Contribute
Register

XPS 9700 - dGPU won't go off/sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strange, are you sure it's the dGPU to blame for the power drain? It is possible I never noticed anything because I never move it around. It's just too heavy.

As for the hibernation mode I went through the Dortania guide and on top of that I unlocked the CFG LOCK. Sleep worked more or less right away and I have uptimes of several weeks, no problem. It is also always stone cold when I check it.

Sleep is rather broken in case USB is not working right, in my experience. Here, all is good.

PS: Deactivate USB always on in the BIOS settings or check it in case you haven't. Also a fresh install sometimes is a bliss and then things start functioning as they should. Unlock CFG LOCK before you start and move to square one.

Last edited:
Hey, thanks for uploading. The WEG flag doesn't seem to effectively disable the dGPU as I'm seeing much higher power draw if I only use that flag and not my SSDT. Are you running on AC power so you haven't noticed that?

Which sleep/hibernation mode do you have set up? You're able to sleep for 5+ minutes and wake up properly?
Did you change any BIOS variables?
please update your hardware profile to allow others to help you easier

please read the faq for proper hardware profile setup:

Strange, are you sure it's the dGPU to blame for the power drain? It is possible I never noticed anything because I never move it around. It's just too heavy.

As for the hibernation mode I went through the Dortania guide and on top of that I unlocked the CFG LOCK. Sleep worked more or less right away and I have uptimes of several weeks, no problem. It is also always stone cold when I check it.

Sleep is rather broken in case USB is not working right, in my experience. Here, all is good.

PS: Deactivate USB always on in the BIOS settings or check it in case you haven't. Also a fresh install sometimes is a bliss and then things start functioning as they should. Unlock CFG LOCK before you start and move to square one.
99% sure it's the dGPU, my SSDT turns it off. Can get 8 hours of battery without undervolt.

I'll check out the BIOS settings but I think is probably the CFG lock that's killing sleep for me. Not gonna reinstall at this point but may maybe down the road- I don't really NEED sleep.

Actually sleep worked before I managed to unlock CFG LOCK. USB mapping is really first thing you should look at.
Good to know- my USB map is working great. I think sleep actually may have worked before when I was using USBInjectAll. I'd like to hear if yours still works when your dGPU is properly disabled and with Bluetooth working, if you get around to trying that.

Last edited:
Good to know- my USB map is working great. I think sleep actually may have worked before when I was using USBInjectAll. I'd like to hear if you're still works when your dGPU is properly disabled and with Bluetooth working, if you get around to trying that.
Not sure if I'll go after it. I actually keep it for my music recordings as it really has muscles and a fantastic display, never seen any other like it.

For my daily work I have my C740 and since recently an i9 S740 which was really nice and easy to hack since it's quite simple to get to the extended BIOS. I bricked it once and had to let it get repaired by pros but I learned my lesson the hard way not to touch any BIOS setting I don't exactly understand.. ;-)

Good to know- my USB map is working great. I think sleep actually may have worked before when I was using USBInjectAll. I'd like to hear if yours still works when your dGPU is properly disabled and with Bluetooth working, if you get around to trying that.
Hi thewhoareyou,

Thanks to your EFI, I got dGPU off which was definitely draining my battery life.

I did get sleep working, before I used your EFI actually because I could verify that sleep didn't drain battery but as soon as lid open and screen on, battery went down quickly.

Here's my fork from your EFI.

Still some issues for me:

• Audio through internal speakers not working, works through TB dock -> DisplayPort audio
  • Microphone (internal) not working
  • USB working intermittently, especially through the Thunderbolt Dock (Dell TB15). USBMap and Hackintool doesn't detect the USB ports through TB dock
  • Ethernet working through USB-C dongle but not through Thunderbolt Dock
  • HDMI out not working (purple haze, or no signal at all) when going through TB->HDMI but works fine USBC-HDMI. The framebuffer connector type has been adjusted but I think it's to do with TB vs USB-C (alt mode) conversions.

Hi thewhoareyou,

Thanks to your EFI, I got dGPU off which was definitely draining my battery life.

I did get sleep working, before I used your EFI actually because I could verify that sleep didn't drain battery but as soon as lid open and screen on, battery went down quickly.

Here's my fork from your EFI.

Still some issues for me:

• Audio through internal speakers not working, works through TB dock -> DisplayPort audio
  • Microphone (internal) not working
  • USB working intermittently, especially through the Thunderbolt Dock (Dell TB15). USBMap and Hackintool doesn't detect the USB ports through TB dock
  • Ethernet working through USB-C dongle but not through Thunderbolt Dock
  • HDMI out not working (purple haze, or no signal at all) when going through TB->HDMI but works fine USBC-HDMI. The framebuffer connector type has been adjusted but I think it's to do with TB vs USB-C (alt mode) conversions.
I see you used a different SMBIOS as me. I wasn't able to get my screens working using the MacBookPro16,4 SMBIOS you used and therefore opted to use iMac19,1. I think that's also the cause of my sleep issues, since I tried changing the Sign of Life BIOS option and still can't wake from sleep.

Actually, I just tried using the MacBookPro16,4 SMIBIOS and still no luck. Maybe I need a reinstall or maybe it's the framebuffer platform id.

Last edited:
I see you used a different SMBIOS as me. I wasn't able to get my screens working using the MacBookPro16,4 SMBIOS you used and therefore opted to use iMac19,1. I think that's also the cause of my sleep issues, since I tried changing the Sign of Life BIOS option and still can't wake from sleep.

Actually, I just tried using the MacBookPro16,4 SMIBIOS and still no luck. Maybe I need a reinstall or maybe it's the framebuffer platform id.
Have you tried it with the entire EFI I attached. I think it might have worked with several SMBIOS for me so it might not be that. Also might be somewhere settings that I fiddled with. Only thing is I also had the Sleep wake failure issue with the Dell logo on another hack, Dell XPS 9390 2 in 1 with i7-1065G7, and changing that Sign of Life immediately solved sleep.

On another topic, is your Thunderbolt Hotplug working? Mine only on boot if attached. However, I found out that if it's working and I put it to sleep, then I can detach and then reattach while still asleep. Then when it wakes, it's working. Otherwise if detaching or attaching when awake, Thunderbolt breaks. Hotplugging with displayport works, despite the USB ports breaking.

I've got an XPS 9570 with the single TB3 controller which Hotplugs very well in all situations. Not sure what's going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back