outfitted Studio and get on with your work. You'll have enough heartaches dealing with the fully supported kit.

Hello, I was going to buy a Mac Studio, and this processor appeared that made me go back to hackintosh, here is the setup that is coming to me:

- Intel i9 13900K
- AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16 GB
- RAM Kingson FURY Black - 128gb ( 4x32gb) DDR5 -5600MHz
- NZXT Kraken Z73 RGB 360 mm

I'm creative and I think I'll be better off with this one and cheaper than the Mac Studio.
These are good components. My main concern is with four 32GB DIMMs. It's likely that XMP will need to be disabled in BIOS, but try booting both ways. I would recommend starting with two of the 32GB DIMMs, in slots A2 and B2. Boot and install the system with 64GB total before embarking on a "journey" to 128GB.

It's also possible that Gigabyte's Z790 BIOS may present some challenges. You owe it to yourself to search this forum for "Z790" and related keywords to see what past experiences have been.

[..]

I am keeping an eye on various thread, I suggest you to check this post of @nottooshabby reinforced by what @etorix wrote here.

I've already built a hackintosh. I'm not an expert, but with the tips I got it to work fine, so far. Also, the components I mention, I would spend between 2000 to 2500€ (I use my Radeon RX 6900 XT, NVMe, PSU...) an equivalent Mac Studio M1 Ultra costs 6000 euros and has a lower performance. Of course, Mac Studio gives less problems, but knowing that for half the money we can have a super machine is tempting. There are some forums that don't have major problems with similar setups.

[..]

I am keeping an eye on various thread, I suggest you to check this post of @nottooshabby reinforced by what @etorix wrote here.
But also be successful:

Hello @nottooshabby & @CaseySJ, according to the Dortania guide, there are several ways to correct the internal audio, I have been testing with "alcid=xx" to try to fix the internal audio problem of the Gigabyte z790 Aero G board, this way is the easiest, yes This way doesn't work. I'll move on to the next one, but I'm writing this just in case I missed a step in this process. I have removed the entry in "DeviceProperties" as I think this entry is cosmetic only, but I am removing it just in case it interferes with any process. I have reviewed the Dortania Guide to Set AppleALC and I think my codec is ALC1220, according to Dortania what I have to do (if I understood correctly…) is to include the boot-arg alcid=xxx in the boot.arg section of NVRAM

Captura de Pantalla 2022-12-23 a las 10.53.02.png

I have tried all of them and none of them enables the audio in the "sound" panel.
Do I have to include 0x100003 somewhere?
I have verified that in the UEFI/Audio section (config.plist) there are also parameters that can be modified, “Audiodevice”, “Audiocodec”, etc… I don't know if I also have to change this…

Any help would be greatly appreciated, regards.

Back