Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I also built the case! Some pictures:

Although I'm not an experienced craftsman I had lots of fun building this case. I had a 2008 macbook white with no use (broken keyboard) which i now use as a home server. I removed the fan and replaced it with this passive cooler. It's all attached to a simple wooden frame which coincidentally fits perfectly on the 120mm fan. The blue leds give it a nice touch, although I'll probably get a fan with white leds. All ports are heading top which means the case is completely closed, there's no opening for the ports. There's only the power cables (two cables - had to get a separate one for the fan because the mainboard does not have a 12V fan connector, only 5V) going inside the case.
The case stays really cool, CPU is 20°C in idle. I suppose this is not surprising for notebook hardware, but it means the fan can run really slowly and it'll still be cool.

Things I want to improve:
- build a wifi antenna (like this one: http://www.instructables.com/id/Bi-Quad-WiFi-Antenna/)
- get a fan with white LEDs and maybe even less noise in this mounting position (apparently horizontal and blowing upwards increases fan noise)
- get an on-off switch. At the moment i have to manually connect two contacts on the mainboard to turn it on - not too bad since it's an always-on server anyway
- maybe spray paint the case again since i did a pretty bad job

Hope you like it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't feel bad! You can always continue the project as soon as you have more experience or the right tools.

Rather remarkable, if I do say so myself. How is the heatsink mounted and secured? Just into the wooden block on the opposite side? Very impressive way to re-work an old logic board.

-IC

I really like this build, it turned out very nice...Good job. Perhaps now that you've figured out how to make the motherboard chassis assembly from wood, maybe you can try to do it over using plexiglass, that way it also matches the fan through and through. I think 3/8" or 3/4" can do the job, and might not be that difficult to work with.

Nice job, congrats ! :thumbup:

did you use a trashcan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back