Contribute
Register

Z390 anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everyone, good food for thought. I am eager to get as much performance as possible for future-proofing, but I suppose any new system might not hold up as long as my current one from 2012 for a variety of reasons. Maybe best to go with 8700K now and consider another upgrade in a couple years.

If you can afford it, get an 8086K (slightly better than the 8700K, still 6 cores), delid it (or have someone do it) relid it with liquid metal, and enjoy.......

If you can afford it, get an 8086K (slightly better than the 8700K, still 6 cores), delid it (or have someone do it) relid it with liquid metal, and enjoy.......

I had thought about that, actually, but current prices strongly favor the 8700K. Will observe the market for a while. Pretty much set on delidding either of them, seems not too hard to do.

I had thought about that, actually, but current prices strongly favor the 8700K. Will observe the market for a while. Pretty much set on delidding either of them, seems not too hard to do.

Well, delidding a 9900k and removing the solder can be challenging....if you're thinking about delidding a 8700K or 8086K, everyone I've talked to says removing the paste is a lot easier......

Hey, i just built one. Its a z390 ultra with a 9700k. worked easy. I was able to take my old drive with sierra on it and plug it in. It wouldent boot on its own but it did with a mojave install usb. after that i just swaped the efi's and bang, up and running. had to mess with ssdt and audio for a bit but its up without any real trouble. Ive read a bunch of people doing fresh installs with hs and mojave so im positive it will work for you. although, im a little dissapointed overall... i had a 4790k that had been golden for a long time, never had problems and she blazed. for the money and features, this is a little less performance than i was hoping for. getting about 1600 in cinebench. it runs a couple degrees cooler at idle but as soon as you run cinebench at 5ghz, its up in the 90's. (i have a water cooler) i could oc my 4790k to 4.8 and it wouldn't get that hot, maybe just hit low 70s. and my 4790 score was 900's. so i was kind of expecting at least double with the 9700k.. overall the z390 board is really nice to look at and has nvme and thunderbolt ability my old board lacked. once it get it golden ill put the efi and ssdt's up for anyone who needs them. still working on sleep issues and at the moment and using voodoohda for sound. kindof wish i went with a 7700k and saved some $$ or waited another year or so to see whats coming down the line because the 4790 was still perfect....good luck!

Hey, i just built one. Its a z390 ultra with a 9700k. worked easy. I was able to take my old drive with sierra on it and plug it in. It wouldent boot on its own but it did with a mojave install usb. after that i just swaped the efi's and bang, up and running. had to mess with ssdt and audio for a bit but its up without any real trouble. Ive read a bunch of people doing fresh installs with hs and mojave so im positive it will work for you. although, im a little dissapointed overall... i had a 4790k that had been golden for a long time, never had problems and she blazed. for the money and features, this is a little less performance than i was hoping for. getting about 1600 in cinebench. it runs a couple degrees cooler at idle but as soon as you run cinebench at 5ghz, its up in the 90's. (i have a water cooler) i could oc my 4790k to 4.8 and it wouldn't get that hot, maybe just hit low 70s. and my 4790 score was 900's. so i was kind of expecting at least double with the 9700k.. overall the z390 board is really nice to look at and has nvme and thunderbolt ability my old board lacked. once it get it golden ill put the efi and ssdt's up for anyone who needs them. still working on sleep issues and at the moment and using voodoohda for sound. kindof wish i went with a 7700k and saved some $$ or waited another year or so to see whats coming down the line because the 4790 was still perfect....good luck!

hi ac9001 , I have to swap my z270 and 7700k with z390 and 9700k, but I would like to keep Sierra! you know if is possible? you managed to boot your old drive without formatting on Mojave ? will it be possible to boot with Sierra?, I still have the usb I used to boot the installer first time... do I have to modify the efi?

hi ac9001 , I have to swap my z270 and 7700k with z390 and 9700k, but I would like to keep Sierra! you know if is possible? you managed to boot your old drive without formatting on Mojave ? will it be possible to boot with Sierra?, I still have the usb I used to boot the installer first time... do I have to modify the efi?

Hey, sorry i just saw this. Yea it will work with sierra. You will have to modify your efi, most important to get it to boot being slide=0 with the z390. other than that i think it should be pretty easy. good luck

I have trouble with install high sierra on my pc, i9 z390. Its keep looping installation screen. Please advise?
You need to install Mojave as High Sierra doesn't support Z390 chipset motherboards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back