Contribute
Register

X99 5960x 10.10.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok install is done 10.10.3 with unibeast on 5960x (not easy). only one thing to finish is the power management (idle to turbo boost)
How to update from 10.10 to 10.10.3? I always stuck at PCI configuration:confused:

I have a RVE, 5960X, GTX 980. Here is what I did:

1. Make a bootable USB using UniBeast method. Name the USB as “USB”

2. Open Terminal. Write
Code:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

killall Finder

3. Navigate to /USB/Extra/Extensions and delete all the kexts

4. Navigate to /USB/System/Library/Extensions and delete AppleACPIPlatform.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext

5. The folder titled “5960x test number one” contains some kexts. Copy these kexts to /USB/System/Library/Extensions.

6. Use the manual installation of kexts via terminal to install all the copied kexts in 5 above.

7. Patch the kernel: Open Terminal and enter:
Code:
sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x74\x11\x83\xF8\x3C|\x74\x11\x83\xF8\x3F|g' /Volumes/USB/System/Library/Kernels/kernel

8. In Terminal, type:
Code:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles NO

killall Finder

9. Use this USB to boot on system Yosemite is to be installed. Use the following boot flags:
Code:
-v -f npci=0x2000 kext-dev-mode=1 nv_disable=1 debug=0x14e

10. Install Yosemite. On completion of installation, DO NOT boot into Yosemite on the computer. Instead restart the machine and boot from the USB again. We need to replace the kernel with the patched one, also replace some kexts needed for installation.

11. On a separate machine (from which the USB was created), use a second USB drive, and name it “COPY”

12. Copy all the kexts from the “5960x test number one” onto COPY.

13. Boot from USB using the same kernel flags as in 9. above.

14. After booting into the installer, selecting language and moving on to the installer screen, select Utilities->Terminal and type:
Code:
rm -rf /Volumes/Yosemite/System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext

rm -rf /Volumes/Yosemite/System/Library/Extensions/IOPCIFamily.kext

cp -R /Volumes/COPY/kexts/. /Volumes/Yosemite/System/Library/Extensions/

cp -R /Volumes/USB/System/Library/Kernels/kernel /Volumes/Yosemite/System/Library/Kernels/

15. Utilities->Disk Utility. Select the Yosemite installation drive (SSD) and click on "Repair Disk Permissions”.

16. Shut down the system after permissions repair is done.

17. Boot the system from USB using the same kernel flags, but boot into Yosemite. It’s time to install boot loader onto Yosemite SSD.

18. Post installation: Download nVidia’s laters web drivers, Clover bootloader and Clover Configurator.

19. Install nVidia’s web drivers and reboot as in 17. This time, use the following kernel flags:
Code:
npci=0x2000 kext-dev-mode=1 PCIRootUID=1 nvda_drv=1

20. Use MultiBeast for post-installation. Edit the boot.plist to enter the relevant boot flags etc.

Were you able to get power management to work? Also how did you get the turbo boost to work? I could only overclock by increasing BCLK. Do you use NULLCPUPOWERMGMT? Thanks for any/all tips.

Thank you very much Jaraheel !!

Your guide is excellent and I Did my install under clover.
Now for the post installation : What is the Multibeast Options you used?
Also did you used ssdtPRGen ?

I have problems for Overclock my system... the CPU stuck at 3ghz even I tweak my bios.
I have problems with the Memory speed too, sometimes shows 0Mhz !! there are 2400...

Could you explain a little bit more you did you do in the Post installation to have the best performance?
What is you Geekbench? Bradish has a geekbench at 36000 !!!! I only have 21000...

Thank you again for your huge help !

I think there's something not working out well for me with step 14.

I did the following steps but am not convinced that I am getting the desired result:

1. The 2nd USB drive I used was reformatted to OS X Extended Journaled and named 'Copy'.

2. The four kext files from the '5960x test number one' folder were copied directly onto the 'Copy' flash drive.

2. I booted back into the new X99 system via the Unibeast drive (with the boot-flags of course,but also with the new 'Copy' drive plugged-in as well) and proceeded to go to Terminal.

3. From there I typed in exactly what was suggested, the last two pieces of text ("cp -R /Volumes/COPY/kexts/. /Volumes/Yosemite/System/Library/Extensions/" & "cp -R /Volumes/USB/System/Library/Kernels/kernel /Volumes/Yosemite/System/Library/Kernels/"), cause Terminal to respond with: 'cp: -: No Such File or Directory' & 'cp: R: No such file or directory'.

Is there something I am not doing correctly with regards to naming, formatting the drive, or copying the four kext files onto the drive?

I am only copying the kexts files on an the '5960x test number one' folder...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

For step 14, is it really 100% necessary to manually install the kext files via Terminal, or can KextBeast be used?

It is curious that the instructions mandate a manual install but provide no way of performing the action.

The google search resulted in an article which listed a manual method using Terminal.. but that method was provided after mentioning that KextBeast is much more convenient & recommended.

Thoughts?

Hi Sam,

Did you find out for turbo boost ? power management?
Is intel power gadget work on yosemite?
Did you apply the AHCI Injector in yosemite??

thanks for your help

For step 14, is it really 100% necessary to manually install the kext files via Terminal, or can KextBeast be used?

It is curious that the instructions mandate a manual install but provide no way of performing the action.

The google search resulted in an article which listed a manual method using Terminal.. but that method was provided after mentioning that KextBeast is much more convenient & recommended.

Thoughts?

I used Kext Wizard for install of all Kexts/Repair Permissions etc. and all worked fine. I used a Macbook Pro for USB creation/Kernel Patching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back