Contribute
Register

Yet Another N00b First Build

T

timothyirvine

First, thanks so much for all of the hard hacking and advice work that got a community like this going. Thank you all!

Post goal: I'd like community feedback on whether the below arrangement of parts will, properly assembled and hacked, work.

Me: I have been building Windows and Linux PC's from scratch since age 10. Really, quite easy. In 2010 I triple-booted an MSI Netbook w Windows / Linux / OSX. I'm comfortable opening terminal and running commands (preferably w. someone's advice), but can't create custom kexts or anything. I want my Hack Pro to be for HD (not necessarily 4k) video editing and last me at least 3 years.

Question 1: Can one mix and match off of the Hack Pro Buyer's Guide list to yield a working OSX system? That is what I have done, with all the hardware listed below taken from that list.

Question 2: Can someone concisely summarize the difference in compatibility with current iX Intel Haswell processors and motherboards?
EX: The i7 4790K is always preferred because it's unlocked, but 4790 and 4790K will only work with certain mobos, etc etc.

Question 3: Will the below arrangement (always up-to-date Amazon Wishlist Link) work without massive headaches? Some headaches are expected and accepted, of course.

It would ultimately be a Corsair case and power supply, a Gigabye GA-Z79X mobo, an i7 3.6 ghz 4790 CPU, EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4gb, and 32GB RAM (4x8gb Crucial 1633).

Tower/Case:
Corsair Carbide Series Black 500R Mid Tower Computer Case (CC-9011012-WW​)

Power Supply:
Corsair RM Series 850 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply - CP-9020056-NA RM850

Motherboard:
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD7 TH LGA 1150 Z97 Dual Thunderbolt 2 ATX Motherboard

CPU:
Intel Core BX80646I74790K i7-4790K Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.40 GHz)

GPU:
EVGA GeForce GTX 760 SC 4GB DisplayPort HDMI DVI-I/DVI-D Graphics Card with ACX Cooler 04G-P4-2768-KR

RAM:
Crucial Ballistix Tactical Low Profile 32GB Kit (8GBx4) DDR3-1600 UDIMM Memory BLT4K8G3D1608ET3LX0 / BLT4C8G3D1608ET3LX0

HDD 1 (boot):
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E500B/AM​)

HDD 2 (scratch/working disk):
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E1T0B/AM)

HDD 3 (long term storage):
Toshiba 5TB SATA 6Gb/s 7200rpm, 128MB Cache, 3.5-Inch Internal Hard Drive (PH3500U-1I72)

Display:
Samsung 28-Inch Ultra High Definition LED Monitor (U28D590D)

Bluetooth:
IOGEAR Bluetooth 4.0 USB Micro Adapter (GBU521)

Wireless:
TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Dual Band Wireless N900 PCI Express Adapter,2.4GHz 450Mbps/5Ghz 450Mbps, Include Low-profile Bracket

Peripherals:
Apple Wireless Keyboard and Mouse

Thank you so much!

Last edited by a moderator:

Going Bald

Motherboard
GA-X58A-UD7 Rev.1 BIOS F7
CPU
Intel Xeon W3670
Graphics
RX580
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Classic Mac
iMac
Anything in the Buyer's Guide can be mix-n-match to fit your budget and needs as long as you match CPU to socket. 97 series boards with latest BIOS can use any of the Haswell CPUs, whether original issue of refresh. Any GPU in the list can also be used with the caveat that the Maxwell GPU's (some of the lower level x50 and x50Ti's and the 9xx series) all require web drivers since they do not have native Apple support.

T

timothyirvine

Hey Going Bald. Thank you so much for your response! This really helps me understand the ability to mix-and-match these hardware components.

Would one say that it is basically, then, almost plug-and-play with any of the components from the Buyer's Guide?

As far as those Maxwell GPU x50-series boards you listed, when it comes to finding web drivers for those, how horrific is that process? (Before I start down the Google rabbit hole myself, perhaps you can answer right off the cuff that there's a whole site dedicated to drivers for OSX, or it's gonna be trauling through forums like this for a few days...?)

Thank you!!

Motherboard
GA-Z270N Gaming 5
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
GTX 1060
Mac
MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
iBook, iMac, Performa, Power Mac, PowerBook
As far as those Maxwell GPU x50-series boards you listed, when it comes to finding web drivers for those, how horrific is that process? (Before I start down the Google rabbit hole myself, perhaps you can answer right off the cuff that there's a whole site dedicated to drivers for OSX, or it's gonna be trauling through forums like this for a few days...?)
Nvidia drivers can be easily enough downloaded here. TonyMac has a whole thread dedicated to the process here.

T

timothyirvine

Thank you all so much.

Sorry if any of my questions were redundant, but this clarified a lot of my questions. I plan on having this built in the next 6 months, and once successful I'll list it under User Builds.

Thanks again!!