Contribute
Register

Z170X-UD5 TH + i7 6700K + 64gb El Capitan (OC Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z170X-UD5 TH
CPU
i7 6700K
Graphics
EVGA GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Hello everyone!
I'd like to thank the entire team and TonyMac and all of you for the constant support in this community. I am on my third build, and it seems I am having a problem with overclocking.
I have looked on the forums and the big list of issues and everything I throw at El Capitan seems to make me take a step back.

It says it in the title, but here is what I am working with.
COMPONENTS
Z170X-UD5 TH F5
i7 6700K
EVGA GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0
64gb 2400Mhz DDR4 Crucial Ballistix Sport
Samsung 850 EVO 500gb SSD
Multiple HHD (Media Drives)
Corsair H115i
Corsair RM650X

I have gotten beautiful help from Jerivalu's Build guide on some issues, but my current headache seems to be Overclocking the Skylake and DDR4.

First off, in the BIOS, it won't let me use profile 1 for XMP for memory. It literally does nothing. The only way to get the Ram up from 1866 is to manually crank it to 24. It's great, because when I boot into BIOS it shows running at 2400Mhz, but then when I load OSX 10.11.5 it seems to change to 32GB at 3200. I have gone into the config, enabled XMP, Reinstalled POST with multibeast, and clover config. No matter what I tweaked from the forums, it won't change. Maybe I am missing something.

Second off, I OC the mobo 80% and get it to 4.6 as well as turning up the voltage. reboot and it runs fine in BIOS. as soon as I get to OSX, it's either at the out of the box 4.0 or 1.99!!!! Yeah, 1.99!!!!!!

Little frustration since I migrated over to this machine for work. I am leaving it at what it is in the pictures, because it is still amazing, but I want to be able to finish this problem so other's can enjoy the hassle free.

Thanks!

SOLVED
Make sure you have the most CURRENT CLOVER BOOT LOADER!
It will fix the RAM (Or it did for me)

OC works as well with IPG (Intel Power Gadget)

Last edited:
No, it seems to be fine. I am running it though the fan router on that back of the H440 . All 4 case fans plus my h115i are running and fine. I think the average is 1430 via OPT. I don't exceed high temps, unless pumping voltage.

UPDATE: I did get the OSX to recognize the 64 gb Ram at 2400 Mhz. Still have problems with the CPU. I went to the OC page and ran it, seems to be Turbo at 4.6 and base at 4.0 Did the Non-SSD and SSDT, still can't get OSX to recognize the OC that my BIOS is showing.

UPDATE: I did get the OSX to recognize the 64 gb Ram at 2400 Mhz. Still have problems with the CPU. I went to the OC page and ran it, seems to be Turbo at 4.6 and base at 4.0 Did the Non-SSD and SSDT, still can't get OSX to recognize the OC that my BIOS is showing.

I have a similar setup and the same Ram. My OSX also only recognizes 32GB at 3200. How did you manage it?

I don't know if this will affect anything but have you tried changing the SMBIOS?

I would suggest the iMac17,1 as i believe this iMac model is Skylake enabled.

I understand that the latest Mac Pro is like 2 year old hardware, so i don't recommend using that as an option.

I believe SMBIOS is more to do with how the system performs power management. However, overclocking has a lot to do with voltages etc.. so it could help??

This link hassome other info on SMBios -- https://giuliomac.wordpress.com/2014/02/21/best-model-number-on-your-hackintosh/

For me changing the SMBIOS resolve sleep/wake and a few other minor stability problems i had with skylake.

Good Luck! ^_^

I have a similar setup and the same Ram. My OSX also only recognizes 32GB at 3200. How did you manage it?

I didn't change the SMBIOS I am still using 3,1. I toggled the True setting in clover and also adjusted the voltage. Right now I have it at 4.6 and 2400 and set the voltage to 1.38 I am going to step it down to see if I can continue to get that with lower voltages. However, my temps are fine and Intel Power Tool shows 4.6 peaks.

Hey, also make sure you update clover to the newest version. When I said True before I meant Trust -> True.

Having similar issues with a similar setup, in this instance: Gigabyte LGA1151 Intel Z170 ATX DDR4 Motherboard GA-Z170X-UD5 4.0GHz Corei7 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4095 MB Graphics - 64GB RAM of Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 64GB- 500 GB SSD

I have tried Model 3,1 and Model 4,1 in the MultiBeast setup. Ironically it *was* recognizing all 64GB of RAM when the BIOS on the Motherboard was the original F4 BIOS. I upgraded to the F6f BIOS yesterday and now it only recognizes 32GB of RAM. Looking at the Gigabyte website ( here http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5480#bios ) it's clear that they've been adding/changing memory functionality between version F4, F5 and F6, in particular "Improving DDR XMP compatibility" and "Improve DDR Compatibility". These changes appear to have broken the ability of the Mac OS configured under Multibeast to recognize the full RAM. I'm going to down grade the BIOS tonight back to F5 and F4 and see if these work. These might be worth trying. As an aside, a lot of the other literature talks about using MacPro configurations beyond 3,1 or 4,1. However this seems to introduce lots of other issues, for example in the NVIDIA drivers recognizing the computer -- am reluctant to go that route.... Appreciate others comments as they discover more,....

Having similar issues with a similar setup, in this instance: Gigabyte LGA1151 Intel Z170 ATX DDR4 Motherboard GA-Z170X-UD5 4.0GHz Corei7 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4095 MB Graphics - 64GB RAM of Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 64GB- 500 GB SSD

I have tried Model 3,1 and Model 4,1 in the MultiBeast setup. Ironically it *was* recognizing all 64GB of RAM when the BIOS on the Motherboard was the original F4 BIOS. I upgraded to the F6f BIOS yesterday and now it only recognizes 32GB of RAM. Looking at the Gigabyte website ( here http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5480#bios ) it's clear that they've been adding/changing memory functionality between version F4, F5 and F6, in particular "Improving DDR XMP compatibility" and "Improve DDR Compatibility". These changes appear to have broken the ability of the Mac OS configured under Multibeast to recognize the full RAM. I'm going to down grade the BIOS tonight back to F5 and F4 and see if these work. These might be worth trying. As an aside, a lot of the other literature talks about using MacPro configurations beyond 3,1 or 4,1. However this seems to introduce lots of other issues, for example in the NVIDIA drivers recognizing the computer -- am reluctant to go that route.... Appreciate others comments as they discover more,....

Hey Man. Make sure your clover config is the newest version. Fixed it for me.
I did that and Boom. Not a problem since.
and make sure you run Intel Power Gadget. May not show the OC but it will run at the speeds you set it too.

Hey Man. Make sure your clover config is the newest version. Fixed it for me.
I did that and Boom. Not a problem since.
and make sure you run Intel Power Gadget. May not show the OC but it will run at the speeds you set it too.
That works -- thank you. A combination of downgrading the motherboard BIOS to F5. Ensuring that video was switched on in the motherboard (even though I wasn't using) then using the standard audio scripts. Now have 64GB of memory recognized, all the audio working - basically 100%. Fantastic! Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back