Contribute
Register

Z490 & Z590 - Will Z590 ever have macOS Support ?

@CaseySJ

The TB controller was hard to find at the back of the board.
After further inspection Gigabyte decided to put the Winbond Chip under the IO/Cover at the front of the board.
I also noticed there are 2 controller chips MXIC MX (Marked as 1) & Winbond (Marked as 2)
I tried to extract the firmware didn't succeed and after 5 attempts I stopped.
Maybe the clip can't make good contact because of the white audio connector on the board (See Photo)

Lets hope we can make a decent SSDT out of software:)

I tried your method to extract it from Linux.didn't succeed.

I asked @ori69 to share is EFI.
My USB Freezes when I'm at login screen.
I want to start from scratch but failed using the basic OC 0.6.7 :(

Attachments

• Chip 1.png
    Chip 1.png
    2 MB · Views: 112
  • Windbond Chip Close_1.png
    Windbond Chip Close_1.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 118
@CaseySJ

After further inspection Gigabyte decided to put the Winbond Chip under the IO/Cover at the front of the board.
I also noticed there are 2 controller chips MXIC MX (Marked as 1) & Winbond (Marked as 2)
Maybe the clip can't make good contact because of the white audio connector on the board (See Photo)

Please see the attached image.
  • Maple Ridge controller is the large chip on the right side: JHL8540. The controller itself is always on the front side, but the firmware chip is usually on the back side (not written in stone).
  • The Winbond Chip in the red box below may contain the firmware, but we should double check that no such chips are located on the back side in the vicinity of the JHL8540.
  • The Thunderbolt firmware chip is usually located in close proximity to the Thunderbolt controller, whether on the back or the front. This rules out the MXIC chip in your first photo.
  • When you attach the SOIC clip, are you lining up the little dot on flash ROM chip to Pin 1 of SOIC clip?
  • Is power fully turned off (i.e. power switch on PSU is flipped to OFF position)?
  • Which Flash ROM reader are you using? The 3.3V Arcelli (or one of its equivalents)?
  • That white audio connector, as you said, is in a very inconvenient location! I switch between the standard black SOIC8 clip and the more expensive Pomona 5250. The Pomona is smaller and can reach tighter spaces, but not by much.

Windbond Chip Close_1-2.png

Regarding the Linux method, what do you get when you type:
Bash:
ls /sys/bus/Thunderbolt/devices
Do you see any of these?
  • 0-0
  • 1-0
  • 2-0
If so, what do you get when you type the following (but replace 0-0 with the output from above)?
Bash:
/sys/bus/thunderbolt/devices/0-0/nvm_active0
If you don't see any Thunderbolt devices, maybe Linux treats Maple Ridge as USB4 and instantiates it under /sys/bus/usb or /sys/bus/usb4?

Last edited:
Please see the attached image.
  • Maple Ridge controller is the large chip on the right side: JHL8540. The controller itself is always on the front side, but the firmware chip is usually on the back side (not written in stone).
  • The Winbond Chip in the red box below may contain the firmware, but we should double check that no such chips are located on the back side in the vicinity of the JHL8540.
  • The Thunderbolt firmware chip is usually located in close proximity to the Thunderbolt controller, whether on the back or the front. This rules out the MXIC chip in your first photo.
  • When you attach the SOIC clip, are you lining up the little dot on flash ROM chip to Pin 1 of SOIC clip?
  • Is power fully turned off (i.e. power switch on PSU is flipped to OFF position)?
  • Which Flash ROM reader are you using? The 3.3V Arcelli (or one of its equivalents)?
  • That white audio connector, as you said, is in a very inconvenient location! I switch between the standard black SOIC8 clip and the more expensive Pomona 5250. The Pomona is smaller and can reach tighter spaces, but not by much.

View attachment 513499

Regarding the Linux method, what do you get when you type:
Bash:
ls /sys/bus/Thunderbolt/devices
Do you see any of these?
  • 0-0
  • 1-0
  • 2-0
If so, what do you get when you type the following (but replace 0-0 with the output from above)?
Bash:
/sys/bus/thunderbolt/devices/0-0/nvm_active0
If you don't see any Thunderbolt devices, maybe Linux treats Maple Ridge as USB4 and instantiates it under /sys/bus/usb or /sys/bus/usb4?

