Contribute
Register

Z390 anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ASUS PRIME Z370-A motherboard is compatible with the new i9-9900K processor (after a BIOS update), but it is NOT compatible with the new i7-9700K processor.

I don't see a reason why a CPU with the same TDP and clock speed should be a problem on the same motherboard. Maybe they just haven't tested one with the new BIOS yet. This is the 4TH year Intel is still on the 14nm process node for these CPUs, they are yet another refresh so why the lack of support in the new BIOS ?

Screen Shot 2018-10-18 at 5.40.11 PM.png

Last edited:
I took a peek at the Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5 z370 board, and they do have the three 9th gen cpu's on their list of compatibility. Maybe Asus just haven't finished updating their site info yet?

Damn, resellers/manufacturers are not making this easy... So Newegg Canada have their Asrock boards on sale (with rebates until Nov 8). The currently supported Asrock Z370 Pro4 is on sale for $152.99 and has a $40 rebate! However... They have the latest Asrock Z390 Pro4 on sale for $189.99 and has a $30 rebate. Sigh... Really didn't think I would be tempted to make a purchase before November, but I have to admit...they're both really attractive offers. Whether I can get a hackintosh up and running now versus a 2-3 months down the road isn't a big deal, I mean, I've gone this long without one. Both boards show support for all three of the latest 9th gen cpu's.

I've seen a few benchmarks on the 9th gen stuff...and so far, I mean, they do look better than the previous generation, but not exactly by leaps and bounds, especially at the prices they're asking for.

Damn, resellers/manufacturers are not making this easy... So Newegg Canada have their Asrock boards on sale (with rebates until Nov 8). The currently supported Asrock Z370 Pro4 is on sale for $152.99 and has a $40 rebate! However... They have the latest Asrock Z390 Pro4 on sale for $189.99 and has a $30 rebate. Sigh... Really didn't think I would be tempted to make a purchase before November, but I have to admit...they're both really attractive offers. Whether I can get a hackintosh up and running now versus a 2-3 months down the road isn't a big deal, I mean, I've gone this long without one. Both boards show support for all three of the latest 9th gen cpu's.

I've seen a few benchmarks on the 9th gen stuff...and so far, I mean, they do look better than the previous generation, but not exactly by leaps and bounds, especially at the prices they're asking for.

I read some reviews and watched some YouTube videos about the new i9-9900K and was disappointed to find that despite the soldered TIM, the CPU still runs quite hot.

From what I gather, the power consumption and heat will greatly limit its overclocking unless users employ pretty exotic cooling techniques.

I read some reviews and watched some YouTube videos about the new i9-9900K and was disappointed to find that despite the soldered TIM, the CPU still runs quite hot.

From what I gather, the power consumption and heat will greatly limit its overclocking unless users employ pretty exotic cooling techniques.

We need an LN2 Hackintosh!

We need an LN2 Hackintosh!

Lol. :lol:

On one of the videos I watched, they ended up delidding and lapping the new CPU despite the soldered TIM to achieve decent cooling. It will be interesting to see how popular this technique becomes among enthusiasts.

Lol. :lol:

On one of the videos I watched, they ended up delidding and lapping the new CPU despite the soldered TIM to achieve decent cooling. It will be interesting to see how popular this technique becomes among enthusiasts.

Not only the new soldering is inferior than liquid metal, but the IHS is thicker (at disadvantage of cooling performances) :lol:

Did someone there tried macOS with the new Z390? I just bought an ASUS Z390-A to replace my old Gigabyte Z370XP SLI, but I'll keep my 8700K (that I'm considering to delid). Unfortunately manufacturers are making even less motherboards in black/white :rolleyes:

Not only the new soldering is inferior than liquid metal, but the IHS is thicker (at disadvantage of cooling performances) :lol:

Did someone there tried macOS with the new Z390? I just bought an ASUS Z390-A to replace my old Gigabyte Z370XP SLI, but I'll keep my 8700K (that I'm considering to delid). Unfortunately manufacturers are making even less motherboards in black/white :rolleyes:

There are a few who are trying. Most things seem to work. There are still a few issues, but I'm confident that they will eventually be sorted out.

The main point that would prevent me from buying an i9-9900K vs. an i7-8700k is the value part of the equation. You'll be paying 200 dollars more for two extra cores and two more threads and not getting 200 dollars more worth of performance. So even if you already own the 8700K, the upgrade doesn't look like a very good idea. You can always sell your used i7-8700K but you'll take a loss on that. This is just Intel's way of trying to "one up" AMD for the highest performing gaming CPU crown. It just wouldn't be worth the extra cost for me to buy one. I would be happy gaming with most any older Intel Core i5 chip, Sandy Bridge or newer, for a fraction of the cost. Paying $580 for your CPU takes away from what you could spend on graphics. Everyone knows that the graphics card is the most important part to spend money on for a gaming system.

Screen Shot.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back