Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asrock Z87 K1ller
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
R9 380
My Intel 10900KF is on the way but Z490 Vision-G is out of stock .
I need recommendation for alternative motherboard that is bullet proof and least hassle . .
Main OS is Mac OS X Mojave 10.14.6

Least hassle with Mojave would actually be the previous Z390 generation with 9th generation Coffee Lake Refresh: Natively supported in Mojave.
With 10th generation, you have to spoof the CPU to Coffee Lake—and iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS for your headless setup, which seems to be a pity because the iGPU in a "non-F" CPU would be at least as good as the old R9 dGPU.

Any option to send back the i9-10900KF and go for an i9-9900K?

Second to that, any Z490 board with a well documented build, including adjustments for Mojave.
You have not indicated any specific hardware requirement, or reason for selecting the Z490 Vision G in the first place (replicating a Golden Build?), so it would be difficult to provide personalised advice.
As noted in the other thread, the Gigabyte W480 Vision D is still available at retail (at least in Europe), but you may not need Thunderbolt and there's no guarantee that this board is a hassle-free "drop-in" replacement for the Z490 Vision D until someone does try.

Thanks Etorix for your reply!

10900K is not available at the moment :(
I understand the potential of 10th series iGPU(one day should upgrade to 4K monitors with higher refresh rates)
10th generation seems to be much better optimized for overclocking .It has higher core count also compared to the 9th series.
9900K is also more expensive here and I didn't want to go with 12700K + Z690 because of Mojave .. .(32 bit Powercore and other plugins etc.)
I would also take 10850K but it's also unobtainable .
Yeah, I have tried to replicate Golden build but I'm somehow familiar with step by step open core dortania setup .
10900KF+ R9 380 4GB Polaris that I'm already using now is fine by me if it ain't affecting general performance (as you said I have to use iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS. - does it affect for example overclocking ? )
How is your experience with Asus Boards - I'm looking at Z490 Proart Creator 10G or Prime Z490-a?
I'm not going to use onboard audio- I have Apogee Duet 2.

10900K is not available at the moment :(
9900K is also more expensive here
I also checked prices and availability of Z390/C246 motherboards. Ouch! :(
and I didn't want to go with 12700K + Z690 because of Mojave .. .(32 bit Powercore and other plugins etc.)
There are a few reports of running Mojave on Alder Lake, so it does work but there would be little support for Mojave-specific issues.

(as you said I have to use iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS. - does it affect for example overclocking ? )
I never even consider overclocking, but SMBIOS should not be relevant.

How is your experience with Asus Boards - I'm looking at Z490 Proart Creator 10G or Prime Z490-a?
I have very little personal experience with Asus but there's a User Build for the ProArt and a Golden Build for the Prime-A.

You can still find used/refurb Z490 Vision D or Vision G on eBay, for example. Just check for a few weeks and also do some Google searches to cover other stores and platforms. This is how I got my Vision D last year and I have been extremely happy with this build. Running flawlessly in my music studio using Big Sur.

There’s brand new Z490 Aorus Master boards still available on Amazon that’s selling for $259.95.
They should work too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back