Contribute
Register

WWDC 2012 Mac Pro "Update"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't believe they didnt at lease use the 3570 chip in the base model to support 1333 ram? der?

Would really like to know if they are still using the 5,1 system definition tho?

tonymacx86 said:
DecipherXX said:
Between this, and the fact the iMac hasn't been updated - think its time we said our goodbyes to the Mac desktop, before apple bury it!

I'm sure we'll see a new Ivy Bridge iMac, and possibly Mac mini with the Mountain Lion release next month. :thumbup:
Hopefully we'll at least see a sandy bridge -e Mac pro.

Hey All,
Really love what this community is all about. I feel very fortunate to have stumbled upon a link from Lifehacker pointing me this way. It's been an incredible, eye-opening experience and I'd like to thank everyone here for being awesome in the sharing of knowledge.

This seemed the most fitting place for my first post seeing as it is the pro line that has given me much frustration over recent years. I'm a creative professional dealing in both still and motion image capture and I have just burned out the GPU in my second MBP in 4 years. My own fault. I didn't realize that I could stress the system so much. Should've taken it easy when I felt how hot it was. Anyway, live and learn.

I've used mac for most of my life, and I still truly love the aesthetics and user interface. However, I feel I'm at an impass.

I have to buy a new system but:
- The Mac Pro line is a joke. I agree with stock clearance comments.
- I've used a number of iMacs and they tend to get really hot and unstable (I can only imagine that the same fate reserved for my most recent MBP awaits them as well)
- I no longer trust the quality of the MBPs and think retina display on a 15" screen is a useless gimmick.

And finally, and this is where I'm very interested in what you may have to say, the options for building a Hack Mac seem limited to some older hardware elements, particularly the GPUs. I've browsed the Golden Builds and loved everything I saw. I'm just curious how far ahead the PC market is in terms of GPU performance and if these beautiful creations I've seen in these forums can compete with them.

I mean, I'm feeling a little disenchanted with mac at the moment. I feel they've lost their soul with the passing of SJ. It no longer seems to be about "thinking different" and great designs, but more their bottom line. This is probably why I love this community (and this risks sounding remarkably cheesy), but I think that the apple's spirit still lives here.

Anyway, I'm rambling when I should be sleeping. So yeah, Mac pro... very disappointing...and Hi! :D

- James

Well, the GPU issue is courtesy of Apple, since they only support a limited amount of GPUs.
That said, it looks like we can expect support for a lot more GPUs come 10.7.5/Mountain Lion, but we'll just have to wait and see how that goes. At the moment it looks like most Nvidia 500 and 600-series GPUs will work fine, but not much in terms of news with regards to AMD's 7000-series.

Hmm... Thanks for the heads up on the status of ML with the GPUs.

macpro2012new.png

pre-wwdc mac pro (2010)

quad-core:
intel® xeon® processor w3530 (8m cache, 2.80 ghz, 4.80 gt/s intel® qpi) 4/8 $2,499.00
intel® xeon® processor w3565 (8m cache, 3.20 ghz, 4.80 gt/s intel® qpi) 4/8 bto $2899
intel® xeon® processor w3680 (12m cache, 3.33 ghz, 6.40 gt/s intel® qpi)6/12 bto $3699

8-core:
2 x intel® xeon® processor e5620 (12m cache, 2.40 ghz, 5.86 gt/s intel® qpi) 4/8 $3,499.00

12-core:
2 x intel® xeon® processor x5650 (12m cache, 2.66 ghz, 6.40 gt/s intel® qpi) 6/12 $4,999.00
2 x intel® xeon® processor x5670 (12m cache, 2.93 ghz, 6.40 gt/s intel® qpi) 6/12 bto $6199

wwdc update (2012)

quad-core:
intel® xeon® processor w3565 (8m cache, 3.20 ghz, 4.80 gt/s intel® qpi) 4/8 $2,499.00
intel® xeon® processor w3680 (12m cache, 3.33 ghz, 6.40 gt/s intel® qpi)6/12 bto $2999

12-core:
2 x intel® xeon® processor e5645 (12m cache, 2.40 ghz, 5.86 gt/s intel® qpi) 6/12 $3,799.00
2 x intel® xeon® processor x5650 (12m cache, 2.66 ghz, 6.40 gt/s intel® qpi) 6/12 bto $4,999
2 x intel® xeon® processor x5675 (12m cache, 3.06 ghz, 6.40 gt/s intel® qpi) 6/12 bto $6,199

so they dropped the entry mac pro and made the quad core bto the new base, dropped the 8-core configuration, lowered the price of the entry 12-core configuration and changed cpus in 12-core bto options.

bfd

where are the sandy bridge-e lga 2011 systems? :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

o.o

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back