Contribute
Register

Your help is appreciated...Skylake El Cap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
had a few hiccups so far but soldiering on. Can't get past this bit though. Multibeast successfully built with suggested settings for GA-H170N-WIFI with i3 6100. Main issue is clover won't boot, just get the message to "insert a valid boot device" or similar. I can only boot Mac using USB. Any suggestions highly valued?

Secondary question: anybody refer me to a guide for installing Win10 on same SSD? Having issue with Windows installer saying it's not GUID or similar. Do I really need to create UEFI win10 installer or is there workaround?

THanks again for your time.

Hi,
had a few hiccups so far but soldiering on. Can't get past this bit though. Multibeast successfully built with suggested settings for GA-H170N-WIFI with i3 6100. Main issue is clover won't boot, just get the message to "insert a valid boot device" or similar. I can only boot Mac using USB. Any suggestions highly valued?

Secondary question: anybody refer me to a guide for installing Win10 on same SSD? Having issue with Windows installer saying it's not GUID or similar. Do I really need to create UEFI win10 installer or is there workaround?

THanks again for your time.
You have progressed beyond me, but I'd like to join in with a somewhat similar problem. My new build is:
Mini-ITX Skylake i7 6700, GA-H170N-WIFI, Gigabyte BIOS version F4c, two Samsung 850 EVO SSDs, one of which has a non-bootable installation of 10.11.5, the other also has an "almost-bootable" installation of 10.11.5.

My problem is basically ignorance of the meanings of the contents of the Clover Shell/Clover Configurator/Plist Editor Pro tools used to set up the installation of the disks. Namely, all the (to me) obscure acronyms and what they do.
examples:
nv_disable=1 -- Disable nvidia graphics?
npci=1 -- Have no idea
-x -- "Safe" mode, but what exactly does it do, and is it appropriate during installation?
-v -- "Verbose" mode, but how do you interpret the many lines of text that show up?
Fake xxxx -- like "Fake CPUID" or "Fake PCIID"; which ones should be used (if any)?
etc, etc, etc, etc. You get the idea. Is there some list of things that should be chosen written down somewhere? I haven't found one.

My specific symptoms are: with the first 4 examples I listed above input into the Clover Shell before attempting boot, the Apple progress bar moves quickly to about 3/4 complete, then slows drastically. It finally finishes, but then sometimes just stays put- forever. Other times it reboots to Clover, and once it actually went to the language screen and allowed me to get as far in "setup" to answer "How do you connect to the Internet?" I answered truthfully that I used a DHCP connection, and then the software kicked back into the Clover screen. Only that once, and now I cannot get past the Apple logo/progress bar.

Where is the cookbook that actually gets Skylake to the point that I can use Multibeast?

Hope this is not considered thread drift; same basic configuration as the OP, "stuck" in roughly the same place.

---- Bill

Do not install Win 10 on the same SSD as OSX. If you do not already know how to do it you will surely toast your OSX installation.

It can be done but it is much easier/safer to install Win 10 on any other drive, mechanical or SSD. Unplug the OSX drive while installing Win 10 so the Win 10 bootloader can not accidentally be installed there. Win 10 needs to be installed with UEFI boot to be recognized by clover, otherwise when the clover screen comes on the Win 10 installation will not be recognized. You can exit clover and then the computer should boot to Win 10 if you have set boot options in the UEFI appropriately. You do not have to use Clover to muliti-boot, you can choose what you want to use when you boot the computer via the UEFI.

As for the second post I presume you have two installations as one did not work correctly. If you did not create Unibeast with the latest 10.11.5 version of El Cap and the latest version of USB do that and start over following instructions for your mobo. There are many places to find a list of hackintosh boot flags and their meanings.

You will have to use at least use nv_disable=1 to boot into the installer from UB with your video card--you can research why this flag is needed. The skylake chipset should not require other boot flags but you can see what others have posted with a similar mobo. If ElC installs you have to reboot again via UB with whatever boot flags you used to begin with. You can then install Nvidia drivers and run MB with settings appropriate for your motherboard. If all goes well you should not need boot flags at that point.

You can skip how you connect to the internet et al at setup but choosing ethernet or a wrong choice should not kick you out of the setup program. Unibeast provides basic ethernet support until you install it with MB. If you can boot but cannot get ethernet or audio to work the cheap work around is to get OSX compatible USB adapters but it is better to set up the software correctly.

