Contribute
Register

Z490 & Z590 - Will Z590 ever have macOS Support ?

Here's to hoping that Mac Pro gives us a Thunderbolt 4 driver that works with Z590.

Imagine paying 5000 dollars for one of these new Radeon cards only for Apple to abandon support for x86 in a few years.
It will still work with Windows 10/11. You can of course run Windows on an Intel Mac Pro for many years to come.

This discussion reminds me that I wonder what's really distinctive and great about Mac any more

Will Win-11 finally be not stupid to the point that it's really nice to use?

10 is close and I say this as a pc user since 1980 (actually Apple II with 80 column card and UCSD Pascal) and living through VAX/VMS and the unix wars. The Lisa was a pretty good clone of the Xerox Star :)

With Big Sur hack, my overall level of detachment about Apple hit a plateau where I would be OK to go to Windows because Apple no longer improves anything I care about, they actually wreck it, and the iPhone is a tidy little package.

I fired up Linux Mint and poked at it for a day and came to conclusion I could happily use it except I would truly miss old Photoshop and GIMP is a UI travesty, but I would learn.

PCs refuse to evolve where I want to go which is turn-key web server appliance that lets me publish in modern way without lock in to 3rd party aggregators. Basically I want web publishing to be as easy as opening web browser and I don't want to wake up and discover the service has disbanded like Posterous or Google Plus, or that I've been banned for saying the wrong thing or have my data dragged into some proprietary 3rd party thingee like Apple did to iTunes.

After 40 years the PC is boring because it just locks you into the mindset of service purveyors and mental harassment rather letting you be part of building a better cooler world.

If I have to "sign-in" to someone else's server to retain access to my own or my friends thoughts, that an obviously terrible deal, but it's how everyone thinks the web should work! And a few people get rich beyond measure holding the keys. This completely sucks imho.

As to whether next years CPU will do this or that: ok.

Like a PS5 doesn't make new games better, it's only making them much more detailed, which to me happens to coincide with the games becoming worse!

Meanwhile high-entropy numbers which are actually not in short supply in the least have replaced diamonds&gold as treasure, and the world is literally catching on fire under the colossal load of human enterprise, so much so that our wealthiest want to move to space!

Anyway, it's time for a change. I enjoy the hackintosh community because it's people tinkering, having fun, and looking out for each other without trying to lord over each other

I hope it would make any proper phone-phreak proud and looking forward to a new generation that thinks differently.

This discussion reminds me that I wonder what's really distinctive and great about Mac any more

Will Win-11 finally be not stupid to the point that it's really nice to use?

10 is close and I say this as a pc user since 1980 (actually Apple II with 80 column card and UCSD Pascal) and living through VAX/VMS and the unix wars. The Lisa was a pretty good clone of the Xerox Star :)

With Big Sur hack, my overall level of detachment about Apple hit a plateau where I would be OK to go to Windows because Apple no longer improves anything I care about, they actually wreck it, and the iPhone is a tidy little package.

I fired up Linux Mint and poked at it for a day and came to conclusion I could happily use it except I would truly miss old Photoshop and GIMP is a UI travesty, but I would learn.

PCs refuse to evolve where I want to go which is turn-key web server appliance that lets me publish in modern way without lock in to 3rd party aggregators. Basically I want web publishing to be as easy as opening web browser and I don't want to wake up and discover the service has disbanded like Posterous or Google Plus, or that I've been banned for saying the wrong thing or have my data dragged into some proprietary 3rd party thingee like Apple did to iTunes.

After 40 years the PC is boring because it just locks you into the mindset of service purveyors and mental harassment rather letting you be part of building a better cooler world.

If I have to "sign-in" to someone else's server to retain access to my own or my friends thoughts, that an obviously terrible deal, but it's how everyone thinks the web should work! And a few people get rich beyond measure holding the keys. This completely sucks imho.

As to whether next years CPU will do this or that: ok.

Like a PS5 doesn't make new games better, it's only making them much more detailed, which to me happens to coincide with the games becoming worse!

Meanwhile high-entropy numbers which are actually not in short supply in the least have replaced diamonds&gold as treasure, and the world is literally catching on fire under the colossal load of human enterprise, so much so that our wealthiest want to move to space!

Anyway, it's time for a change. I enjoy the hackintosh community because it's people tinkering, having fun, and looking out for each other without trying to lord over each other

I hope it would make any proper phone-phreak proud and looking forward to a new generation that thinks differently.

Hi there. I really enjoyed reading your post. Thank you for your take on the way things are going.

Remember though a great, thoughtful post like yours, that took time to write, is in the wrong place and is in danger of being removed as "OT" (Off-topic) because it is not about Desktop Compatibility.

You can always move it to the Bat Cave. :thumbup:

Win 11 in my view is a more pleasant experience than win 10.

Looking at the source code for WhateverGreen, it seems that we just need to specify device-id in DeviceProperties section of config.plist and give it the value 0x73BF.

The screenshot below is for the Gigabyte Z390 Designare. The PCI path of the GPU in slot 1 is shown under Devices, then device-id is added as a property on the right.

The PCI path for your motherboard may be different. But see that pop-up menu at the bottom of the screenshot, called List of PCI Devices? Just choose your VGA Controller from there; if there are two VGA controllers, choose the second one and check the model property that will appear automatically.

For device-id, try BF730000 as shown.
View attachment 526065
Hi Casey, I have tried different options. But it seems the only display boots is if I don't add those device properties. When that is added, it gets stuck as shown in the picture and just sits there. In the config.plist under "List of device properties", it never gave the option to add the VGA display for the card; I had to get this from Hackintool and add it manually. The List of Devices gave 2 options which was for PCIe devices for upstream and the other was for downstream. The attached plist file is from Hackintool.
Screen Shot 2021-08-04 at 1.33.10 PM.png

IMG_0775.jpg

Attachments

• pcidevices.plist
    10.4 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Hi Casey, I have tried different options. But it seems the only display boots is if I don't add those device properties. When that is added, it gets stuck as shown in the picture and just sits there. In the config.plist under "List of device properties", it never gave the option to add the VGA display for the card; I had to get this from Hackintool and add it manually. The List of Devices gave 2 options which was for PCIe devices for upstream and the other was for downstream. The attached plist file is from Hackintool.
View attachment 526138

View attachment 526137
Thank you for doing the experiment. It seems we cannot mix Navi 21 and 22. We’ll have to wait until macOS hopefully supports Navi 22.

Does anyone know if it will be possible to use a Gigabyte z590 vision D with a Flashed Titan Ridge? From what I saw the mother has a thunderbolt header, but the page does not say anything about it

Does anyone know if it will be possible to use a Gigabyte z590 vision D with a Flashed Titan Ridge? From what I saw the mother has a thunderbolt header, but the page does not say anything about it
The Gigabyte Z590 Vision D has on-board Maple Ridge and therefore no Thunderbolt header. But a GC-Titan Ridge can still be used. We only need to bridge the top and middle pins of the vertical 5-pin J1 header to power it on.

Back