Contribute
Register

Yosemite Background Keeps Changing/Resetting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure that the problem of the background is connected to my solution but you can try

The problem occurs when the primary monitor is not connected to the main output of the video card.

I solved it by going to preferences, display preferences and the menu position (in Italian is "available" in English I do not know) I dragged the menu bar on the other desk, then I swapped to physically position monitors

Now the login screen is displayed on the same monitor as the Dock and menu bar, and after 10 reboots was not created any desk space.

I hope it is resolved for all

So sorry for my bad English, I translated with the help of Google Translate

Try this:

>uncheck 'displays have different spaces'
>log out and then log back in.
>set the desktop of both displays to what you want.
>return to system preferences>mission control and turn 'displays have different spaces' back on.
>log out and log back in again.

When I did this, I shut down my computer completely and then turned it back on and the desktops were what I set them as upon reboot. I shut it down again and restarted just to be sure and my desktops are still the same. Hopefully this works for you too!

This worked for me somewhat, but when I turn the computer back on, my backgrounds were the ones I chose, but on the wrong monitors. It seems that because my secondary (analog) monitor is plugged into the primary port on my graphics card, my computer thinks that's the primary monitor, until the user is logged in, and then it switches the backgrounds.

Is there any way to fix this?

It's not actually resetting your backgrounds but creating a new desktop space on every boot. Check your spaces by pressing the mission control button (F3 on my mac keyboard), it should show a bunch of desktops.
Thanks, this fixed it for me, I don't usually use Mission Control, but when I pressed F3 I found I had many desktops??
Anyhow I deleted all the extra Desktops & all is fine.

I had the same problem.

I changed that setting on "Mission Control" (unchecked 'Displays have separate Spaces')

As I like to use the other desktop while an app is on fullscreen I decided to check it.

The problem was still there when I rebooted the computer, but this time it was on the second monitor where the wallpaper got reseted. It used to reset on the primary monitor.

Well, I kept using it. I was running some apps, and I clicked on the Mission Control key on the keyboard, and I found that there were like 10 different desktop, and they all had a different background. So I just deleted them, chose new background and now everything is okay. :)

So, before doing anything, just try this :

Run Mission control and delete all the desktops (I don't know if it will work for you, but just try ;) )

I had the same problem, it really bugged me. the cause in my case was, one of apps. resolution x. after delete it, i can change backfround and it won't be back.

Hi all,

Same issue here. desktop background changing back to default after shutdown/boot backup.
My setup is OS and user folder on SSD. Then symbolic links to docs/downloads/pics(desktop backgrounds) etc to spinning drive.

Two screens attached(screen and projector). All of the suggested fixes here haven't worked for my rig.
(also same issue of about a million desktop spaces - most with default background some with my custom selection. lol)

I did find a defaults write command, that, so far has resolved the issue.

$ sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/autodiskmount AutomountDisksWithoutUserLogin -bool true
source: http://knowledgebase.tolisgroup.com/?View=entry&EntryID=103

* If someone has a better solution, I'm all ears. I feel this isn't the best solution.

Sierra Hackintosh.
The fix for me was to go into [System Preferences]; select [Users and Groups]; select [Automatic Login] and select a user. I had previously selected to turn automatic login on days ago. I found that turning this back off kept my background from going back to default after a system shutdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back