Contribute
Register

Z77 mATX Motherboards and OS X

Status
Not open for further replies.
I upgraded the bios to 1504... is there another modded bios that I should be using?

It that the modded 1504 from saminsnake?

Hello,
I´ve been reading Your post with some interest since i´m planing on doing my first mod, using a case of a G3/G4 PowerMac. For that i´m looking for a suitable mATX board. I´m planing on using custom sets from The Laserhive.
Of the boards You´ve tested i´m looking at these two:
- ASUS P8Z77-M PRO
- MSI Z77MA-G45

My question would be, what further advice would You give if i want to do the following:
- For now i would like to use 10.6. as OS (because i would like to use Rosetta for a few PPC Apps i´m still using). If need arises, i want to be able, to dual- boot, later on, using 10.7..
- Would like to install a separate graphics card instead of on-board graphics.
- Want to install SSD as OS System Hard-disc and use conventional hard-disc i already own.

Is this possible if i shop parts from the list in CustoMac and the one of the two boards?

Olli73

Thanks for any advice on this and anything else i´ve forgotten!!

Hello,
I´ve been reading Your post with some interest since i´m planing on doing my first mod, using a case of a G3/G4 PowerMac. For that i´m looking for a suitable mATX board. I´m planing on using custom sets from The Laserhive.
Of the boards You´ve tested i´m looking at these two:
- ASUS P8Z77-M PRO
- MSI Z77MA-G45

My question would be, what further advice would You give if i want to do the following:
- For now i would like to use 10.6. as OS (because i would like to use Rosetta for a few PPC Apps i´m still using). If need arises, i want to be able, to dual- boot, later on, using 10.7..
- Would like to install a separate graphics card instead of on-board graphics.
- Want to install SSD as OS System Hard-disc and use conventional hard-disc i already own.

Is this possible if i shop parts from the list in CustoMac and the one of the two boards?

Olli73

Thanks for any advice on this and anything else i´ve forgotten!!

If planning to run 10.6, then you should get a Sandy Bridge baord and CPU - there is no support in SL for Ivy Bridge.

Any experience with the ASUS P8Z77-M Pro (modded 1504) updating from 10.8.0 to 10.8.2? Will the update work? Issues?

Any experience with the ASUS P8Z77-M Pro (modded 1504) updating from 10.8.0 to 10.8.2? Will the update work? Issues?

just the infamous oemsmbios.kext issue.
search that kext for more info

Thanks!

... as it turns out, there is indeed a large issue: the system won't boot because it can't load the HD4000 graphics driver. From the log:

Code:
07.10.12 20:44:46,000 kernel[0]: Kext com.apple.driver.AppleIntelHD4000Graphics - library kext com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily not found.07.10.12 20:44:46,000 kernel[0]: Can't load kext com.apple.driver.AppleIntelHD4000Graphics - failed to resolve library dependencies.
07.10.12 20:44:46,000 kernel[0]: Kext com.apple.driver.AppleIntelHD4000Graphics failed to load (0xdc00800e).
07.10.12 20:44:46,000 kernel[0]: Failed to load kext com.apple.driver.AppleIntelHD4000Graphics (error 0xdc00800e).

Booting in safe mode does work (hence me writing this) because in safe mode 10.8.2 will skip loading the HD4000 driver:

Code:
07.10.12 20:48:21,691 com.apple.kextd[11]: Can't load AppleIntelHD4000Graphics.kext - ineligible during safe boot.
07.10.12 20:48:21,692 com.apple.kextd[11]: Load com.apple.driver.AppleIntelHD4000Graphics failed; removing personalities from kernel.
07.10.12 20:53:21,758 com.apple.kextd[11]: Can't load /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHD4000Graphics.kext - ineligible during safe boot.

I take it that all folks who posted success with 10.8.2 are running dedicated GPUs.

So is there a solution for this? Update Chimera to newer version that does proper injections for HD4000 with GraphicsEnabler=Yes? (because that's my theory)

Thanks!

... as it turns out, there is indeed a large issue: the system won't boot because it can't load the HD4000 graphics driver. From the log:
No there isn't, in bios set IGPU memory to 64MB.

Is that a requirement for 10.8.2? Because right now I'm running 10.8.0 with 32MB, it works fine, and this is also the setting that various users have recommended for this board. (Just trying to avoid going on a wild goose chase, i.e. upgrading to 10.8.2, finding out it still won't work, and having to revert to 10.8.0 again.)

EDIT:

I went ahead and tried your suggestion. Now that error message in the log is gone, but the system still won't boot. The last line is:

Code:
Macintosh kernel[0]: macx_swapon SUCCESS

and then it sits just there and does nothing.

However, when reverting to 10.8.0 I see that a subsequent log entry should be:

Code:
Macintosh.local revisiond[44]: UUIDs match!

Could this be the actual issue? I read in some places that the system should be assigned a UUID manually, which I never did because I just couldn't find the proper documentation.

Hi all.

I have already bought all equipment last week (Asus P8Z77-M Pro + 3570K + HD4000)
Today was going to install ML and see there is a problem with the HD 4000 and 10.8.2 ooohhhh ....
Could the same issue happen with 10.8.3?

If the only solution is to buy a dedicated graphics, could you recommend me a cheap graphic card < 170 € and that works well with Mountain Lion.

The GTX 660 and the GTX Ti 660 are very expensive for me.

Greetings. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back