Supermicro x9dai
CPU
2 x E5 2620
Graphics
Quadro 2000
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
hi,

I would need your advice about a dual cpu hackintosh!
Can It be build it with this kind of motherboard http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/xeon/c600/x10dax.cfm

and flawlessly work with yosemite for audio production etc, with more that 64gb ram etc.

I would really appreciate your advice if already anyone tried! Thank you in advance everybody,

Works Flawlessly is not a phrase you'll be able to associate with a dual socket Xeon
hackintosh. If you would be attempting this as a first build just getting it to work at
all will be quite a challenge.

Since the 2013 Mac Pro has not been refreshed OS X doesn't support Haswell-EP or
the C612 chipset. They may use something close to that in the refresh version but
we'll only know once they start making those newer Mac Pros. Apple has never been
known to be in a hurry with their Mac Pro hardware updates.

Your best chance at success would be to use an Asus or Gigabyte X99 board which can
handle 64 GB of DDR4 ram and the Eight Core 5960X. Some already have these systems
working using a modified kernel. If you have to have a Xeon cpu take a look at the
Asus X99-WS motherboard which can use the 8+ core Xeons with no problem as well as
ECC memory if you need that.

Thanks for your explanations. The fact is that I absolutely need 64gb of Ram or even more . I'm working with a very mem hungry sound library by east west so I need a motherboard that can be upgraded, has usb 3 on board etc.

What's about x10dax vs x9dai vs X8DTi E-ATX by supermicro?
What motherboard do you think is at the same time up to date & realistic to make a hackintosh runing yosemite :angel: and update it in the future? I checked on your forum some guys trying succesfully with a x10dax! Tha fact is that the new trash can by mac is not upgradable, and to my eyes it does not seem like a powerful piece of hardware... and the money to invest is in disproportion with that!

So: supermicro x10dax vs x9dai vs X8DTi E-ATX for a hackintosh workstation? Who wins the race?

It's best that you discuss with BoomR http://www.tonymacx86.com/members/boomr/
what your specific needs for an audio system are. He's a senior moderator who knows
more about Customacs and pro audio software than anyone. He will steer you in the
right direction for a successful build that will do what you need it to. Post in one of
the threads he is active in so he will see it.

I will try to get in touch right now! thank you :thumbup:

hi,

I would need your advice about a dual cpu hackintosh!
Can It be build it with this kind of motherboard http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/xeon/c600/x10dax.cfm

and flawlessly work with yosemite for audio production etc, with more that 64gb ram etc.

I would really appreciate your advice if already anyone tried! Thank you in advance everybody,

I have this motherboard, not having much success even booting the Yosemite USB boot stick; tried both Unibeast and Clover, multiple boot flags, so far no go. So this motherboard would be a great choice once Apple updates OS X to support Haswell-E chips and the Intel C612 chipset. I'm just about ready to put the Hackintosh project on the back burner and install Windows on it for now.

Wow, can't believe it's been a year since I last worked on this. I was back trying to see if anyone else has had any success with the Supermicro X10DAX and dual Xeon E5's.

@PunkNugget, I had the SR-2 with dual Xeons too! But I - through some mixup - was using low end quad core 2.0 GHz chips rather than the 6-core 3.33 GHz X5680s I'd bought for it (I thought they'd ripped me off by sending me inferior silicon, but after I ordered my new setup, I found the X5680s... too late!).

I'll keep searching; maybe in the next few weeks I'll try again with Unibeast/Multibeast. If anyone knows of a method, please message me! Thanks in advance.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back