Contribute
Register

Z77 mATX Motherboards and OS X

Status
Not open for further replies.
stappern: I'm thinking the bios didn't flash. You can test by adding NullCPU to your MB settings and see if you can boot from the HD. If so, reflash (follow asus instructions) the process takes a few minutes, boot and remove Null and you should be cool.

Uh yikes, I haven't a clue on how to do that. Does anyone have the modded bios for download or at least a step-by-step tutorial? Just don't know what I would mod even if I learned how to actually do it. Thanks.

first post of this thread, 4th paragraph down.

first post of this thread, 4th paragraph down.

Thanks, looking through your threads now. Posted question on the MSI, Asrock, foxconn patched bios thread.

Using the P88Z77-M Pro, with the i7 3770 (non-K), I have this "issue":

According to MSRDumper I'm only getting P-States 16 33 34 37. HWMonitor says that under full load (GeekBench), all 4 cores were running with a multiplier of 37, i.e. 3700 MHz. I never get 3900 MHz, which is the nominal turbo mode of my CPU.

This is on a modified 1504 BIOS.

I already set the multiplier limit to 40 in the BIOS, but nothing changed.

Are those readings just wrong, or is there a specific BIOS setting that must be changed to rectify the behavior of the board and/or the multiplier readings?

valitor: Opps, I wasn't paying attention, the non-k cpu is locked so raising the turbo limit will have no effect. As I said previously, their are others that have posted this problem... Possibly the asus forum or tech support may have an answer. I'll look around and see what I can find.

EDIT: You could also change the base clock from 100 to 103 for testing.

Where is that setting in the BIOS?

Another thought: What product is your machine? Mine is an iMac12,2. Maybe that's the difference?

Try MacPro 3,1. iMac 12,2 doesn't work well for me.

Interesting, as a MacPro3,1 I'm now getting 16 17 18 20 33 34 37. Still not the same as yours, though. Perhaps the K-model uses different P-states.

EDIT:

Tried again with MacBookPro10,1, got only 16 34. First time, though, that I get the correct max multiplier of 34 (when pushing all 4 cores, e.g. in GeekBench).

This leads me to conclude that depending on the product family Mac OS will assume a different chipset. MacBookPro10,1 = Q77 chipset, which is basically the same as Z77 with a slightly different feature set. So when Mac OS assumes an Ivy Bridge chipset it will set the correct min/max multipliers for my CPU.

I guess for the correct behavior we'll have to wait for Ivy Bridge-based iMacs.

Outstanding review - wish I'd seen this before I tried an install using the GA-H77M-D3H. I've gone through three of them trying to get it to work. First had bad DIMM slots, second had a bad LAN port, and the third had both the bad DIMM and bad LAN! I have another thread asking WTF I could be doing wrong to get three bad ones in a row, but the question I have here is why aren't Gigabyte mATX board recommended? The GA-H77M-D3H has pretty much the same chips as other recommended boards. What am I missing?

I finally got my build together, will this work OK?

MSI Z77MA-G45

Intel Core i3-3225 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz

G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ 2X4

SAMSUNG MZ-7PC128B/WW

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back