Contribute
Register

Z690 Chipset Motherboards and Alder Lake CPU

These are post-load errors that occur even on Gigabyte Z690 boards. We can largely overlook them although they haven't been more fully studied.

Does your system panic/reboot on second wake-from-sleep or even on first wake-from-sleep?

Is there a Thunderbolt add-in-card installed?

Have USB ports been properly mapped?

Are there any "unusual" devices connected to the system? (Other than GPU, NVMe SSD, SATA SSD, WiFi/BT card.)

At this point I'm going to say it's because I haven't mapped my USBs. Working from home today and will be trying to get it done between meetings and will report back.

ASRock appears to have used one of their ASM107x hubs on HS06 for the USB 2 headers on the board (front USB 2 and Fenvi T919 using them) but nothing else funky going on.

Wake works now!!! Tried a few times in a row and after both a full shut down and after a reboot to confirm.

LSS I didn't have USBs mapped and I was missing the CPUFriend kexts from my config. After mapping USBs I decided to compare my config (from 0.6) to the one from 0.7 and found the kexts were missing.

Looks like the ASRock Z690 Pro RS can be added to the 'it works' list. :D

Wake works now!!! Tried a few times in a row and after both a full shut down and after a reboot to confirm.

LSS I didn't have USBs mapped and I was missing the CPUFriend kexts from my config. After mapping USBs I decided to compare my config (from 0.6) to the one from 0.7 and found the kexts were missing.

Welcome to the working z690 hackintosh club!

Ah, glad to hear another success story!

Success here as well on the Asus Z690 Extreme! Sleep currently doesn't work but that's most likely due to the two internal USB 2 headers sharing a Hub and having Corsair devices connected. The Caldigit TS3 Plus dock works after a warm reboot and that's good enough for me while I wait for the new mac mini :)

Hi, just wanted to report a success story with an ASRock Z690M-itx/ax + 12700k (no e-cores) + 6600XT. My EFI is very minimal but the system appears to be stable. Geekbench single core hovers around 1900. Thanks @CaseySJ for your work.

Attachments

• EFI-asrock-z690m-itx.zip
    3.1 MB · Views: 131

CPUFriend and its data provider are for performance, not for stability. But USB mapping should be high in the priority list—basically at #2, #1 being "boot macOS". With Z690 exposing WAY too many USB ports for macOS (15 per controller) and WiFi and/or audio (ALC4xxx) requiring a port, having a suitable USB map is a pre-requisite for other post-installation steps.
Thanks for contributing to the list of working motherboards!

Hi, just wanted to report a success story with an ASRock Z690M-itx/ax + 12700k (no e-cores) + 6600XT. My EFI is very minimal but the system appears to be stable. Geekbench single core hovers around 1900. Thanks @CaseySJ for your work.
Thanks! If confirmed stable, this mini-ITX will be of interest for other builders.
By updating to OpenCore 0.7.7 next month, or to @vandroiy 's pre-0.7.7 right now, you can enable the E-cores as well.

Cool, but I assume this could affect performance negatively as long as thread scheduler is unaware of the E-cores (?)

There is a chance that some tasks might end up on an E core, and run a fair bit slower. What the odds of that happening are? It really depends on who you ask, but general consensus is that it might affect real world experience

If you're looking for the snappiest feeling system and/or use your system to play games then disabling E cores is the safe bet.

If you frequently compile large amounts of source code, use CPU for en/decoding, or run science batches on multiple cores, then enabling E cores will give you a nice boost

Sometimes ago I tell that on my MSI Z690-A Pro NIC I225-V works without any tricks in config.
After upgrading to Monterey 12.1 this NIC stopped working, I had to use DeviceProperties as in EFI folder v. 0.7 by @etorix - all OK.

Back