Contribute
Register

Z390 anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering if anyone has attempted to go for the z390 series boards yet?

I have my computer case, cpu cooler, ram, drives, thermal compound already in hand. My plan was waiting for sometime closer to November for black friday to see what deals will be for the cpu/motherboard.

I have noticed some consistency in the buyer guides... For example, current generation has the Asus Prime z370-p, the previous generation had the Prime z270-p board. Just now I spotted on Newegg.ca, I could go for a Prime z370-p for $140 or go for the now released Prime z390-p instead at only about 49 bucks more. So at the moment that is where I'm leaning, but I've still got a few weeks and hopefully, maybe spot a few posters sharing their z390 experiences early on.

CPU wise I'll probably just shoot for the i3-8100 for the time being as a placeholder until the i5-9600K is ready down the road (or if I have saved enough money, the i7-9700K...just don't see myself putting down the money for the i9).

I don't know of anyone who's built a Hackintosh with this motherboard, but just noticed it on sale for a very good price. Don't know if the price is also in Canada, but you might want to check out the EVGA Z370 Classified-K for $160 from www.evga.com

Im totally on the fence now, too. Thought about getting a 370 motherboard + intel 8700, will probably wait until the release next week to see how the benchmarks work out.

I just learned that the ASUS PRIME Z370-A motherboard is compatible with the new i9-9900K processor (after a BIOS update), but it is NOT compatible with the new i7-9700K processor. The Z390 is compatible with both.

I, too, was waiting for the new announcement before building a new Hackintosh. I may end up getting the PRIME Z370-A MB (I want Thunderbolt) with the i7-8700K since it's tried and true, and worry about the latest-and-greatest on my next build.

Things don't move fast enough sometimes...

I just learned that the ASUS PRIME Z370-A motherboard is compatible with the new i9-9900K processor (after a BIOS update), but it is NOT compatible with the new i7-9700K processor. The Z390 is compatible with both.

Where did you find that information? Weird that the 9900k would work but the 9700k not?

P.S. Did you see that they launched a newer version, the PRIME - Z370 A II

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/PRIME-Z370-A-II/

However the newer 9th Gen CPUs are not (yet) listed in the cpu compatible list.

Where did you find that information?
I read an article this morning that the i9-9900K is supported, and verified it on their support website: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-Z370-A/HelpDesk_CPU/

When I didn't see the i7-9700K on the list, I chatted with support to verify. The support guy, Jeffrey, confirmed with a vague answer.

Weird that the 9900k would work but the 9700k not?

Super weird.

P.S. Did you see that they launched a newer version, the PRIME - Z370 A II

I had not seen that. Thanks for letting me know. It looks like neither the new i9 or new i7 are compatible yet. Maybe they'll release a firmware upgrade soon to make it possible.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-Z370-A-II/HelpDesk_CPU/

Anxiously awaiting tomorrow... I believe that is when the benchmarks for the new cpu's are supposed to be available as they've been embargoed until then. Curious to see the comparison between the i7-9700k vs the i7-8700k (8 cores/8 threads vs 6 cores/12 threads)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back