4. MacBook Pro
  5. Mac mini
  6. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
How about iMac20,1 ? That's what I used with z490 and Comet Lake and the iGPU worked beautifully... both in headless mode as well as the primary GPU. But to use it as the primary GPU, I had to increase DVMT preallocated memory to 96 MB otherwise the system would crash (for 64 MB or 32 MB). Sleep even worked. I only used the iGPU because MacOS 11.0 to 11.3 did not work with my 6800XT.

I haven't tried activating the Comet Lake iGPU framebuffer with z590.

And regarding your point about the Age of Hackintosh probably fading away, I second that. What Apple has done with M1 is amazing, and it serves as a disincentive to the desire or even need of building a Hack.

I saw the new M1 iMacs in the Apple store the other day, I saw the excitement on people's faces, I saw how sleek they look and how beautiful the 4.5K screens look, and thought to myself, am I really going to continue building hacks indefinitely, or am I just going to get a high-performant Apple Silicon mac and call it a day? I like the Hack scene because I'm a tinkerer at heart, i've been tinkering since the 90's. I also like the ability to run Windows/Linux/MacOS on the same box, but unless Intel delivers the performance with Alder Lake/Raptor Lake/Meteor Lake/Lunar Lake there will be little point in me continuing to build a hack anymore. Look at the problems we've had with thunderbolt hotplugging on z590... and the beta bioses from Gigabyte or Asus with their quirks. Whereas macs work well out of the box with no major problems or issues for the most part.

Hackintosh was fun while it lasted, it's been years since I've been doing this, but moving forward, I think I am going to retire in a few years, and I will just build a mini-ITX build to game on in windows, and hook up an ultra-performance Apple Silicon macbook pro (m2 or m3) to my thunderbolt dock and monitors, and just call it a day... I'm waiting to see what happens with Zen4 and Alder/Raptor Lake... but I'm definitely getting a new m2 macbook pro for sure if it drops later this year. No question about it.
Whilst the M1 Macs are great for portables like Macbook Air and iPad Pros, it's still not ideal for users like myself who still need that extra bit of raw performance and prefer to use a dGPU for work - and let's not forget M1 still doesn't have any Thunderbolt eGPU support. That said I do think hackintosh still has a few years yet and think the next generation of Intel and AMD chips that are coming are going to be quite amazing. I for one cannot imagine what kind of performance we'd be getting with say Sapphire Rapids on macOS.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z590 Vision D
CPU
i7-11700K OC @ 5.2GHz
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Whilst the M1 Macs are great for portables like Macbook Air and iPad Pros, it's still not ideal for users like myself who still need that extra bit of raw performance and prefer to use a dGPU for work - and let's not forget M1 still doesn't have any Thunderbolt eGPU support. That said I do think hackintosh still has a few years yet and think the next generation of Intel and AMD chips that are coming are going to be quite amazing. I for one cannot imagine what kind of performance we'd be getting with say Sapphire Rapids on macOS.
Agreed. Fair points all around, especially with dgpu support. I wonder how many future generations of Radeon will be supported?

Sapphire Rapids seems to be a beast. Intel is slowly coming back, it appears. They also announced this week that they taped in their Meteor Lake 7 nm compute tile. And of course AMD is crushing it too.

Looking forward to the next generation of x86! So long as there’s an x86 build of macOS, I have complete faith that the hackintosh community will find a way.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
GTX 770
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey, great summary @dehjomz ! Ive been a loyal Gigabyte user for more than 10 years, but since of late... my AMD builds which consist of Gigabyte B550 Vision D and Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming ITX/TB3.
The Vision D is a nice looking board and has very nice features, however the TB3 on the Asrock is more reliable.
The Vision D is finicky when connecting my UAD Apollo, sometimes it connects and sometimes it doesnt. On the Asrock however, my UAD units would just connect upon boot. It does hotplug with the correct SSDT, but the computer wouldnt shutoff if that SSDT is present.
I too am using the OWC TB4 hub and its great since both the Asrocks X570 and Z490 only has 1 TB port.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z590I Vision D
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 5500 XT
On my z590i ethernet started to behave weird a while back so I switched from patch method back to kext. Upgrade to 11.4 went without a problem. But since the switch I experience frequent speed changed. When I go into Hardware tab of the lan properties I see 2.5G, then it might downgrade to 1G. Not sure how to fix that. It can never stay at the desired speed. If I manually set 2.5G I get network disconnects frequently.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
GTX 770
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thanks to @SchmockLord19 for the guide in getting my Asrock z490 Phantom Gaming ITX/TB3 up and running in no time. I supposed @SchmockLord19 couldnt have done it without @CaseySJ :)

However, there are a few missing points as stated below to get HDMI/DP Audio.

1622108041370.png

1622108508053.png

Thanks!

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z590 Vision D
CPU
i9-11900K
Graphics
GT 710
Looks like I also needed to mess with the speed of my I-225. I saw it was falling to 100Mbps limit. Since everything on my network is gigabit, not 2.5G, I set the speed to 1000baseT and now the speeds match my Z390 build.

We'll see if that holds stable. I am on 11.4 and using the FakePCIID.kext method since the old patch no longer works and was crashing macOS.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Maple Ridge Thunderbolt 4 users -- especially those with UAD audio interfaces -- please see this post:

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
GTX 770
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Maple Ridge Thunderbolt 4 users -- especially those with UAD audio interfaces -- please see this post:

Bah.. .too late.. i returned my z590 :(

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z590I Vision D
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 5500 XT
After updating to the latest OpenCore 0.7.0 my native WiFi card BCM94360NG has stopped working. Device is present in the system but is off.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-07 at 23.52.42.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-07 at 23.52.42.png
    114.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Motherboard
Asus Rog B560-F Gaming
CPU
i7-11700K
Graphics
RX580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I tried reading the complete thread but too many pages. I just bought myself an Asus B560-F Gaming Wifi mobo and an i7 11700K cpu. Will I be able to install Big Sur on this. I currently have an Asus Z370-P i7 9700 which runs Big Sur and Monterey with no issues.