Contribute
Register

[XPS 13 9360 I7-8550U] How to change fan and cpu boost profiles? Being throttled, despite low temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks @RehabMan and @Feartech !

So I added the "CoolStar patches for I2C" and configured a LiluFriend.kext that contains all Lilu plugins within that .kext (as recommend by the author) I'm not 100% correct I did all correctly, as I did some small things differently like changed the default <string>12.0.0</string> to <string>18.2.0</string> for the pre-loaded: om.apple.kpi.bsd, com.apple.kpi.dsep, com.apple.kpi.iokit, com.apple.kpi.libkern, com.apple.kpi.mach, com.apple.kpi.unsupported, since that is what my system shows for those. I also changed the BuildMachineOSBuild of "16E185" to match my build of "18B75"

Anyhow, now my trackpad and thunderbolt port is working again, yay!

One thing I did notice though, is that when I look in system information for kext files I see that the following are not loaded: AppleBacklightInjector, CPUFriendDataProvider, FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi, UVC2FaceTimeHD (have webcam disabled, so don't care for facetime) Even though those show "no" for "loaded" my backlight, wifi work fine. Is the "loaded/no" normal? All show "dependencies" "satisfied" I attached a photo.

Lastly, regarding my original issue of this post, nothing has changed and the computer still artificially limits power to keep the cpu freq low, so that fans don't kick on when running intensive task like prime95. Actually it's slightly lower max sustain at 1.8 now, vs 2.0 before. I attached an image that shows the boost to 4.0 which lasted for about 4 seconds, then crashes to 1.8, where it stays, at 64c with the fans off.. (my cooing is upgraded which is why it can handle sustained 1.8ghz at 64c without fans) Cinebench score now 478 whereas before i was at least getting 540 or higher

Attached is my new debug files. Thanks again for all the help, really appreciate it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-28 at 4.39.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-28 at 4.39.51 PM.png
    160.7 KB · Views: 126
  • debug_4676.zip
    2 MB · Views: 53
  • Screen Shot 2018-11-28 at 9.38.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-28 at 9.38.16 PM.png
    365.8 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
One thing I did notice though, is that when I look in system information for kext files I see that the following are not loaded: AppleBacklightInjector, CPUFriendDataProvider, FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi, UVC2FaceTimeHD

You should not expect injector/codeless kexts to show as loaded.
But please note that AppleBacklightInjector is deprecated.
See guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ontrol-using-applebacklightfixup-kext.218222/
Lastly, regarding my original issue of this post, nothing has changed and the computer still artificially limits power to keep the cpu freq low, so that fans don't kick on when running intensive task like prime95. Actually it's slightly lower max sustain at 1.8 now, vs 2.0 before. I attached an image that shows the boost to 4.0 which lasted for about 4 seconds, then crashes to 1.8, where it stays, at 64c with the fans off.. (my cooing is upgraded which is why it can handle sustained 1.8ghz at 64c without fans) Cinebench score now 478 whereas before i was at least getting 540 or higher

Remove CPUFriend related X86PlatformPlugin patching.

Thank you @RehabMan Where should I look to for the X86PlatformPlugin patching? I could not find "X86PlatformPlugin" when searching my CPUFriend.kext, config.plist, Clover files, nor my boot drive. Searching the CPUFriend github did not yield clear results either.

Thank you @RehabMan Where should I look to for the X86PlatformPlugin patching? I could not find "X86PlatformPlugin" when searching my CPUFriend.kext, config.plist, Clover files, nor my boot drive. Searching the CPUFriend github did not yield clear results either.

Simple: Don't use CPUFriend.kext (why are you using something without understanding what it does?)

Note: You should be testing pstates with AppleIntelInfo.kext.

I was using it because it was part of the repo from @the-darkvoid https://github.com/the-darkvoid/XPS9360-macOS

On his page it says:
I"n order for macOS to effectively manage the power profile of the i7-8550U processor in the Dell XPS 9630 model used here, it is necessary to include a powermanagement profile for X86PlatformPlugin.

A pre-built CPUFriend.kext and CPUDataProvider.kext is included in the kext folder for the i7-8550U."

That's why I was using it. I am a total newbie and would not be able to figure this stuff out from scratch.

Anyhow, I will remove the CPUFriend (assuming CPUFriendDataProvider too?) and see how it goes.

Have no idea what testing "pstates with AppleIntelInfo.kext." is but I'll be googling that tomorrow to try to figure it all out. :D

Thanks again.

@RehabMan

Thank you for the info. Regarding the depreciated AppleBacklightInjector.kext, I removed it but kept my SSDT-PNLF.aml in clover patched. My backlight control seems to be working fine without it, do I still need to delete SSDT-PNLF.aml and start over via your guide using AppleBacklightFixup.kext ?

To be honest, the stuff in that guide is way over my head. I tried reading the guide several times, but I am not a coder, so basic stuff is really hard for me to figure out.

Lastly, regarding removing CPUFriend related X86PlatformPlugin patching, I simply uninstalled CPUFriend.kext and CPUFriendDataProvider.kext, is there anything more to do in config.plist, or remove .aml files?

Thanks.

@RehabMan

Thank you for the info. Regarding the depreciated AppleBacklightInjector.kext, I removed it but kept my SSDT-PNLF.aml in clover patched. My backlight control seems to be working fine without it, do I still need to delete SSDT-PNLF.aml and start over via your guide using AppleBacklightFixup.kext ?

To be honest, the stuff in that guide is way over my head. I tried reading the guide several times, but I am not a coder, so basic stuff is really hard for me to figure out.

AppleBacklightFixup.kext is an important part of the solution, as is SSDT-PNLF.aml.
Read the gude carefully:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ontrol-using-applebacklightfixup-kext.218222/

Lastly, regarding removing CPUFriend related X86PlatformPlugin patching, I simply uninstalled CPUFriend.kext and CPUFriendDataProvider.kext, is there anything more to do in config.plist, or remove .aml files?

Obviously, try without those kexts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back