Contribute
Register

X58 and OS X El Capitan? (X58A-UD3r)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@danzg

Do you have a spare hard drive that you can try and install all of this from scratch or is that what you already did or are you trying to upgrade from a previous OSX. I wiped my hard drive and started from scratch after backing up my previous OSX build, than once I got it working I used the migration assistant to transfer all data and apps. If you are using the same MB post #278 works perfectly, not sure what memory you have, it seems like you are trying to fix too many things at the same time.

Please advise

@danzg

Do you have a spare hard drive that you can try and install all of this from scratch or is that what you already did or are you trying to upgrade from a previous OSX. I wiped my hard drive and started from scratch after backing up my previous OSX build, than once I got it working I used the migration assistant to transfer all data and apps. If you are using the same MB post #278 works perfectly, not sure what memory you have, it seems like you are trying to fix too many things at the same time.

Please advise

This is a clean install to a formatted drive. I originally followed the 'main' tonymac guide ... but no audio, and missing 4 GB of RAM. Then I followed post 278 -- which involved a whole different config, new kexts, etc -- but would not boot.

This is a clean install to a formatted drive. I originally followed the 'main' tonymac guide ... but no audio, and missing 4 GB of RAM. Then I followed post 278 -- which involved a whole different config, new kexts, etc -- but would not boot.

I guess I don't know than, I put the DSDT file both on my usb and in the edi patched folder and everything worked flawlessly. It wasnt difficult at all. Not sure what you mean by a while different configuration and kext files as the guy in post #278 has the same exact MB as us.

I guess I don't know than, I put the DSDT file both on my usb and in the edi patched folder and everything worked flawlessly. It wasnt difficult at all. Not sure what you mean by a while different configuration and kext files as the guy in post #278 has the same exact MB as us.

I meant "different" to the "main" tonymac guide for El Capitan, and different to what MultiBeast creates.

So, to be clear, you used the DSDT from post 278, yes?
And using the config.plist exactly as that post instructs?
Also what do you mean by "edi patched folder"?

I might do the whole thing from scratch, but it's a lot of hours.

I meant "different" to the "main" tonymac guide for El Capitan, and different to what MultiBeast creates.

So, to be clear, you used the DSDT from post 278, yes?
And using the config.plist exactly as that post instructs?
Also what do you mean by "edi patched folder"?

I might do the whole thing from scratch, but it's a lot of hours.

In post 278, step 4 & 7 talk about where to put the DSDT file in the patch folder. I didn't use multi beast at all and I only used the link to TonyMacs post in 278 as reference. It also references how to do the audio as well in that post which I posted in a previous post to you. The config.plist file is modified with clover configuration nothing else. It actually doesn't take hours to do.

Last edited:
I have everything working great, and I installed it to two different hard drives just to make sure I got it right. I followed post #278, and to get Audio working I downloaded the CloverALC110 script and ran it.

Its part of Step 6 located here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/u...pitan-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.172672/
16. (Optional) Download CloverALC110 script
17. (Optional) Browser/Click on download file
18. (Optional) Finder/Double click .command file
19. (Optional) Go through steps in Terminal to install appropriate audio choices
"For the steps I just selected Y for all of them"

Did all that, tested all configurations, still no go. Do you have any sleep issues? Your CPU is different from mine, so maybe that is why it works for you and not for me.

I
Did all that, tested all configurations, still no go. Do you have any sleep issues? Your CPU is different from mine, so maybe that is why it works for you and not for me.
I don't have any sleep issues. It's all working. If you are not starting from scratch, I suggest you start with a freshly formatted hard drive.
When you say yours isn't working, what isn't working. You have to describe what issues your having so we can help you out better.

I did start from scratch.
I

I don't have any sleep issues. It's all working. If you are not starting from scratch, I suggest you start with a freshly formatted hard drive.
When you say yours isn't working, what isn't working. You have to describe what issues your having so we can help you out better.
I did start from scratch, and I said earlier what wasn't working: 1) sleep (rig freezes and resets BIOS); and 2) sound (no output devices available).

I did start from scratch.

I did start from scratch, and I said earlier what wasn't working: 1) sleep (rig freezes and resets BIOS); and 2) sound (no output devices available).
In your post you said update, I thought you meant install on top of your 10.7. Anyways, I made sure when I did mine, I only had the minimum components connected, meaning 1 hard drive (OS drive), everything was very basic and I followed post 278. I also have an h80i cpu cooler, but that can't be connected via USB because it won't let the computer sleep so I unplugged that, it still works fine though but can't monitor it unless I'm in Windows. If you take your time and follow everything I don't see why it won't work unless you have some other devices attached or your configuration is randomly different than what we have here in this thread.

In your post you said update, I thought you meant install on top of your 10.7. Anyways, I made sure when I did mine, I only had the minimum components connected, meaning 1 hard drive (OS drive), everything was very basic and I followed post 278. I also have an h80i cpu cooler, but that can't be connected via USB because it won't let the computer sleep so I unplugged that, it still works fine though but can't monitor it unless I'm in Windows. If you take your time and follow everything I don't see why it won't work unless you have some other devices attached or your configuration is randomly different than what we have here in this thread.
It was installed barebones, i.e.: one HDD, and only the Radeon graphics card (which is recognized automatically by older OS X versions; I don't know about 10.11). The BIOS was flashed to FH using Windows and @BIOS. Anyways, this is kinda moot, since the OS installed OK and is capable of booting the computer. Apps run fine, USB ports work fine. I have a CPU cooler, but it is not plugged to USB. The rig recognizes all peripherals I have plugged to it, except sound/speakers. In terms of power management, the only setting that is viable at the time is Display Sleep. Hibernating is off, and putting it to sleep results in wiping out the CMOS and the computer restarting multiple times -I have to reset the CMOS to factory defaults and edit BIOS before rebooting the system.

I can live with a system like this; I use this machine for work, mostly image processing and number crunching, so sound is not a must. And I can turn it off before going home, so no-sleep is not a huge inconvenience. It just bothers me that it does not work PERFECTLY. Call me OCD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back