Contribute
Register

Z490 & Z590 - Will Z590 ever have macOS Support ?

Sounds like this is unique to 500 chipset and Asus add in card. Is there any work on GC-Maple Ridge? I have one in my possession and I'd like to add it to my z390 MB if possible. Would like to have working thunderbolt bus!:)
To be fair, Thunderbolt Bus is loading but is not functional.

Works terrific however in ICM mode! Even returns from sleep if you load NHI driver in terminal.

Sounds like this is unique to 500 chipset and Asus add in card. Is there any work on GC-Maple Ridge? I have one in my possession and I'd like to add it to my z390 MB if possible. Would like to have working thunderbolt bus!:)
You can have a working Thunderbolt bus today with a flashed CG-TitanRidge in your Z390 motherboard. Thunderbolt 4 is Thunderbolt 3 with all options on; same maximum performance (40 Gb/s).

@CaseySJ @Elias64Fr Any new thoughts on the Asus ProArt X570-CREATOR Thunderbolt hot-swap?
Hi @InsomnIaHackintosh

If I understand HotPlug feature, PowerDelivery component delivers triggering events to Thunderbolt device. On Titan Ridge case, PD component is same as realMac (TPS65983) and it can be driven by macOS drivers.
On Maple Ridge, PD component is a Cypress component (CYPD5225-96BZXI) unknown by drivers. I'm afraid that it couldn't properly work.

@gandem @NorthAmTransAm

Have you tried dumping Thunderbolt firmware from Flash component with CH341 programmer (or Rpi) ?

Hello to everyone ! I own the Gigabyte Z490 with CPU i7 10700K and my build works flawlessly ! I was thinking to update to CPU 11900K for the sole purpose of PCIe 4.0 ! After reading out on Gigabyte's Website I saw that Z490 supports PCIe 4.0 but I cant find any info regarding PCIe 4.0 support on EVERY PCIe Slot. They state that Slot 1 near the CPU is a PCIe 4.0 x 16 Slot ! Can someone let me know if PCIe Slot 2 runs at PCIe 4.0 x 8 ? Or PCIe 3.0 x 8 ? I need that information because I plan to buy This and I wanna make sure that WHILE I use Slot 1 For the GPU, I will be able to insert this RAID Card into slot 2 and Get PCIe 4.0 x 8 because the CPU lanes are not enough to use ALL 4 NVME SSD's on this RAID Card. So my plan is to use ONLY m2_1 and m2_2 slots in this RAID Card with 2 NVME PCIe 4.0 SSD's. But before proceeding I need to make sure that the Slot 2 will run at PCIe 4.0 x 8 ! Anyone tried this setup ? Thank you so much for your valuable help !

This is not a "RAID" card, just an adapter which relies on PCIe bifurcation from the motherboard. To do what you want, the motherboard would have to support x4/x4 bifurcation in slot 2 (and x8/x4/x4 from the CPU, between slots 1 and 2). So the answer is in the motherboard manual, and the block diagram on page 7 suggests it can't but only does x8/x8.
If you need at least 8 lanes of PCIe storage on the CPU, consider looking into X299/C422, such as the Asus SAGE/10G motherboards mentioned here. If these lanes have to be PCIe 4.0, though, you're out of luck for now.

Edit. x8/x4/x4 supported in BIOS. See #874.

Last edited:
Hello to everyone ! I own the Gigabyte Z490 with CPU i7 10700K and my build works flawlessly ! I was thinking to update to CPU 11900K for the sole purpose of PCIe 4.0 ! After reading out on Gigabyte's Website I saw that Z490 supports PCIe 4.0 but I cant find any info regarding PCIe 4.0 support on EVERY PCIe Slot. They state that Slot 1 near the CPU is a PCIe 4.0 x 16 Slot ! Can someone let me know if PCIe Slot 2 runs at PCIe 4.0 x 8 ? Or PCIe 3.0 x 8 ? I need that information because I plan to buy This and I wanna make sure that WHILE I use Slot 1 For the GPU, I will be able to insert this RAID Card into slot 2 and Get PCIe 4.0 x 8 because the CPU lanes are not enough to use ALL 4 NVME SSD's on this RAID Card. So my plan is to use ONLY m2_1 and m2_2 slots in this RAID Card with 2 NVME PCIe 4.0 SSD's. But before proceeding I need to make sure that the Slot 2 will run at PCIe 4.0 x 8 ! Anyone tried this setup ? Thank you so much for your valuable help !
Yes you will get PCIe 4.0 x8/x8 on Slots 1 and 2.

However, what I’m unsure of is this: Nevermind: The RX 5700XT is a PCIe 4.0 device.
  • Because your GPU is PCIe 3.0, it will operate at PCIe 3.0 speed with 8 lanes.
  • Because your NVMe expansion card is PCIe 4.0, will it operate at PCIe 3 or 4 speeds when lanes are split between the two slots?

BEB17EF6-9C59-4B29-8EB3-8727DEE1DA92.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi @InsomnIaHackintosh

If I understand HotPlug feature, PowerDelivery component delivers triggering events to Thunderbolt device. On Titan Ridge case, PD component is same as realMac (TPS65983) and it can be driven by macOS drivers.
On Maple Ridge, PD component is a Cypress component (CYPD5225-96BZXI) unknown by drivers. I'm afraid that it couldn't properly work.
I think TB4 hotplug works (in macOS) on Z590 Asus Hero 13 and MSI Z590 Ace and MSI Z590i Unify... so hotplugging might also be dependent on the BIOS/ACPI implementation.

E.g.,
This person purported to demonstrate working TB4 hotplug in macOS using an MSI Z590i Unify motherboard.

Yes you will get PCIe 4.0 x8/x8 on Slots 1 and 2.

However, what I’m unsure of is this:
  • Because your GPU is PCIe 3.0, it will operate at PCIe 3.0 speed with 8 lanes.
  • Because your NVMe expansion card is PCIe 4.0, will it operate at PCIe 3 or 4 speeds when lanes are split between the two slots?

View attachment 533317
Thank you so much for your answer CaseySJ ! My GPU is the AMD 5700XT and as far as I know it was the first card from AMD with PCIe 4.0 support ! So I assume that when I update to 11900K it will work as PCIe 4.0 ! So if we assume that it will work as PCIe 4.0, can we be sure that I will get a PCIe 4.0 x8 on Slots 1 and 2 as you stated ?

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your answer CaseySJ ! My GPU is the AMD 5700XT and as far as I know it was the first card from AMD with PCIe 4.0 support ! So I assume that when I update to 11900K it will work as PCIe 4.0 ! So if we assume that it will work as PCIe 4.0, can we be sure that I will get a PCIe 4.0 x8 on Slots 1 and 2 as you stated ?
Yes you're quite right, the RX 5700XT is a PCIe 4.0 device!

Back