Contribute
Register

XFX R9 280x on GA-Z87X-UD7-TH with Safe Mode only....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HackPro in MacPro case
CPU
i7 2600k
Graphics
Radeon 6870
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have installed the Bootloader and Extra Folder onto the EFI partition but my XFX can only boot up in safe mode.

I've been searching to no end for someone with at least the same card. Other with the R9 280x, but different brand, are having perfect OOB compatibility. If I boot with the iGFX enabled and the Apple Cinema Display connected to the MD/Thunderbolt port, the system runs great, but the 280x cards are simply listed as 'Unknown'. Is there a simple Kext that I need to install? This is hopefully one of those fixes that I completely missed and will be simple. Can it really be that it is the BRAND of the card that it crippling me?

~Scott

Hi,

Did you resolve this in the end? These XFX cards don't play well with OSX.

Hi,

Did you resolve this in the end? These XFX cards don't play well with OSX.

Almost....

I have someone that I have shipped my pair of XFX 280x, and XFX 290x, cards to in order to solve this dilemma. So far, he has reported that the reason that these do not work Out Of the Box is because these XFX 280x cards do not use the same core as other 280x cards that work OOB. These are no longer "re-labed 7###" cards anymore from how I am understanding it. [CORRECTION: Pretty sure I am wrong about those statements]

The good news is that he has them functional. This required altering the BIOS so that it performs some needed 'handshake' with OSX. Without this, it makes sense why we cannot perform a normal boot at all regardless of boot flags we try, etc. Since he has my pair of cards, he is tweaking the CrossFire functionality so that I can get the benefit of the power from both cards installed. I'll make an announcement when I've got them installed and running in my system.

The 290x however May have to await a later version of OSX.

~Scott

Results are in, and looking fairly good:

LuxMark OpenCL score of 5,064

~Best,
Scott

Attachments

• 5.png
    5.png
    61.9 KB · Views: 193
I've been working on this with person you sent your cards to. Despite the benchmarks, the modified GPU bios is not working with FCPX. It may be different with your motherboard, but on the Gigabyte X79, it's no good. I got the same freezing/crashing in FCPX with this rom as I did with the XFX DD bios.

I am having major issues with a pair of XFX R9 280x. I can get them to boot, but the graphics are glitchy and I can't change the display resolution to anything but 1600x1200 (and I need 3440x1440). Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back