Contribute
Register

Z390 and Thunderbolt 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you're saying everything I've posted is correct then? The bandwidth I posted are different for the DisplayPorts on each card. The fact that on Alpine Ridge you can only do 4K @ 60Hz and with Titan Ridge you can do 8K @ 60Hz? I don't see why you're arguing that all I've posted is correct, but I guess we can agree on that?

I am not arguing just stating facts about the cards, the only thing I ever said to you was; If you are concerned about video then yes there is a huge difference with the cards, because the TR turns a 1.2 DP from your dGPU into 1.4 DP. If you are concerned with general Thunderbolt connectivity then there is no difference.

Just be clear both cards have bandwidth of 40Gb per channel not the other numbers you posted. However, Display-port of any version is only able to take advantage of 21.6 Gbps vs. 32.4 Gbps respectively. Basically if you do not need to drive 8K monitors there is not a lot of justification for the Titan ridge when you can get the Alpine for about 50% of the cost.

Also I read somewhere that you have to use the dGPU DP with Titan ridge but you can use iGPU DP from your Mother board with the Alpine. It is possible that I miss interpreted that information or I am remembering it incorrectly.

We have Prime Z390-A and Titan Ridge. Any advice on BIOS settings? Is default OK?

God, why have Intel and Apple mad this so frigging hard. All I want to know is if I buy a Z390 board can I plug a thunderbolt display into it.

Does anybody know of a mAtx with Tb3 onboard or with a possible add-in card, that has been used succesfully?
I was looking at the GB z390 m gaming, but all I find on this in the forum are unsolved problems. So any other ideas?

God, why have Intel and Apple mad this so frigging hard. All I want to know is if I buy a Z390 board can I plug a thunderbolt display into it.
I know it's been a while, but here's the answer to your question:
GIGABYTE Z390 DESIGNARE LGA 1151 Board
ASUS AREZ Strix Radeon RX 580 AREZ-STRIX-RX580-O8G-GAMING 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready Video Card

1) There is a golden build using this motherboard.
2) The video card has 2 dp 1.4 connectors on it.
3) You connect the included dp jumper fable from the video card to the INPUT on the motherboard (next to the external connections for firewire, usb, etc. You still have other connectors available.
4) You get Full Thunderbolt/USB-C functionality - video and everything else - plug it in to a monitor.

So, if i neither plan to use Thunderbolt nor Nvidia SLI I can stick to the GA-Z390-UD or -Gaming X, right?

Or are there any other advantages in using the more expensive ones?

For
Yeah but the Gaming SLI + Titan Ridge comes to about the same as a Designare. So what would be the point? In what way is Gaming SLI better in your opinion than Designare? And wouldn't it be better to have thunderbolt natively on the mobo like on Designare? Genuinely interested if I have missed something here?
and
I know it's been a while, but here's the answer to your question:
GIGABYTE Z390 DESIGNARE LGA 1151 Board
ASUS AREZ Strix Radeon RX 580 AREZ-STRIX-RX580-O8G-GAMING 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready Video Card

1) There is a golden build using this motherboard.
2) The video card has 2 dp 1.4 connectors on it.
3) You connect the included dp jumper fable from the video card to the INPUT on the motherboard (next to the external connections for firewire, usb, etc. You still have other connectors available.
4) You get Full Thunderbolt/USB-C functionality - video and everything else - plug it in to a monitor.

Z390 Designare uses PCH, not CPU. Therefore, is NOT the best solution for Thunderbolt 3, specially eGPU. No one seems to care one about it, and I already said here...

I keep saying, IMHO, the combo Z390 Gaming SLI + Titan Ridge is the best solution.

Last edited:
Anyone try the Asus WS Z390 Pro and the Gigabyte Titan-Ridge card together to see if they'll work together?

Z390 Designare uses PCH, not CPU. Therefore, is NOT the best solution for Thunderbolt 3, specially eGPU. No one seems to care one about it, and I already said here...

Hi, would you kindly explain what you mean by that? I was looking at the Designare. I tried to research what PCH means... help a brotha out :)

Hi, would you kindly explain what you mean by that? I was looking at the Designare. I tried to research what PCH means... help a brotha out :)

I think what they meant to say was that on the Designare board "TB3" is connected to the CPU via PCH "Platform Control Hub" lanes rather then PCI-E Lanes. So it is slightly slower then if it was connected via PCI-E lanes and it might have to wait in line if something else is using the PCH bus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back