. 99% Sure there is no firmware chip at the back of the board (Attached a pick from the back)
Near the TB controller there are no 8 pins chips (Bottom with the silver plate there's the TB connection)
. I use the SOIC8 clip with Arceli USB-based CH341a programmer,Clip is right attached with dot chip on red from cable (I think the clip is too thick)
. I managed to boot in os with @ohchang EFI from his Z590-Vision G..
. however, it's better to start from scratch with this build.
. If I can get some help it will be great. :) Tell me what you need.

I try Linux extract.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Back Board Z590i.jpg
    Back Board Z590i.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 123
  • Clip attached.jpg
    Clip attached.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 114
Last edited:
. 99% Shure there is no firmware chip at the back of the board (Attached some Pics of the back)
. I use the SOIC8 clip with Arceli USB-based CH341a programmer (I think the clip is too thick)
. I managed to boot in os with @ohchang EFI from his Z590-Vision G..
. however it's better to start from scratch with this build.
. If I can get some help it will be great:) tell me what you need.

I try Linux extract.

Thanks.
The Z590 Vision G and Z590i from Gigabyte are very similar, so ochang's EFI is a good starting point. The USB map is the first thing to customize. It can be done by following this guide:
Once that's out of the way we can tackle any subsequent post-install issue. For example, if the Ethernet port is not working or HDMI audio is not working, etc. those can be addressed one by one later on.

At this time it's probably best to stay with the original Thunderbolt firmware. Hot plug should work with most devices once the Maple Ridge Thunderbolt SSDT is installed.

I'm still willing to experiment with activating Thunderbolt Bus via SSDT-TbtOnPCH, but this can wait until the system is fully configured.

The Z590 Vision G and Z590i from Gigabyte are very similar, so ochang's EFI is a good starting point. The USB map is the first thing to customize. It can be done by following this guide:
Once that's out of the way we can tackle any subsequent post-install issue. For example, if the Ethernet port is not working or HDMI audio is not working, etc. those can be addressed one by one later on.

At this time it's probably best to stay with the original Thunderbolt firmware. Hot plug should work with most devices once the Maple Ridge Thunderbolt SSDT is installed.

I'm still willing to experiment with activating Thunderbolt Bus via SSDT-TbtOnPCH, but this can wait until the system is fully configured.
Thank You.

-It seems Linux sees it as USB, check screenshot.

- Before boot Apollo & TB enclosure works! :cool:
- I tried your SSDT-TB3HP-JHL8540-MAPLE-RIDGE (No hot plug )

Tomorrow I start with USB configuration

Thanks

Attachments

• USB Output Linux.jpg
    USB Output Linux.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 106
  • TB Ioreg.png
    TB Ioreg.png
    78 KB · Views: 114
@ori69

Would you be so kind to share your EFI?
I'm having some problems with my Z590i vision D

I am posting my EFI directory.
USB mapping done.
Audio USB works.
audio.png

Thunderbolt now works every time, but is not detected in the profiler.

11.2.3tb4.png

It disappears after sleep and it is necessary to shut down the computer (do not restart). There is no hot-plug.
I stick my connection to IO.
Sleep don't work.

Attachments

• IORegistryExplorer Test’s Z590i Big Sur 3.ioreg
    10.3 MB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot 2021-03-28 at 13.16.08.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-28 at 13.16.08.png
    437.8 KB · Views: 57
  • z590iVisionD.zip
    6.3 MB · Views: 100
Last edited:
@CaseySJ

In my case, all Thunderbolt 3 controllers firmware (Asus an Gigabyte) was on Winbond 25Q80. It can be copied from the PCIe controller. It must be desoldered from the motherboard or additional voltage should be connected to one pin.

Attachments

• Winbond 25Q80.png
    Winbond 25Q80.png
    114.9 KB · Views: 61
I am posting my EFI directory.
USB mapping done.
Audio USB works.
View attachment 513553
Thunderbolt now works every time, but is not detected in the profiler.

View attachment 513554

It disappears after sleep and it is necessary to shut down the computer (do not restart). There is no hot-plug.
I stick my connection to IO.
Sleep don't work.

Thanks @ori69

I give this a try

In my case, all Thunderbolt 3 controllers firmware (Asus an Gigabyte) was on Winbond 25Q80. It can be copied from the PCIe controller. It must be desoldered from the motherboard or additional voltage should be connected to one pin.
So did you already modified your firmware?

Back