Contribute
Register

WWDC 2012 Mac Pro "Update"

Status
Not open for further replies.
My guess is that the socket 2011 server platform isn't a large enough spec upgrade to warrant an entirely new case and system board design currently, so they are sending a small gesture to those who need a Mac Pro right now that "yes, they haven't killed it... and here are some lower prices and a couple different configurations".

I'm betting they are waiting for a more matured chipset to match the Ivy Bridge offerings with USB 3.0, SATA3 and a proper Thunderbolt setup. (which btw, I speculated on the fact that you don't need to pipe a video signal through the chip to offer Thunderbolt... maybe in some strange scenario, the currently available Thunderbolt chips aren't designed yet for dedicated use as the priority? Seems awfully weird to me...)

All it seems like to me is a gesture to "hang in there". They can't kill off the Mac Pro with Final Cut pro etc. and the fact that it'd severely cripple their lineup.

This update is a disgrace. The new rumor is "later next year" for a significant upgrade.

Sometimes I think apple sets up a product line to fail so they can discontinue it. Seems like Mac Pro will be discontinued and they can say because of lack of sales, but it was only lack of sales because they never updated it...hehe

Anyways shame to see the 17 inch macbook pro go. I love my 17 inch macbook pro, probably wanting to streamline things to one type of IPS panel for the retina display. Also I imagine a 17 inch retina display would of been higher res and much more costly.

My 2 cents.

This smells like they're pricing the MacPro to empty out their remaining old inventory of MacPro hardware. i.e. slapping a faster chip (very easy to do), cutting down the price.

(2) ways to go from here.
a... MacPro will be killed as soon as the last inventory is gone.
b... new MacPro designs will be released as soon as the old inventory is gone.

if they kill the mac pro, what will all the high end users/designers/musicians/etc be using??? MBPs or iMacs????

Doesn't make any sense

Maybe the Mac Pro needs a full-sized retina display for professionals when it's ready to happen (so you can have a 27" high res display, that makes it easier to develop the 2x sized graphics components for all the other retina display devices).

Perhaps it's just a combination of display, the actual compute-oriented nVidia graphics product to come out (GK110) and the other pieces to fall into play like native USB3 etc.

Again... I really have a hard time believing they'd get rid of their only pro-line system when so many companies especially rely on them. They wouldn't have updated another round of server software updates either...

I'll see what happens, but I'll still probably buy and hang onto the MacPro tower later this year if nothing happens as I need one.

Also... I was in an Apple store the other day "ready to buy" a Mac Pro, and the guy told me to seriously consider waiting until late summer at minimum - and if I really needed one now, why not find a decently priced used one to tide me over. It's not a dead line... they'd have an incomplete lineup without them. And it's not like Apple is opposed to expanding their product line a bit more. They just added even more laptop SKU's :) And still sell the old iPhones.

Neccros said:
if they kill the mac pro, what will all the high end users/designers/musicians/etc be using??? MBPs or iMacs????

Doesn't make any sense

Ya, said similar on another thread.
Most likely people will go with the new MBP.
Why go with the aging iMAC?

Pros for MBP over iMAC
---USB3!!!

And I'll never understand why the Mac Pro doesn't have USB3 or Thunderbold...it's the PRO machine!

What a shame. At this point they should have made it really silent, avoiding that "NEW" mark on the store.
Throwing in for free at least a HD6870 plus a pcie sata3-thunderbolt-usb3 card could be called a minor update. What they did can't be called an update at all, is just ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back