Contribute
Register

Z690 Chipset Motherboards and Alder Lake CPU

Can i use the MSI MAG B660 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 for a build with the 12700k? Its compatible for a Hackintosh Build?
Most likely there will be no problems.
Please burn the latest BIOS (even beta) first of all.

thanks. those are a little rich for my budget! I have a 1U server enclosure that currently has a Skylake board in it that I wanted to upgrade. I use it for a server to back up my other Macs. so why do I want to upgrade from a Skylake? because I can! haha

is there a Z690 Mini-ITX board that people are happy with?

thanks
I'm using an ASRock Z690M-ITX/ax which has been rock solid since mid-december. The board layout is really good but it is missing thunderbolt (if you're into that stuff).

Considering that Alder Lake needs a dGPU, that mini-ITX offers only one PCIe slot, and that, for now, Thunderbolt works best from a Titan Ridge card but NOT from a Maple Ridge controller as typically found onboard with Z690, no sane hackintosher should go for Thunderbolt on mini-ITX.

Considering that Alder Lake needs a dGPU, that mini-ITX offers only one PCIe slot, and that, for now, Thunderbolt works best from a Titan Ridge card but NOT from a Maple Ridge controller as typically found onboard with Z690, no sane hackintosher should go for Thunderbolt on mini-ITX.
Sorry, I’m crazy and also really happy with my ITX thunderbolt build. Everything is stable and working

Sorry, I’m crazy and also really happy with my ITX thunderbolt build. Everything is stable and working
No offense meant! :oops:
But with the state of affairs reported by Master @CaseySJ, and knowing that work on Maple Ridge is currently on hold, pending a hypothetical last Intel Mac (Pro) with Maple Ridge and official support in macOS, it seems difficult to recommend onboard Thunderbolt with Alder Lake. Unless, maybe, it is for a very specific device with is known to work in a non-finicky manner in a very specific board.
Either you're very lucky or Asus Z690i Gaming Wifi has an exceptional Thunderbolt implementation.

No offense meant! :oops:
But with the state of affairs reported by Master @CaseySJ, and knowing that work on Maple Ridge is currently on hold, pending a hypothetical last Intel Mac (Pro) with Maple Ridge and official support in macOS, it seems difficult to recommend onboard Thunderbolt with Alder Lake. Unless, maybe, it is for a very specific device with is known to work in a non-finicky manner in a very specific board.
Either you're very lucky or Asus Z690i Gaming Wifi has an exceptional Thunderbolt implementation.
I just want to say I look forward to your posts and appreciate all the work you've done here. All I can say is with the limited access I have to Thunderbolt devices hot plug works (it does on my Z590 Asus ITX board as well). A couple external hard drives and a Thunderbolt dock I have all work great. I'll have to break out my eGPU enclosure at some point and test it but I don't expect any issues.

Yes. Z690 GX BIOS F6 and Z690 UD BIOS F5 improve cooperation with RAM memory 3600MHz. I have not tried higher frequencies.
Hey,

Do you encounter weird noises coming from motherboard area on Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X? I also have F6 BIOS version and since then some weird noises occur. I've disabled C1E CPU State and noises disappeared but ONLY ON WINDOWS (?). In hackintosh it is all back, any idea?

Back