Contribute
Register

Z390 and Thunderbolt 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think what they meant to say was that on the Designare board "TB3" is connected to the CPU via PCH "Platform Control Hub" lanes rather then PCI-E Lanes. So it is slightly slower then if it was connected via PCI-E lanes and it might have to wait in line if something else is using the PCH bus.

Hi, thanks! Is that common practice, or an anomaly among Intel boards with TB3? The whole reason I want a board with TB3 is to use a TB audio interface. Audio recording/mixing is my primary use for my machine and I cannot make any compromises with the quality of the audio connection. Would this PCH dilemma be a problem, you think? On all the product listings for the Designare, it says "Full-Spec Thunderbolt 3"... not sure what "Full-Spec" would mean if there some issue. Thanks again.

Hi, thanks! Is that common practice, or an anomaly among Intel boards with TB3? The whole reason I want a board with TB3 is to use a TB audio interface. Audio recording/mixing is my primary use for my machine and I cannot make any compromises with the quality of the audio connection. Would this PCH dilemma be a problem, you think? On all the product listings for the Designare, it says "Full-Spec Thunderbolt 3"... not sure what "Full-Spec" would mean if there some issue. Thanks again.

The difference is the route in which it takes to the CPU. I am not a 100% but on an iMac I pretty sure that the TB3 goes threw the PCH and that is likely why Designare board is one of the easier routes to get hot plug. I was never able to get the Titan Ridge to work with Hotplug personally. The reality is I doubt it will cause any issues with your Audio recording/mixing

What DAW interface are you wanting to connect via TB3?

What DAW interface are you wanting to connect via TB3?

I am using Ableton Live, and am considering an RME UFX+ TB3 interface. I've been using USB 2.0 interfaces for years, and I am ready for a huge home studio upgrade. I mostly track guitars, so zero (or near-zero) latency is essential.

I am using Ableton Live, and am considering an RME UFX+ TB3 interface. I've been using USB 2.0 interfaces for years, and I am ready for a huge home studio upgrade. I mostly track guitars, so zero (or near-zero) latency is essential.

Being a guitarist myself, I totally get it. Poke around the various forums here and you'll find a lot of RME users, so definitely dig in there and you'll find someone who has the same setup goal. FWIW, as an Apollo 8/TB2 user, I've never been able to get the Apollo's power on/off/on/off/on "hotswap" to work -as it works in Windows or a real Mac. It may have to do with a thing called Thunderbolt Node, but it's not clear except that it doesn't work the same. It will help your progress to not sacrifice an inordinate amount of time on this. If you can live with powering up you device before booting your system, it just may save your sanity. LMK if you need help, though I'm still on Z370 system with UAD, Pro Tools, and VEP...

Being a guitarist myself, I totally get it. Poke around the various forums here and you'll find a lot of RME users, so definitely dig in there and you'll find someone who has the same setup goal. FWIW, as an Apollo 8/TB2 user, I've never been able to get the Apollo's power on/off/on/off/on "hotswap" to work -as it works in Windows or a real Mac. It may have to do with a thing called Thunderbolt Node, but it's not clear except that it doesn't work the same. It will help your progress to not sacrifice an inordinate amount of time on this. If you can live with powering up you device before booting your system, it just may save your sanity. LMK if you need help, though I'm still on Z370 system with UAD, Pro Tools, and VEP...

Hi Jiffyslot, I wanted to know if you had latency with Apollo and Hackintosh ...
I'm about to buy an apollo twin x4 with a titan ridge pcie to connect it to my MB aorus pro wifi z390... Any suggestion?

Hi Jiffyslot, I wanted to know if you had latency with Apollo and Hackintosh ...
I'm about to buy an apollo twin x4 with a titan ridge pcie to connect it to my MB aorus pro wifi z390... Any suggestion?

Have you already bought into the UAD ecosystem? What's your DAW setup?

The Twin x4 isn't very expensive for what it is, so it should work fine, and the included plugins are killer.

But it's a complex question that requires some considerations:

When tracking with the Apollo 8 Quad (TB2) with Pro Tools or Logic (I almost never use Logic) I only run plugins from the UAD Console app. I don't run plugins in Pro Tools or Logic during tracking. All "comfort effects" are on Aux or Virtual busses on the UAD.

The only problems that seem to recur with the latest few months of Mojave is an occasional, gradual deterioration of the clock or the sample rate that necessitates a restart. IDK if this is a Pro Tools problem or a UAD driver problem or something else.

As much as I love the sound of UAD gear, if I were purchasing again, I'd avoid all things Thunderbolt. If you can find a USB 3 or USB C interface that gives you a real-world i/o latency of less than 3ms at 48 KHz using a buffer of 128 samples, I'd go for it.

Most manufacturers "cheat the spec" by using high sample rates for measuring round-trip latency.
It'd be interesting to have an extra machine to have a shootout between the new SSL, Steinberg, and UAD interfaces.

I wish I'd had more time to demo the UAD plugins, because I would have pared-down the ones I bought from a dozen to about 3 that don't already come with the UAD unit. LMK what you think.

Have you already bought into the UAD ecosystem? What's your DAW setup?

The Twin x4 isn't very expensive for what it is, so it should work fine, and the included plugins are killer.

But it's a complex question that requires some considerations:

When tracking with the Apollo 8 Quad (TB2) with Pro Tools or Logic (I almost never use Logic) I only run plugins from the UAD Console app. I don't run plugins in Pro Tools or Logic during tracking. All "comfort effects" are on Aux or Virtual busses on the UAD.

The only problems that seem to recur with the latest few months of Mojave is an occasional, gradual deterioration of the clock or the sample rate that necessitates a restart. IDK if this is a Pro Tools problem or a UAD driver problem or something else.

As much as I love the sound of UAD gear, if I were purchasing again, I'd avoid all things Thunderbolt. If you can find a USB 3 or USB C interface that gives you a real-world i/o latency of less than 3ms at 48 KHz using a buffer of 128 samples, I'd go for it.

Most manufacturers "cheat the spec" by using high sample rates for measuring round-trip latency.
It'd be interesting to have an extra machine to have a shootout between the new SSL, Steinberg, and UAD interfaces.

I wish I'd had more time to demo the UAD plugins, because I would have pared-down the ones I bought from a dozen to about 3 that don't already come with the UAD unit. LMK what you think.

Hey Thanks for your answer. My English is half bad, I am Argentine!

Of course, I do not intend to monitor with zero latency from pro tools. I mean 100% working the same as on a real mac!
The apollo twin x4 is very tempting, it would be the first apollo interface it would have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back