The current tools on this website work reliably for Skylake in my experience. However there is a learning curve and the variety of hardware choices out there may require individualized modifications. There are always glitches that you have to live with. For example I have no idea why the tray of my DVD drive pushes open when El Cap boots on my Skylake machine but not on my Sandy Bridge machine but I don't care enough to obsess about it because Photohsop runs fine and that is all I care about.

Bill I'm just a layman but i had most success following this guide.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-el-capitan-on-the-skylake-h170n-wifi.178197/

This gave me right bios settings. Maybe its the cookbook you mentioned. As for clover config, that is all beyond me. I thought Multibeast was a laymans way around complex instructions. I did not have to touch clover config, I got Apple to setup easily enough. I did select on board gfx (Intel 530) for install. Once installed and opening multibeast I just entered the values suggested here:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/quick-multibeast-setup-for-skylake-systems-10-11-4.192295/
------------------------------------------
You have progressed beyond me, but I'd like to join in with a somewhat similar problem. My new build is:
Mini-ITX Skylake i7 6700, GA-H170N-WIFI, Gigabyte BIOS version F4c, two Samsung 850 EVO SSDs, one of which has a non-bootable installation of 10.11.5, the other also has an "almost-bootable" installation of 10.11.5.

My problem is basically ignorance of the meanings of the contents of the Clover Shell/Clover Configurator/Plist Editor Pro tools used to set up the installation of the disks. Namely, all the (to me) obscure acronyms and what they do.
examples:
nv_disable=1 -- Disable nvidia graphics?
npci=1 -- Have no idea
-x -- "Safe" mode, but what exactly does it do, and is it appropriate during installation?
-v -- "Verbose" mode, but how do you interpret the many lines of text that show up?
Fake xxxx -- like "Fake CPUID" or "Fake PCIID"; which ones should be used (if any)?
etc, etc, etc, etc. You get the idea. Is there some list of things that should be chosen written down somewhere? I haven't found one.

My specific symptoms are: with the first 4 examples I listed above input into the Clover Shell before attempting boot, the Apple progress bar moves quickly to about 3/4 complete, then slows drastically. It finally finishes, but then sometimes just stays put- forever. Other times it reboots to Clover, and once it actually went to the language screen and allowed me to get as far in "setup" to answer "How do you connect to the Internet?" I answered truthfully that I used a DHCP connection, and then the software kicked back into the Clover screen. Only that once, and now I cannot get past the Apple logo/progress bar.

Where is the cookbook that actually gets Skylake to the point that I can use Multibeast?

Hope this is not considered thread drift; same basic configuration as the OP, "stuck" in roughly the same place.

---- Bill

Debsy,

Thanks much for those references. I'll give them a try!

Edit 07/01/16: Followed ammulder's guide dated November 9, 2015. No problems through creating Unibeast 6.2.0 USB flash drive (have done this before, and it worked fine this time, including sticking all the recommended stuff into the USB's EFI partition). I also installed a folder with all of ammulder's recommended stuff called "Postinstall" on the Flash drive for later use. But at Step 4 of "Install El Capitan," although there were two progress bars (in sequence), the Installer language screen opened very quickly. After erasing the desired SSD, quitting Disk Utility and booting on the "External Drive" in Clover, and getting the expected "13 minutes" notice, suddenly I got the error message that OS X could not be installed on this computer because there were no "eligible packages." If that referred to no "Install OS X El Capitan" app being on this new computer, that was certainly correct, since that app was on the Haswell computer that I used to create Unibeast. Is this another Catch-22? I've seen enough of those to last a lifetime trying to build these Hackintoshes!

Last edited:
OK, maybe someone could tell me why I get this error message partway through the Unibeast install of El Capitan on my Skylake partial-build? Unibeast 6.2.0, no changes to the USB stick except added a "Postinstall" folder containing Multibeast, Kextbeast, Unibeast, and some other stuff. Those should not be accessed by the install process, right? Note that the guide I tried in my previous post simply did not work at all; this is an attempted "standard" Unibeast install per ammulder's May 22, 2016 article "10.11.4+Skylake Starter Guide." The install starts normally showing approximately 13 minutes to run, goes a little way, then this pops up.

Attachments

• Skylake Install Error.jpg
    Skylake Install Error.jpg
    423.4 KB · Views: 156
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back