Contribute
Register

Z490 & Z590 - Will Z590 ever have macOS Support ?

Please ignore "System Information --> Thunderbolt" because Thunderbolt Bus is not activated. However, the "PCI" tab and IOReg both look good!

Have you tried to connect a Thunderbolt and/or USB-C device? Does it work?
USB-C works. Thunderbolt 3 no. I am installing Big Sur on the second partition, maybe it has some meaning.

USB-C works. Thunderbolt 3 no. I am installing Big Sur on the second partition, maybe it has some meaning.
Some Thunderbolt devices can be troublesome (in both Catalina and Big Sur). What is the make/model of your Thunderbolt device?

Some Thunderbolt devices can be troublesome (in both Catalina and Big Sur). What is the make/model of your Thunderbolt device?
Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter and Lacie SSD Thunderbolt 2. It always worked properly under Alpine Ridge and Titan Ridge.

Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter and Lacie SSD Thunderbolt 2. It always worked properly under Alpine Ridge and Titan Ridge.
@vipermachine,

What Thunderbolt devices do you own? Given the posts above by @ori69, we should try a broader set of Thunderbolt devices. We know that a UAD Apollo connects to Asus Z590 Maximus XIII using the same Thunderbolt controller and Thunderbolt SSDT as we're using on the Gigabyte Z590i Vision D, so I would be surprised if all Thunderbolt devices failed to connect.

@ori69,

What are your Thunderbolt BIOS settings? Is Thunderbolt Security set to No Security?

@vipermachine,

What Thunderbolt devices do you own? Given the posts above by @ori69, we should try a broader set of Thunderbolt devices. We know that a UAD Apollo connects to Asus Z590 Maximus XIII using the same Thunderbolt controller and Thunderbolt SSDT as we're using on the Gigabyte Z590i Vision D, so I would be surprised if all Thunderbolt devices failed to connect.

@ori69,

What are your Thunderbolt BIOS settings? Is Thunderbolt Security set to No Security?
Thunderbolt BIOS settings:

Attachments

• 210325055722p.png
    210325055722p.png
    531.8 KB · Views: 113
  • 210325055733p.png
    210325055733p.png
    549.1 KB · Views: 118
  • 210325055740p.png
    210325055740p.png
    535.9 KB · Views: 105
  • 210325055748p.png
    210325055748p.png
    515.4 KB · Views: 113
I installed Big Sur but it didn't change anything.

Attachments

• IORegistryExplorer Test’s Z590i Big Sur.ioreg
    10.3 MB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot 2021-03-24 at 22.49.38.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-24 at 22.49.38.png
    182.7 KB · Views: 356
  • Screenshot 2021-03-24 at 22.49.51.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-24 at 22.49.51.png
    144.2 KB · Views: 65
@vipermachine,

@ori69,

Hey Guys

UAD Apollo twin mk2
Sabrent TB enclosure with 2 tb nvme

@CaseySJ

-Do you want me to extract the original TB firmware?

I start tomorrow

Hey Guys

UAD Apollo twin mk2
Sabrent TB enclosure with 2 tb nvme

@CaseySJ

-Do you want me to extract the original TB firmware?

I start tomorrow
Yes please extract the original firmware, but proceed very carefully. We'll first test Thunderbolt connectivity with the original firmware.

I'm also very interested in the different options under Thunderbolt OS Select. We should try each of the options under there.

210325055733p.png

I installed Big Sur but it didn't change anything.
As expected.

However, I see that "System Information --> Thunderbolt" actually says "No hardware was found" instead of "No drivers are loaded". Ouch, this is not good.

May need to change BIOS parameters, particularly "Thunderbolt OS Select", to see that makes any difference. We want to see No drivers are loaded.

As expected.

However, I see that "System Information --> Thunderbolt" actually says "No hardware was found" instead of "No drivers are loaded". Ouch, this is not good.

May need to change BIOS parameters, particularly "Thunderbolt OS Select", to see that makes any difference. We want to see No drivers are loaded.
Didn't askinner97 get the same result "No hardware was found"? I don't think he gave a screenshot of the Thunderbolt tab in System Information.app but it may be likely since macOS doesn't have a driver for USB4. It can't know that the USB4 controller is Thunderbolt/USB4.

Back